Food Substitute Battle (1 Viewer)

The real problem is nut juice does not sound as appealing as almond milk.

It is nut juice.

My personal favorite thing to do in line at coffee shops is when almond milk is ordered by someone in front if me I say out loud is nut juice good in coffee?

I sure get some great looks and occasionally I get someone to play back that is not such a snob.

I really don't care either way I know what I am buying have not been fooled by packing or silly names in a long time.

I like almond milk but how does a 5 oz can of almonds cost $5 and a half gal of almond milk cost $2.50? Somting is not right...

From wikipedia, looks like you are buying mostly water that is mixed with some almond grindings. Maybe they should call it almond coffee?

The basic method of modern domestic almond milk production is to grind almonds in a blender with water, then strain out the almond pulp (flesh) with a strainer or cheesecloth. Almond milk can also be made by adding water to almond butter

On a related note, I recently tried one of those plant burgers, definitely disappointing.

I’ve had some really good veggie burgers and some really good mushroom burgers and some really good bean burgers

But not one of them would be confused with a really good beef burger

There was a story in the book emperors of chocolate where Milton Hershey made an ice cream using rice instead of milk that supposedly tasted like the real thing

Dairy farmers then begged (or threatened, Hershey used tons of milk for his chocolate) him to not to sell the ice cream or give anyone the recipe

It’s a dumb argument. Milk, meat, oil etc are not proprietary terms. Lobbyists wasting money, politicians wasting time. The dairy industry could end up having to call their product “cow lactation” and wouldn’t that be a fitting end to their own stupidity... because after all, how do I know their “milk” comes from a cow and not a goat unless it is on the label?
Bovine squeezin's

giphy.gif

I’ve had some really good veggie burgers and some really good mushroom burgers and some really good bean burgers

But not one of them would be confused with a really good beef burger

There was a story in the book emperors of chocolate where Milton Hershey made an ice cream using rice instead of milk that supposedly tasted like the real thing

Dairy farmers then begged (or threatened, Hershey used tons of milk for his chocolate) him to not to sell the ice cream or give anyone the recipe

If turkey can't beat beef, what chance does a vegetable have?

....It’s also why I tried both the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger. If I could enjoy a non-meat product that tasted as good as meat, I’d never eat another hamburger again.........

this is the best thread ever - thank you everyone!

....It’s also why I tried both the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger. If I could enjoy a non-meat product that tasted as good as meat, I’d never eat another hamburger again.........

a thousand times nay
you know why Texas de Brazil is my favorite restaurant? Because the only thing better than eating an animal is eating several animals

Tofurky wasn’t keeping cattle ranchers awake at night.

For decades, veggie burgers were the token offering to vegans at the backyard barbecue, and Tofurky was the Thanksgiving benediction to the meat-free loved ones in our lives.

But as plant-based meat goes from an afterthought to a financial juggernaut that aims to change how most people eat, the opposition has suddenly awakened: Many of the country’s 800,000 cattle ranchers have declared war on newcomers Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat, which use technology to make products that hew closely to the taste and texture of meat, and now “first-generation” veggie burgers and similar products are caught in the crossfire.

In 2019, officials in nearly 30 states have proposed bills to prohibit companies from using words such as meat, burger, sausage, jerky or hot dog unless the product came from an animal that was born, raised and slaughtered in a traditional way..............

Tofurky wasn’t keeping cattle ranchers awake at night.

For decades, veggie burgers were the token offering to vegans at the backyard barbecue, and Tofurky was the Thanksgiving benediction to the meat-free loved ones in our lives.

But as plant-based meat goes from an afterthought to a financial juggernaut that aims to change how most people eat, the opposition has suddenly awakened: Many of the country’s 800,000 cattle ranchers have declared war on newcomers Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat, which use technology to make products that hew closely to the taste and texture of meat, and now “first-generation” veggie burgers and similar products are caught in the crossfire.

In 2019, officials in nearly 30 states have proposed bills to prohibit companies from using words such as meat, burger, sausage, jerky or hot dog unless the product came from an animal that was born, raised and slaughtered in a traditional way..............

i can see and agree with the limit of 'meat' only meaning 'meat'
but all of the other terms don't have to be animal-based - and they are more about a process than a thing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom