Football Outsiders analysis of Bears game (1 Viewer)

DahnVill

Guess which one is me!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While the title of the article suggests they didn't expect us to win, it's a decent read.

I think they also make a good point about Brees - his arm has seemed to get tired late in the season lately, so maybe missing these last 5 games could work in our favour come playoff time.

While the title of the article suggests they didn't expect us to win, it's a decent read.

I think they also make a good point about Brees - his arm has seemed to get tired late in the season lately, so maybe missing these last 5 games could work in our favour come playoff time.

Eh. I still think his arm “getting tired” has been myth that pops up instead of realizing our OLine got beaten up and he couldn’t properly step into his throws.

Heck, even Unger basically retired because he felt like he had become a liability. The interior was getting pushed in DB’s face at the end of last year.

I thought that as well when I was trying to cheer myself up after I heard he was out 6 weeks. Brees had plenty of time to step into his throw when he underthrew Ginn for an INT to start the PHI playoff game and he also underthrew Ginn on the long ball Ginn caught before the no-call vs. LAR and threw the ball at an open MT's feet on the 1st down before the no-call. I do think the offensive line injuries played a role in Brees' numbers tailing off in the latter half of last season, but I also think Brees missed some throws he usually makes even when he had the time (and there's no shame in that, he's very old for a NFL player AND he suffered what was thought to be a career ending shoulder injury in 05). In the "tired arm vs. offensive line injuries" debate, I think both sides are right - to a point.

Last edited:
I'm not buying the popular "Drew Brees arm tires late in the season" line. If it is occurring it is negligible - just writers and fans looking for a reason to explain a drop in offensive performance. There are a lot of factors in play and Drew's arm wearing out is not it. Battered offensive line, teams keying on Kamara and Thomas, etc. all contributed to the decline in then the offense down the stretch.

Edit: looks like the all wise Saint Spud types faster than me. ;)

I thought that as well when I was trying to cheer myself up after I heard he was out 6 weeks. Brees had plenty of time to step into his throw when he underthrew Ginn for an INT to start the PHI game in the playoffs and he also underthrew Ginn on the long ball Ginn caught right before the no-call vs. LAR and threw the ball at an open MT's feet on the 1st down before the no-call. I do think the offensive line injuries played a role in Brees' numbers tailing off in the latter half of last season, but I also think Brees missed some throws he usually made even when he had the time (and there's no shame in that, he's very old for a NFL player AND he suffered what was thought to be a career ending shoulder injury in 05). In the "tired arm vs. offensive line injuries" debate, I think both sides are right - to a point.

The Ginn underthrow vs Philly was because he hesitated. The one against LA, he had been running from Donald and Suh all day.

Teddy under threw Ginn so maybe Teddy is getting weak as well!

I don't know why that is such a controversial statement here, but it is. You can believe that he is still an excellent QB but has shown signs of aging. It's not an insult to him or his legacy, but people often act like it is.

The difference is I don't have memories of Teddy actually making those throws consistently, but I do remember Brees being better at the deep ball in his earlier seasons here (e.g. the 09 MNF game vs. NE when Brees threw an absolute laser to a very well-covered Robert Meachem for a long TD). Teddy's draft stock dropped from potential #1 overall to late 1st round partially because of questions about his arm strength (and yeah, he's underthrown a few deep balls in the past 5 games).

I don't care what anyone says: 30 year old Drew had a stronger arm than 40 yr. old Drew.

Neither Peyton or Brady have ever had arm canons.

Article coulda just been a picture of a curb and a pair of work boots.

Here's something that maybe no one has thought of...……………….it could be that Ginn is outrunning the throws therefore having to wait on the ball.

I mean afterall he is one of the top 5 fastest players in the NFL.

I'm 47 and I was stronger in things I did when I was 37. We all get older and things slow down. Im sure his arm isnt as strong as it was 10 yrs ago. I would still take Brees like he is over a lot of other QBs. I dont see it as a knock on him to say the long ball isnt as long as it used to be. Ginn could outrun a lot of QBs on the league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom