Flunking out.... drunk as hell. (2 Viewers)

I flunked out of LSU back in the day. I took a year off, worked my butt off and went back to school. For me it was a question of maturity (not saying that is your situation). I still never became a great student, but I made good grades in my major.

My wife graduated in four years with a 3.95 GPA (compared to my 2.4) and started in a similar field as me with a three year head start. Today we make similar money (very low six figures total). School is overrated - necessary to get a foot in the door - but overrated.

My advice - don't blow it off, but don't get too worried about it. You have plenty of time to decide you life's course. And it will change over and over again.

I never was good at math. I graduated in the early 90's and got a two year degree. I decided to go back to college and get a B. S. I had to take 2 maths (statistics and calculus). I hadn't taken a math class in about 7 years or so, so the little bit of math I did know was pretty rusty.

I dropped calculus twice and finally scraped by the third time. I then dropped calculus no less than 3 times. Each time going to tutoring and studying my *** off. I did fine in all of my other classes and this was my only hurdle to graduating.

So what did I do? I cheated my *** off. I pretty much had no choice if I wanted to graduate. I don't feel bad about it a bit. I would if I was an engineer or a scientist, but I'm not. I haven't done an algebra/statistics/calculus problem since I graduated college in 99. Take it as you want but I don't think you should be punished for not being able to grasp one subject.

"Flunking out"-- "drunk as hell"... I'm sure there's no correlation between the two. :dunno:

J/K Brah... Keep your head up; lots of us have flunked out from time to time- especially those of us who attended Louisiana State University. :9: ... Take some time off, grow up a little, figure out your priorities and come back with a renewed focus and determination.

+1

I don't know how old you are but take this oppertunity to have fun. After you realize that you're done and you are getting jealous of your aquintanceswho have stayed & school and now have stable 'carreer' jobs, but who have a bigger nickel to party with, you'll be back! That's what happened to my wife & I, and I must say that it's hard as hell trying to balance school (times 2) work, mortgage, and all the others things that come. We've been at it for a while & we are both finishing toghether this Dec., I am 28 & she's gona be 26.

Bottom line is just know that you can always go back, but know it's exponentially harder with the more responsibility you have on your plate!

Thats real cool of you to offer, but the thing id i get that, but I seem to clutch at exams, but only for math. is there such a thign as math test anxiety? I find if I dont know it right off I start plugging in formula's ..Its gotta be some odd thing, my regular GPA is 3.98 for god sakes...

Im really torqued because, I sort of wanted to grad out, move to Orleans.. help it heal, now I dunno after puttign all your eggs in that basket whats left?

weave a new basket.

Seriously dude, you are going to fail in life. failure is only true failure if you do not learn from it. so, learn what you to do, and just do it,

My brother used to get flustered as heck when he was balancing several classes at once, every now and then I had to tell him, step back, survey the field, get your bearings, and jump back in with both feet.

Oh,a and I feel your pain on match, I friggin hate math.

I went to college for five years and graduated with a B.A. in English; if there's one thing everyone knows about English majors it's that we are all, at our deepest core, anti-math. I hated math, I put off taking my math courses as long as I could and when I finally decided to "take the plunge," so to speak, I failed horribly. No joke. I failed college algebra three different times. I even substituted the first course I failed with a second, hoping to wipe out that first F. Didn't happen. The third try was probably the worst. I had test scores in the teens, man. Consistently. Finally, on my fourth try, Hurricane Katrina destroyed the campus I was attending and basically, my professor gave all of our class an A because he was incredibly busy dealing with his own problems, as most of us were at that time. That was the only class I was taking that semester and was the last one I needed to graduate.

Keep your head up, man. Be patient, positive and keep seeking other's advice. You'll sort through it all in time.

I failed out my senior year with about a semester to go. Went back a few years later and got my degree. DO NOT GIVE UP. Take it in summer school, I can't believe you are getting kicked out. I had to have multiple sub 2.0 semesters before they asked to leave. Take it in a community college, it probably won't count but it will haelp when you go back to university. I used to hate math, but I thnk a lot of that had to do with the teachers I had. Got a good one my second try at college, and I couldn't get enough math.

Finally, on my fourth try, Hurricane Katrina destroyed the campus I was attending and basically, my professor gave all of our class an A because he was incredibly busy dealing with his own problems, as most of us were at that time. That was the only class I was taking that semester and was the last one I needed to graduate.

That is what I call a silver lining. :9:

I am going to piggy back off alot of other posts and tell you what has helped me. I took Calculus at SLU and had to retake it at University of Memphis because they do not accept a D. I am also handicap in math.

1. Go to your teacher's office and ask to go over old tests. I bet they would love to and probably hold study sessions that you are not aware of because they are holding them during office hours and cannot invite the whole class.

2. Rate my Professors is key! There is always one cool teacher who just wants you to know the basics.

3. Calculus for dummys book. Alot easier to follow than the 200 dollar textbooks.

4.Forget your calculator. You will not learn anything using it and most teachers take off points for no work shown.

5. Cram Cram Cram. Math is the only subject i cram right before the test. When i made a d my first time around i made bs on all the tests but bombed the final because i forgot how to do everything.

Thats real cool of you to offer, but the thing id i get that, but I seem to clutch at exams, but only for math. is there such a thign as math test anxiety? I find if I dont know it right off I start plugging in formula's ..Its gotta be some odd thing, my regular GPA is 3.98 for god sakes...

Im really torqued because, I sort of wanted to grad out, move to Orleans.. help it heal, now I dunno after puttign all your eggs in that basket whats left?

So, you really aren't failing out, you just need to get two math credits right? It's not that bad.

Go to one of those Sylvan Learning centers or hire a tutor. You could also go talk to the professor. Tell them you have great grades, but you have some sort of block when it comes to math. Ask him if there is any extra work you can do to get your grades up or if there is anything he/she can suggest to relieve the anxiety you feel when taking a math test.

If all you need is a basic math credit, then see if you can take a community college class and transfer it in. A lot of times those classes are a bit easier. I knocked out bunches of credits by doing that, classes that, given the "wrong" professor at UT, would be a weed out class.

LS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom