Football in the South (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting article
===================
Sonny Dykes has spent most of his career coaching and recruiting football players in his home state of Texas and around the South.

When he became a head coach in the Pac-12, he found an unfamiliar environment at some high school games in California.

“Kids have their phones during warmup and they’re Instagramming, tweeting and stuff. On the field, you know, during warmup,” said Dykes, who spent four seasons at Cal before returning to his roots to become coach at SMU.

“I look on the sidelines (and) coaches are on their phones during the game. I mean guys taking phone calls during a high school football game.

It was a kind of an eye-opener for me at that point. I was just like, ‘Wow this is going to be a little bit different experience maybe than what I was accustomed to in the South, in Louisiana or in Texas.‘”.............

At its foundation, however, college football is still very much a regional sport across the United States.

And because regions tend to go about their football differently, as they do with things like food, lifestyle and dialect, there is a simple explanation for why teams from the South have won national championships in 13 out of the last 14 years..............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom