Flunking out.... drunk as hell. (1 Viewer)

you sound exactly like i did at LSU, minus the drunk part.

i went to LSU for the 00-01 and 01-02 years, majoring in architecture. in that major, you actually start taking architecture classes as a freshman, as opposed to taking other prereq classes and then moving on to the major. well i was top of my class both years in all classes listed as ARCH, but i could not for the life of me pass calculus. i know it sounds pretty bass ackwards, considering the major i was taking. Even my professors could not understand it.

my strongest area in architecture was building models and doing full size construction, so i knew i needed to do something with a lot of hands on. it was the formulas that always bugged me out. i loved working on cars in my spare time, and was driving a pretty heavily modified civic hatchback. someone suggested that i look into finishing college with an automotive degree.

i ended up changing majors to automotive technology and transferred to louisiana tech. i finished 1st in my class, also the first student to become an ASE certified master tech while still in school. all i had to do was prove 1 year of work experience and i would get the credential.

since then, i have worked at several dealerships and have travelled the country to learn at Nissan/Infiniti and Honda/Acura schools. im currently managing an automotive shop in the New Orleans area, and i was the youngest person to get that position at the age of 25. im making +50k a year, which is more than my friends from architecture school are making as graduates. granted, in a few years they will pass me up in pay, but im not concerned because i am truly doing something that i love, and i am innovating things with my company every day.

my family felt the same way as yours, and were very let down when i told them of my desire to change majors. at graduation day, i thought that they would change their tone, but my mom said "you could have done better". it was heartbreaking, but it motivated me to prove her "right" so to say. i did a lot better, and now she cant say anything about me not meeting expectations.

keep your head up, and eventually you will pass the classes. i dropped trig twice at LSU before passing it, and so did a friend who ended up getting an architecture degree. i know you can do it.

my family felt the same way as yours, and were very let down when i told them of my desire to change majors. at graduation day, i thought that they would change their tone, but my mom said "you could have done better". it was heartbreaking, but it motivated me to prove her "right" so to say. i did a lot better, and now she cant say anything about me not meeting expectations.

I had a similar situation with my parents. I just cannot for the life of me understand that mindset. I'm not a parent, but I hope that, if and when I do become one, I will be able to support my kid(s) in what they want to do and love to do and not pull the "disappointed" or "expectation" card. No one wins in that situation.

So what math is it for art majors?

Its gotta be algebra/trig.

Where do you go to school?

Can you take the classes at a community college, transfer them to your school take one class and graduate?

A better idea would have been to go to your professor, tell him/her your situation and see if there was an alternative to a fill-in-the-dots scantron test. Like can you meet them in the afternoon and discuss the math or maybe work a few problems so he/she can see that you actually do understand what you are doing. :shrug:

>>Blew a math final, I have found I am flunking out of college....

Congratulations. I think my final semester of school's grades were all WF's and WD's. :covri:

TPS

Math can be intimidating. The problem is bad math education (and educational in general) at lower levels. Makes the mountain seem insurmountable when you get to college and dont have the foundations. You should renew your focus and find an out of class tutor to help you get through it.

Dont flunk out man. Its worth it to finish. I barely made it through with highly mediocre grades, then I started dating a straight A tulane grad student. It was amazing to watch. All that anxiety and stress, skipping all those classes, the slacking, all of it, was just me not doing right. It took watching someone else's example to show me how hard I had made it on myself. She wasnt Einstein, she just didnt think twice about doing what she had to do every single day to make her A, no matter what. Had plenty of time to go out, do stuff, besides.

Go back, and be like her dude :)

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." -A.E.
See? even physics geniuses who can't tie their own shoes have problems in math. Just study and you'll do fine. Your university should have a free tutoring service also.

Yes find the math tutor lab. it should be free which is the best part. also talk to the councilors on campus they can help with finding resources on how to pass the class whether it is what professor to take or students who can help you.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about someone with 3. + gpa flunking out because of a failed math class?
Your school should have a program that allows you to repeat the class and replace the F with the passing grade.
Are you just upset that the failed math class brought your overall GPA down a bit? I think we need some more information here.

He is not flunking out of school but he is not graduating this time either and that can be hard. Getting so close getting pumped knowing this is it and then not making it. Here is my advice. Get your drink on as you have and then pick yourself up off the floor and say "Well I flunked my math class. That sucks! But there is nothing I can do about it but sign up for it again next semester." Also if all you need are 2 math courses I bet you can get them from a community college over the summer! The courses meet everyday so it will stay fresh in your mind, the classes will be smaller so you will get more attention from the teacher when you need help, and it should be a little easier and a lot cheaper. Just make sure you can transfer the credits to your senior college when you are done.

My wife is not good at math either and she failed college alegbra once but she took it over the summer and buckled down and got through it. You can do it too.

Also there are hard courses for everyone man. I am a math guy. it is my favorite subject and I have always excelled but there are some math course that I struggled with. My first calculus class I struggled with and eventually dropped my first semester and retook it later, and I thought I was going to fail differential equations.

For me phsycology(and spelling evidently) was the worst subject ever and I had to take it twice.

Keep your head up. The only way to disappoint your family is to quit trying!

T

My oldest brother runs a construction crew and my other brother is an electrician. Both make as much or maybe more money that I do as an accountant. But if you really want to finish college then you will. I didn't get my degree until I was 29.

hey all,

Sorry to break my carefully crafted guise...
Blew a math final, I have found I am flunking out of college....

I'm an art major so well color me supprised and the level of math I need.
Long story short..I need a heckuva cheering up..anyone ???

I was to be the crown jewel of the family, first good ole boy to make good from our lot ya know??

Don't give up.

Take math classes on the side, work on your own. Keep a copy of that final. Work it over and over until you can do each problem.

Try again.

You can.

thanks man, thats reassuring.. I just need a few math classes to grad out. I'm so hating that right now...

IMO, that's part of your problem. You may or may not be good at math, but don't hate on it. It only provides unnecessary blockage. I'm not saying you have to love it, but you do have to accept it for what it is. Stop the blockage and your chi will flow better and the tests won't be so intimidating to you. So, relax and don't put such a taboo on it.

Good luck.

wormer.jpg

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Lay off the fast food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom