Folk music! Who you like? (1 Viewer)

When I think of folk it's pretty much Guthrie, Seeger, Peter Paul & Mary, and then pre-electric Bob, Baez, and can't forget Phil Ochs.

But my favorite is probably The Folksmen.

Is indie folk allowed? Fleet Foxes is one of my favorite bands.

I love that Father John Misty used to be Fleet Foxes' drummer. He's so great.

I'm a big Pinegrove fan and they get that label a lot. Though I don't really agree with it.

That's tough, because at some point back then they were all my favorites. I would probably go with Jim Croce. My high school girlfriend introduced me to his music way back then. I still listen to his music at times. I often wonder what he might have done later had it not been for his passing tragically in a plain crash at 30 yrs old.

Live film of Jim Croce with Maury Muehliesen, who was also lost in the crash:

I like the Time in a Bottle song. Classic!

I think Led Zeppelin could of done a really good cover of the song. It reminds me of their style for some reason.

Wow, that's a tough question! There can't help but be personal bias in any answer, but I'll give it my best shot, thinking about the ones I think are the most influential to popular social culture and/or popular music in general:

1. This Land is Your Land - Woody Guthrie
2. Turn! Turn! Turn! - Pete Seeger
3. The Times They Are a-Changin' - Bob Dylan
4. Where Have All the Flowers Gone? - Pete Seeger
5. We Shall Overcome - Charles Albert Tindley (originally "I'll Overcome Some Day" words changed by Pete Seeger)
6. The Sound of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel
7. If I Had a Hammer - Pete Seeger
8. Blowin' in the Wind - Bob Dylan
9. Ohio - Neil Young
10. Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie

That was extremely difficult! I feel wrong leaving out "The House of the Rising Sun (Woody Guthrie)," "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Robbie Robertson)," "Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell)," "Goodnight Irene (Huddie Ledbetter)," "Tom Dooley (traditional song from Carolina)," "City of New Orleans (Steve Goodman),""Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Dylan)," "Scarborough Fair (traditional Irish air)," "Mr. Tambourine Man (Dylan)," "Big Yellow Taxi (Mitchell),' "Eve of Destruction (Barry McGuire),' "Puff the Magic Dragon (Peter Yarrow)," "Like a Rolling Stone (Dylan)," "Time in a Bottle (Jim Croce)," and "Man of Constant Sorrow (Ralph Stanley).

So that's like 25 songs already I feel like ought to be in the top ten. Even then, I've barely scratched the surface!

My teacher was Jerome Hines who sang leading roles for 41 seasons for The Met and at every major opera house in the world. However, he made his debut with San Francisco Opera in 1938 and his agent made him change the spelling of his name in 1941 (originally Heinz) because the anti-German feelings during WWII. The list of people in the entertainment industry who felt the need to change their names or were talked into it by an agent is almost endless.

Great list!

Who do you think is a modern folk singer, that does the genre justice?

Probably more of a fusion/crossover artist, but I like me some Lyle. He’s a great storyteller.

Bump this ahead to about the 1:50 mark if you don’t want to hear the John Prine intro

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom