Flying or Driving? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
An observation I’ve made over the years is that, just like with other things in life (Beatles vs Stones, Jeopardy vs Wheel, Target vs Walmart)- there are two types of people in life: Those who, given the option to reach a destination, will choose to fly there, versus those who will almost always drive... I , even prior to the pandemic, have always been a driver, as long as the destination isnt more than about an 8 hour drive all-in.. Given enough time and leisure though, i would always choose driving over flying even if the destination were clear across the country... I know people though, who feel like it’s torture to be in a car for even two or three hours, and always choose the flying option... For years, i lived in Houston and commuted for work and family visits back to NOLA an average of once per month so about a dozen times a year.. i tried the flying option, and by the time you get to the airport an hour early, possibly check bags, go through security, board, fly, then rent a car in NOLA- you’re looking at about a 4 hour commitment.. versus about a 5.5 or 6 hr drive.. and that‘s IF everything goes perfect with the airline; in my experience there was some sort of glitch or delay about 50% of the time... If driving, i can set the temperature where i want, stop when i want , eat what i want and listen to music as loud as i want ... What say you?

I have about a 10-12 hour drive tolerance. Anything more than that, and I'd rather fly. Actually anything more than 8 hours I'd consider flying if it was cost effective enough. Orlando is a good case in point, it's about 9.5 hours and not a bad drive, but if I can find a cheap enough flight, I'm flying there.

Also, I guess it depends on what I'm doing once I get there. I would never fly to a place like Gattlinburg because you need your car too much.

I'm with you on the driving. There has to be a substantial benefit time wise for me to choose flying over driving.

Like you, it just depends where I'm going. I usually give a 12 hour drive distance. Anything longer than that and I'll fly, but only if it's just me and my wife. If I have my kids, I'm driving. Plus, whenever we go to Florida, we stop at my parent's house in NOLA for the night to visit with them and rest.

i don't really like flying but i will if it's more than a 10-12 hour drive....i have driven to and from Raleigh a few times and it's just slightly too long for me to do it again....

I actually love driving long distances. Knocking out a 13-14 hour drive is nothing for me.

Older I get, the harder it is to drive. I am in my mid 30s. I get exhausted driving if it's over 3 hours. I can fly, even if it's to Houston, take 6 hours between leaving my house and arriving at my final destination, and not be exhausted. I don't know if it's the boredom of sitting in the car, but I don't like driving far distances anymore. I used to love it.

I actually love driving long distances. Knocking out a 13-14 hour drive is nothing for me.

Same! I love it, as long as the arrival deadline isn’t too tight, and i can veer off onto some country roads on the way and maybe check out an out-of-the-way place or two.. Interstate all the way, in a big hurry, can get old- but is still preferable to flying IMO.

Older I get, the harder it is to drive. I am in my mid 30s. I get exhausted driving if it's over 3 hours. I can fly, even if it's to Houston, take 6 hours between leaving my house and arriving at my final destination, and not be exhausted. I don't know if it's the boredom of sitting in the car, but I don't like driving far distances anymore. I used to love it.

I will say that I’m glad i dont live in Houston anymore because that drive on I-10 all the way to NOLA is the most boring, worst drive I’ve made.. did it a million times and hopefully never again.. And you’ll always catch traffic in either LC, Beaumont, or if not- BR gets you every time (i would usually hop on Hwy 1 or whatever it’s called around Lafayette to Boutte; It’s longer as the crow flies but keeps you saner).. Others here in the past have talked about how boring it is to drive across Kansas and other places, and I don’t have too much experience with that- but man Houston to NOLA is tough.

Fly! I hate driving over 3 hours, though we took a road trip a few weeks ago, only because the air fares were not that friendly and I wasn't about to use my sky miles because the mileage cost was also ludicrous, $800/65k miles RT to Albuquerque. It was an enjoyable trip, drove the first 12 hrs to Amarillo and 4 more hours the next day to Santa Fe, with stops multi day stay overs through NM and CO. I avoided the interstate like the plague the whole trip up and back.

If I'm traveling alone, I actually prefer to drive. I can listen to whatever I want on the stereo. I can stop where and when I feel like eating and there are usually less bathroom stops.

I'd rather fly when traveling with the family, unless it involves a lot of extraneous items that I don't want to pay to check (beach items, hockey bags, golf clubs, coolers, etc).

I usually limit myself to 9-10 hrs per day. I can go longer, but I do know that my level of alertness and concentration starts to drop, especially when the sun starts going down.

I used to fly everywhere back before 911 and TSA. Before then, planes were half full and you could lounge. Now, it's like being packed in a sardine can and even first class is like riding the back of the bus.

I'm in for driving at least 8 hours before I think to fly. My wife would rather fly in for games than drive 3 hours, but it's not happening.

The aggravation of airports, rental cars, missed flights and being cramped in a packed plane has to far outweigh drive time and given that I can stop and do as I please in the car, it's a simple choice.

It's as much as the amount of time that I have off as it is the distance. My usual preferred place to travel is the Rocky Mountains to go skiing. It's a 22 hour drive (each way), and though I've made the drive many times, the travel distance can use up more of my time at the resort than I'm willing to part with. Also the recoup time of a 22 hr drive is usually about another 22 hrs to feel right again.

A week goes by really quickly on a vacation. So I'm always in favor of getting to my destination as soon as I can unless it is less than a half day drive to get there. With only a week to play, if it's longer than that, I'm probably going to fly. (But of course this was my thinking prior to the pandemic. It's hard to say right now what mode I'd use if I ever get to travel again.)

I agree with Bill. I fly because I don't have enough vacation time. If you have to drive 3-4 days that doesn't give you much time at your destination. However if I were retired I would buy a motorhome and never fly domestically again.

In my previous life I would drive between NOLA and Fort Lauderdale or Miami a few times a month for work. I once did that drive in total silence (11 hours or so) , no radio, no cell phone, just me and the road and some beef jerky and some water. Greatest drive ever. Back then we had young kids and to be honest I cherished that quiet time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom