Explained Football, cascading mistakes, and the inescapability of 'inertia' (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm working an article that will be focusing more on X's and O's (something positive/informative to pull from recent games), but I do want to weigh in on the course of the season.

As a coach it's important to emphasize that games, seasons--they aren't over until they are over. You are constantly focusing on corrections, the next play, the next game, how to win, how to turn things around, even as the season slips away and everything seems to be going wrong, constantly.

But as a fan, I have to say that it is hard to see the Saints turning this around. It's been hard to see it for really a few weeks now. You want to stay optimistic, but to course-correct the season at this point would require a monumental change in fortune. Some of it--like injuries, questionable penalties or judgement calls by officials, the ball just bouncing the wrong way--is out of the team's control. Other issues... they may have once been in their control, but now they have taken on a life of their own.

I can't speak for all coaches, but I kind of refer to this as inertia. The ship is already gaining momentum in one direction and turning it around now is going to take a multitude of events going right, much of which has now cascaded beyond our control. The mistakes, the turnovers, the missed opportunities--they have happened in so many different ways, so many uncharacteristic ways (good players missing tackles, good players fumbling the ball, good players unable to pull in timely turnovers themselves or else having them negated by the worst-timed penalties imaginable).

This sounds a little abstract, but it isn't. I've touched on it before how turnovers and penalties and critical mistakes don't just create losses, but losses also create turnovers, penalties, and critical mistakes. It's a feedback loop that very much exists, and once it begins it is difficult to interrupt--often because a coach or coaches who fail to address it properly (or, in the worst case, expect it to fix itself). There is usually a Rubicon, a point of no return--maybe it's 1-3, 1-4--where that cascade really starts to pick up pace and now everyone is pressing, is moving in different directions, trying to diagnose and correct problems individually because, frankly, the coaches have been unable to properly diagnose and correct them during that critical early period.

This is also called "losing the team."

Being a coach--especially a head coach--is a monumental task. I am often faulted as being "too generous" when it comes to giving coaches the benefit of the doubt because I've been on both sides of it. But there is definitely something missing in DA's performance. And no, I don't think it's the low-hanging fruit--the perceived lack of emotion on the sidelines or anything like that. I've been around championship coaches who were fiery and emotional, and others who were complete dorks. And while I don't feel comfortable affirmatively diagnosing what exactly is going on with him in particular, I can clearly see the signs of what is plaguing this team. I can see the poor decisions that led them here (granted, a lot of these can be diagnosed in hindsight, but even at the time they felt questionable, at best).

I preach a lot of things as an HC, but one I beat like a drum is that in close games, in critical games, you will have maybe 2 or 3 opportunities to win. Yesterday the Saints consistently missed on every one of those opportunities. Some, like the Olave "drop" was a convoluted and, in my mind, TERRIBLE call by the refs (no conspiracy, just a crap call). But there were other chances to make up for it. There was the drop by Juwan Johnson. The fumbles by Kamara. The interception by Alontae Taylor--a GREAT play that could have easily swung the game--negated by a dumb mistake by Chris Harris.

So how do you win on those opportunities? You do it through preparation. Mental preparation, film, emphasizing situationals during practice. When I start scouting a team, especially one with whom we maybe don't match up extremely favorably, I start looking for those critical situations. Is there a defender who bites on the double move? Let's get those cutups. What part of the field does like to jump the slant or the stick? What formation on what down and distance gives us plus numbers in the run game? Where have they struggled in the red zone? Where on the field can we take a shot and have the highest percentage of success (a one-on-one, a pressure we can eat)? Where do they set the back on 3rd and long in their protection, and how can we get him in a 2 on 1? What route combos can we bait them into a turnover?

Now you narrow that down--pick maybe 3 of those "opportunities"--and you emphasize them, simulating them in practice. They like to throw smash against cover 2 between the 40s? Let's bait them into a pick, work on the CBs hesitating on their sink and then bailing late to try and snag the throw to the corner.

I'm actually oversimplifying here, but if there is one area where I feel like the Saints are just missing, constantly, repeatedly, it is that they are consistently failing to emphasize--or emphasize correctly--those situational opportunities that can win games. Maybe the other teams are out-scouting, out-preparing them? Maybe they are just too busy trying to correct tackling and blocking to find the time/resources in practice to get detailed. But Sean Payton was an example of a coach who always seemed to hit on the right opportunities.

Why do the Saints' most talented players a look to be in regression? To me, this is a big part of it. Why do we keep fumbling inside the ten, why are we not turning the ball over on defense, why are we dropping critical passes? Why are the Saints the absolute worst team in the league at the end of the half (and in that critical 8 minutes in the middle of the game--last 4 minutes before and first 4 minutes after halftime, when so many games are won and lost)?

A lot of it comes down to emphasis. And a lot of poor emphasis comes down to simple understanding and awareness. Unlike injuries, this is something the Saints have a lot more control over. But the coaches are not getting it done. And as much as I hope the Saints will win out the rest season, I just don't see this getting corrected anytime soon.

Last edited:
He's terrible at leadership with an average IQ. I'd argue all great coaches excel in at least one of these.
I don’t believe in IQ. But you can’t expect me to believe that when our defense has played well when it has healthier, better players. It’s not a coincidence.

Chris Harris shouldn’t be even on the team. But we’ve been skull rocked by injuries. We clearly were executing the X’s and O’s out there. That indicates being well coached.

But there 100% is something less tangible missing from Allen. And that something is why he cannot remain as HC next year.

You have two types of problems.

1 - Problems of talent. I don't care who you are, this player is not going to beat this other player. Suffice to say, most areas I don't think the Saints have this problem, except when their top players get injured.

2 - Problems of motivation. The way you spot a problem of motivation is you get into a situation where the "life" of a player depends on it. Can they execute?

We saw in the Raiders game, this team CAN execute. However, without the right focus and motivation, this team will not.

Motivation is a problem of coaching. Which coaches? There is only one name that is accountable = DA.

I think DA next season has the hardest training camp we've ever had. Like Millsaps hard. Safe to say, I think DA thought this job would be a lot easier with the team he inherited. He needs to learn how to motivate?

I think he will get at least another year (i.e. another entire season) but maybe even two!

It's abundantly clear that something fundamental is wrong with this team. To me, that " something" goes beyond injuries-- although I frankly believe that the injuries are the main culprit.

Dan's OP suggests that the situation is spiraling out of control, and it's difficult to disagree. The question becomes how to deal with it, how long should it be allowed to fester, and when should a move be made. It's also clear that there is no good solution, no panacea.

If Allen is fired, who takes over? It's like so many posts on the board that advocate trading Player x or cutting Player Y. Such posts may have diagnosed or defined the problem-- and that's obviously useful, Step 1--but at some point, the process of righting the ship has to go beyond that stage.

It would surprise me if Dan's analysis were not spot on.

Even in that final 2017-2020 stretch of Payton/Brees, we could always count on the low situational football IQ of some players (or officials) to pop up at the worst times. You can only keep it hidden/disguised for so long.....and right now we simply don't have the locker room or coaching staff to do so.

How about not going for it when you're on the opponents end of the field (4th and 2), you know you're going to have a tough time scoring, but are content on punting? I have yet to understand why Hill is not in the game, even if he's not going to get the ball on a designed play, use him to draw attention.
We have SERIOUS attention to detail issues among the issues I have with the HC-OC.

Great post Coach, I’ve been pointing out in other threads the turnover differential as an example of poor coaching and understanding….since 2017 the Saints have had a positive turnover differential (even with the injury plagued 2021)….this year they are last in turnover differential…..they obviously didn’t stress this in the offseason or IF they did they did a poor job of it….I’m not going to get into DA’s seeming lack of emotion or caring after them because I don’t think that is a huge deal….but that single stat to me is very damning and telling that this coaching staff isn’t getting the job done….

Complacency. I think the writing is on the wall that this is at least a two year process. I reckon the FO and coaching staff knows this too. I am not as hard on the coaching staff as many members, because a lot of the blame is on the players, they are not making plays. I see a lot of big name guys, veterans making "business decisions" which can likely become contagious after a while. Then you have young players like Taylor and Adebo, Baun and Ellis all running around at 100% effort.

When you have a team with essentially three back up Qbs, you know the season is going to be rough.

I've seen too many plays by the Defense where both Maye and Mathue ( never get his spelling correct) R spectators and do not throw themselves into the mix to bring down opponents thoroughly. Neither of them are "feared" as the solid Safety's usually are.

There's a "reluctance" on Offense to truly "Make a PLAY"! Where did the screen game go? Why not have Taysom throw more when the opponents load the box and he sees it? There's so much going into these last two seasons.......I don't have TCUDAN's knowledge but some issues are self evident.

With Drew & CSP ( a very HIGH standard , agreed) we KNEW we had a "chance" in close games where players felt elevated to make all of those plays! Sadly, those days are gone and it's truly showing just how un- team-like The SAINTS have become.

Either a lack of focus, desire or ability or availability must be addressed by The Head Coach and someone/anyone light the fires of competition among this group!

Kamara with is "leadership speech" & translates into 2 fumbles? Child PLEASE! We're hurting everyone except Werner, Braun and Ellis In My Humble Opinion!

I have a question for anyone who can answer. Bill Belichik was fired from Cleveland because he wasn't "a good coach" but then went on to New England and became arguably the greatest coaches ever. Now, I know DA has a horrible track record but in BB's case was it simply a change of environment? Was it better support staff, better players, what?

I know for what seems like the third straight year, we have been hit with catastrophic injuries, like a MAJOR amount. If we had our full complement of players and we were in the playoff hunt, would DA still be serviceable?
And I am not a DA guy, but I am also not a guy who wants to run out coaches for a tough stretch that maybe temporary.

I remember Kamara's rookie year after we went 0-2 for the third straight year, I was ready for Payton to be gone, as I had seen enough, and then all we did was go 11-5 and made the playoffs.

I have a question for anyone who can answer. Bill Belichik was fired from Cleveland because he wasn't "a good coach" but then went on to New England and became arguably the greatest coaches ever. Now, I know DA has a horrible track record but in BB's case was it simply a change of environment? Was it better support staff, better players, what?

I know for what seems like the third straight year, we have been hit with catastrophic injuries, like a MAJOR amount. If we had our full complement of players and we were in the playoff hunt, would DA still be serviceable?
And I am not a DA guy, but I am also not a guy who wants to run out coaches for a tough stretch that maybe temporary.

I remember Kamara's rookie year after we went 0-2 for the third straight year, I was ready for Payton to be gone, as I had seen enough, and then all we did was go 11-5 and made the playoffs.
But we got a lot of guys back yesterday, and the result was the same. I, for one, have seen enough of DA. I am hoping he will be let go at the end of the season, and Loomis will go out and find a young, inventive, hungry coordinator who is poised to be a HC (don't care if it's offense or defense) to get the club back into playoff contention.

• 1Like
Reactions: mcg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom