Food Substitute Battle (1 Viewer)

McDonald’s dips their toes in the plant burger pool
==============
McDonald’s is finally taking a nibble of the plant-based burger.

McDonald’s said Thursday that will sell the PLT, or the plant, lettuce and tomato burger for 12 weeks in 28 restaurants in Southwestern Ontario by the end of the month.

McDonald’s says it developed a special recipe using burgers from Beyond Meat, a California-based startup that makes “meat” from pea protein, canola oil, beet juice and other ingredients..........

My daughter is a vegetarian and I tell her all the time that "almond milk" isn't milk. They should call it almond drink or something.
I saw a post earlier that said milk and rice aren't proprietary terms, but they have been around long enough that you have an expectation on what you're getting when you purchase these things. Also, it just seems fraudulent to claim these things are something they aren't. You could say "as good as...." or "you won't miss......", but to say it is something is misleading.

My daughter is a vegetarian and I tell her all the time that "almond milk" isn't milk. They should call it almond drink or something.
I saw a post earlier that said milk and rice aren't proprietary terms, but they have been around long enough that you have an expectation on what you're getting when you purchase these things. Also, it just seems fraudulent to claim these things are something they aren't. You could say "as good as...." or "you won't miss......", but to say it is something is misleading.
you mean like when food companies use terms like “light”, reduced calories, low sodium, healthy, organic, and natural flavor?

totally a female approach. males look at food as if it might taste good.
I disagree it's a gender thing. It's a "people who don't give a sheet what they eat" thing, male or female or transgender.

What if a dairy started selling almond flavored real cows milk, called it almond milk and vegans/vegetarians/the lactose intolerant bought it?

What could they say?

We told you it was almond milk

A couple articles on the religious debate/implications of these food substitutes
==============

.....Dietary restrictions are woven into religious texts, the Old Testament and the New, the Koran, the Vedas and the Upanishads.

Some are mercifully practical, as in the law of necessity in Islamic jurisprudence: “That which is necessary makes the forbidden permissible.”

This month, Tyson announced it is investing in a company that will launch plant-based shrimp early next year, raising a curious question.

Will it be kosher? The short answer is its ingredients — which mimic the verboten crustacean with a proprietary algae blend — could well be both kosher and halal.

Once the product launches, the company will seek certification so that Jews who keep kosher and Muslims — certain Muslim groups avoid shellfish — can enjoy a shrimp cocktail, scampi, a po’ boy or ceviche.

And yet. In this era of plenitude and choice and disruptive technology, what is permissible, what is forbidden and what is flouting the letter of religious law?

The food system is in flux, the rise of plant-based meats and the promise of cell-cultured meats bending categories such that legislation, ideology and theology are scrambling to keep up...........

====================

For as long as religious dietary guidelines have existed, somewhere there has likely been at least one moderately devoted practitioner desperately searching for loopholes.

But the advent of technology that enables non-meat products to taste more like meat than ever poses a fresh ethical question that’s particularly relevant this time of year: Can Catholics, in good conscience, eat plant-based meat substitutes like the Impossible Burger during Lent?

“I will be honest: when someone asked me that, my first thought was, ‘Why didn’t I think of that?! It’s genius!!' ” the Rev. Marlon Mendieta, of St. Patrick Catholic Church in Fayetteville, N.C., wrote in an email. “But then my conscience kicked in, and I just felt that I wouldn’t be okay with that.”............

totally a female approach. males look at food as if it might taste good.
In the last few months I've tried to eat better. I figure it's now time to pay for all my past sins food wise. I'm eating garbage now I wouldn't have even considered a couple years ago. That being said....I'm finding I actually like more than I thought I would. Spaghetti squash instead of noodles and cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. There are days when I contemplate if I'd rather just die but most days I can eat that stuff and be satisfied. I draw the line at fake milks though....either the real thing or nothing for me.

Today I tried to substitute a PayDay bar for a Snickers since Snickers wasn't available. Both have peanuts, and both are about 240 calories. But that's about where the similarities end.

Plant-based shrimp huh? Maybe one day Drago's will have chargilled plant-based oysters.

In the last few months I've tried to eat better. I figure it's now time to pay for all my past sins food wise. I'm eating garbage now I wouldn't have even considered a couple years ago. That being said....I'm finding I actually like more than I thought I would. Spaghetti squash instead of noodles and cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. There are days when I contemplate if I'd rather just die but most days I can eat that stuff and be satisfied. I draw the line at fake milks though....either the real thing or nothing for me.

Fairlife will cost a bit more, but the taste is good. Basically, they have filtered out the sugars so that per serving it has more protein, calcium, etc etc

Today I tried to substitute a PayDay bar for a Snickers since Snickers wasn't available. Both have peanuts, and both are about 240 calories. But that's about where the similarities end.

Plant-based shrimp huh? Maybe one day Drago's will have chargilled plant-based oysters.
There was a time when the chocolate covered PayDay was a thing. It was the Baby Jesus's favorite candy bar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom