Food Substitute Battle (2 Viewers)

I swore off the sugar and watch my carbs. I discovered a week or 2 ago that Atkins has "candy bars". Chocolate covered coconut is basically a big mounds bar. Mounds and almond Joy are my favorite of all time so I was next level excited to find those.

I swore off the sugar and watch my carbs. I discovered a week or 2 ago that Atkins has "candy bars". Chocolate covered coconut is basically a big mounds bar. Mounds and almond Joy are my favorite of all time so I was next level excited to find those.
After reading this back to myself......I feel sorry for myself. What have I become? :smilielol:

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Someone has made wine in a laboratory.

Well, not wine, exactly. It’s a “molecular exclusive” made from “neutral spirits with carbonation, natural flavors, caramel color and beta carotene for color.”

But I’ll call it wine, for simplicity’s sake. It’s 6 percent alcohol, and it’s supposed to taste like moscato.......

Solimine objects to the word “synthetic” to describe Gemello and its sister products. “Our use of pure molecules from plants (you can also think of them as natural flavor and aroma tinctures or extracts) means that we do not synthesize, engineer, or artificially create or augment any ingredient or compound that we use in our wines and spirits,” she said in an email.

“When we say ‘pure molecules or compounds,’ these are factually molecules and compounds that occur naturally in nature without the need to change them.”

She’s lucky “Frankenwine” has already been used to describe highly extracted, monstrous wines manipulated to the extreme with various additives...........

In the world of plant milks, the base ingredient is everything. The variety is dizzying: cashew milk, soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk, even macadamia milk.

We call them milks, but they don’t act like cow’s milk. Some taste bitter when heated or separate when cooled. Until recently, none had mimicked actual dairy.

That was exactly what NotCo, a start-up founded in Chile, wanted to do. Over several months starting in 2019, scientists there developed artificial-intelligence technology to find plants that could function like cow’s milk at a molecular level.

There were times, however, when the humans had to intervene — like when casein, the main protein in cow’s milk, was simulated by an algae that turned the drink an unappetizing shade of blue.

Then the scientists landed on something promising, and not blue.
“This is freaking milk!” Matias Muchnick, the company’s chief executive, recalled saying after his first taste. “What is it?”

Two of the key ingredients, it turned out, were pineapple and cabbage — something no human would have ever dreamed of pouring into their breakfast cereal.

The product, called NotMilk, uses more than a dozen ingredients, including chicory root fiber, coconut oil and pea protein, to make what the packaging calls a “plant-based milk alternative.” Featured on the carton: a drawing of a cow crossed out in black — erased…….

In the world of plant milks, the base ingredient is everything. The variety is dizzying: cashew milk, soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk, even macadamia milk.

We call them milks, but they don’t act like cow’s milk. Some taste bitter when heated or separate when cooled. Until recently, none had mimicked actual dairy.

That was exactly what NotCo, a start-up founded in Chile, wanted to do. Over several months starting in 2019, scientists there developed artificial-intelligence technology to find plants that could function like cow’s milk at a molecular level.

There were times, however, when the humans had to intervene — like when casein, the main protein in cow’s milk, was simulated by an algae that turned the drink an unappetizing shade of blue.

Then the scientists landed on something promising, and not blue.
“This is freaking milk!” Matias Muchnick, the company’s chief executive, recalled saying after his first taste. “What is it?”

Two of the key ingredients, it turned out, were pineapple and cabbage — something no human would have ever dreamed of pouring into their breakfast cereal.

The product, called NotMilk, uses more than a dozen ingredients, including chicory root fiber, coconut oil and pea protein, to make what the packaging calls a “plant-based milk alternative.” Featured on the carton: a drawing of a cow crossed out in black — erased…….

Yeah, my wife has gone from whole milk to lactose free, to soy, to almond, and is now drinking oat milk. :covri: I'm still on whole, but last couple of months, mostly lactose free.

Yeah, my wife has gone from whole milk to lactose free, to soy, to almond, and is now drinking oat milk. :covri: I'm still on whole, but last couple of months, mostly lactose free.

let her know that a milk tasting milk substitute is on the way

Seems to me that I’ve read ages ago that America is one of the few countries where people drink milk

All countries use it in cooking and making cheese, ice cream etc.

but once a baby is done with breast feeding or bottles never drink a glass of plain milk again for the rest of their lives

I don’t know if it’s true or not but found it interesting

Last edited:
Seems to me that I’ve read ages ago that America is one of the few countries where people drink milk

but once a baby is done with breast feeding or bottles never drink a glass of plain milk again, don’t know if it’s true or not but found it interesting
I’m not sure what other countries have the space for the kind of large scale industrial milk production that we have

What do teats have to do with anything? I have nipples, Greg, could you milk me?
original.gif

but once a baby is done with breast feeding or bottles never drink a glass of plain milk again for the rest of their lives

I don’t know if it’s true or not but found it interesting

in many of those countries, they drink it when they can get it. My exGF is from Colombia and they just couldn’t get it often so it was a real treat. She was shocked when she came here and saw milk literally going bad in the store. She has a bowl of cereal before she goes to bed every night now simply because she can.

in many of those countries, they drink it when they can get it. My exGF is from Colombia and they just couldn’t get it often so it was a real treat. She was shocked when she came here and saw milk literally going bad in the store. She has a bowl of cereal before she goes to bed every night now simply because she can.
Had a colleague who grew up hella poor - I think she said she never had dessert in a restaurant until college.
Now dessert is the first thing she orders/eats when she does eat out

In an unusual ad campaign that is running a full-page in the New York Times and on a billboard in Midtown Manhattan this weekend, a plant-based food company is claiming that “plant-based lovers do it better.”

This Valentine’s weekend blitz is the latest sign of the increasingly vitriolic rhetoric between plant-based food companies and mainstream meat industries, one that could even be considered below the belt.

The alternative egg company Eat Just uses the ads to direct people to its campaign’s website, which claims men who eat a healthy plant-based diet are less at risk for erectile dysfunction, citing research.

Erectile dysfunction tends to go with age. But it can also commonly occur in men with high blood pressure, a history of heart disease or diabetes. These health problems have in turn been linked to higher red meat consumption. But there is by no means universal consensus on this.

And the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association has declared the campaign as having “no basis in fact.”

Before we get any further, understand that Eat Just, based in San Francisco, is in the business of selling its plant-based JUST Egg and is trying to peck away at sales of traditional chicken eggs, much in the way that Impossible Foods or Beyond Meat are trying to woo animal-based meat eaters.

“Using Valentine’s Day as a way to open this conversation in a fun way is something we wanted to do,” said Tom Rossmeissl, Eat Just’s head of global marketing and creator of this new marketing campaign.

“This checked off all the boxes, as something meaningful and provocative that would get eyeballs. We’ve learned you have to make it personal: Do you want to live longer, perform better and, yes, have better sex?”

During the coronavirus pandemic, alternative protein products soared in sales and popularity, prompting nearly every giant food company to hustle its own versions to market.

More than 70 companies are working on the “next generation of” meat and seafood products made with cultivated cells, and dozens more are aiming to sell alternative meat and dairy products made through fermentation.

Indeed, the influx of so many new choices combined with supply chain problems weighed on all plant-based protein sales, which fell in late 2021.

In the midst of all this, traditional animal agriculture has pushed back against alt-meat, claiming common nomenclature — words like “meat” or “milk” — confuses consumers, prompting a flurry of legislative activity and lawsuits around labeling…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom