Video Football Fundamentals: The RPO - How the Saints Utilize Pre-Snap Reads & RPOs (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Many people hear the term 'RPO' and immediately think things like "it's a gimmick", "only limited offenses/QBs run them", etc. RPOs in general are pretty misunderstood, and the Saints used them last year to take what the defense gave them. This is in essence, all an RPO is and designed to do. There are multiple types of RPOs, and subsequently, multiple types of reads for each type. Let's take a look at one of the types of RPOs that exist, and how the Saints would use them in 2017. Hope ya'll are up for some film study!

This was a very informative video. Thank you very much.
You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. This type of video was recommended by one of my Patreon subscribers, and will likely ending up making a few more like it!

Yes I knew they counted men in the box but didn't realize how they used someone like MT to get that quick slant. 6 yard pick up. Just like a running play.
Thanks.
Can't wait for your post snap read viseo

Yes I knew they counted men in the box but didn't realize how they used someone like MT to get that quick slant. 6 yard pick up. Just like a running play.
Thanks.
Can't wait for your post snap read viseo

Thanks Barty! That will likely be an Eagles film study, but will good I promise! (Saints don't run many post snap RPOs, and can't think of an example off the top of my head). Eagles have it down to a science.

There's a good video of Favre explaining to Gruden about how he ran his RPO.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s Favre telling Gruden how he came up with RPOs in GB because he was bored in practice and how he ran them in a game before telling Mike Sherman because he wanted to prove that they would work before being told not to. <a href="Aaron Nagler on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/QehChLkWrO</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Nagler (@AaronNagler) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1005927382358913025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
">June 10, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's koo. I guess Drew just sees it earlier. ?

Haha it's not really that, it's just a different type of RPO. It focuses on creating a "conflict defender". Watch tomorrows video to learn more ;)

There's a good video of Favre explaining to Gruden about how he ran his RPO.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s Favre telling Gruden how he came up with RPOs in GB because he was bored in practice and how he ran them in a game before telling Mike Sherman because he wanted to prove that they would work before being told not to. <a href="Aaron Nagler on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/QehChLkWrO</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Nagler (@AaronNagler) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1005927382358913025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
">June 10, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This was really good ,Watched it earlier today.

Haha it's not really that, it's just a different type of RPO. It focuses on creating a "conflict defender". Watch tomorrows video to learn more ;)

This was really good ,Watched it earlier today.
Yeah
It’s pretty easy to watch Favre and Gruden talk shop.

Yeah
It’s pretty easy to watch Favre and Gruden talk shop.

Man, honestly, almost anyone from the league at the coaching level, even if you (indirect) hate em, is worth listening to talk shop. One of my favorite experience last year at the Scouting Academy was just listening to Steve Fairchild talk QBs and studying Bears/Packers tape with them. Just sitting in awe. Also really enjoyed the Kirk Cousins videos that came out with him and a few of this year's QB draft class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom