Foolproof drafting: Vital lessons from Saints history (1 Viewer)

Geldo

Dome Patrol disciple
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of history and believe in learning lessons from the past so I decided to go back 30 years into Saints draft history and see what it can tell us about future strategy.
Here’s what I discovered – hope you enjoy it….
<!--[if !supportLists]-->
Don’t draft receivers in the first two rounds. Take one in the seventh round instead! The best two receivers in Saints history (sorry Joe Horn fans) are Eric Martin and Marques Colston, both were taken in round 7. When we grab a receiver early we normally end up disappointed. (Lindsay Scott, rd 1 1982; Lonzell Hill Rd 2, 1987; Brett Perriman Rd 2, 1988 Wes Carroll, rd 2, 1991; Dante Stallworth rd 1, 2002; Devery Henderson rd 2, 2004; Robert Meacham, rd 1 2007)

<!--[if !supportLists]-->Don’t ever reach for a quarterback - get free agents instead. Remember Dave Wilson rd 1 supp, 1981 (cost a first rounder); Richard Todd 1984 (trade cost a first rounder); Steve Walsh (trade cost three high picks and set the team back years). In contrast our more productive QBs Bobby Hebert and Drew Brees came on freebies.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->Scared of the first-round bust curse? Then pick an offensive lineman. Just about the only thing you can rely on the Saints to do well on draft day is taking good blocker with early round picks. The great and good include: Stan Brock T rd 1 1980; Brad Edelman G rd 2 1982; Steve Korte G rd 2 1983; Jim Dumbrowski T rd1 1986; Willie Roaf T rd 1 1993; Chris Naeole G rd 1 1997; Kyle Turley T rd 1 1998; John Stinchcomb T Rd 2 2003; Jammal Brown T Rd 1 2005. The only guy not to have any real impact was second rounder Daren Gilbert, and he still played as a backup for four years.

<!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->Guaranteed recipe for a first-round disaster. Take a DT in round 1. We’ve done it twice: Shawn Knight in 1987 – hardly played a down. John Sullivan in 2003 – most people wish he’d played even less than Knight.
Want an impact linebacker, then practice by waiting for a bus. That wait you’ll get used to waiting for a lifetime before four come a long almost at once! Mills, Johnson, Swilling, Del Rio in two years – then 20 years pass and nothing….
Never draft a defensive back, especially a corner. The last high-quality good corner we drafted (who stayed healthy and played more two good seasons) was probably Dave Waymer rd 2 1980. I still had hair back then!
Never draft a kicker in round one! I guess this should be obvious and that someone on our FO team just sneezed during the 1979 selection and we ended up with Erxleben.

:9:...I also believe we've drafted some decent RB's during our time

Reggie Bush...Duece Mac...George Rogers...etc...you get the picture...

Last edited:
Good analysis; the facts ARE what they are.

Disagree, however... because records are set to be broken. I think last year was a fluke. And with all the quality this team drafted in 2006, it shows that they do know how to evaluate it.

The problem with 2007 (IMHO) is that our playoff run was so successful that the coaching staff was evaluating with their heart, and not their head. When you think of how much emotion went along with fueling the team's "miracle run" on '06, you also have to remember that your hearts and souls become knit-together (in a brotherhood bond). That can definitely clutter your mind. When you get this close with your players, you get ...sort of a Bum Phillips syndrome (you old-schoolers know what I mean by that).

I think Mueller and Payton have their heads clear this offseason. And somehow, I believe we'll truly get the best players available ...be it via FA or via the 2008 draft.

...wait 'n see, dude. :cool:

:gosaints:

:plus-un2:i love the thread but i disagree about DT's sure we got unlucky but look at the great marcus stoud kevin williams warren sapp just to name a few i love the thread great work

This is very interesting, and thanks for the work in compiling these names. The WR list was especially appalling, and I fear that history may be repeating itself with the 2007 draft inasmuch as we have seen literally nothing from Meachem except one preseason TD catch. If the Saints determine that a WR is the BPA at #10, that will tell us a lot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom