Football season: chance of happening is approaching 0% (3 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Baseball has shown us in less than a week of starting up, organized team sports just isn't tenable.
As long as Roger is running the NFL for insanely greedy owners, 100% is too strong. Maybe 100% against a 16 game season. But Roger and cohorts will figure a way to bribe enough players to have games.

If enough players get sick and decide to walk the rest of the season, in no way would it surprise me to see scabs on the field.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
NFL had more time than any other major sports league and did nothing with it, absolutely shameful.

Brees is old enough as it is, if the NFL season gets canceled that probably hurts the Saints more so than other teams.
I've said it another post, but with Brees thinking heavy about retiring in the offseason, I wonder how he feels now with as many kids as he has and his wife. As coach Pete said many times, there is no player in the NFL with more honor and integrity than Drew Brees and Brees honor goes to his God 1st and his family 2nd. The Saints trail 3rd in that selection.

When the Docs thought I might have the virus last week, all 3 Docs I drilled down quickly got to the same response about the majority of my questions, "We just don't know yet!" Mods, sorry, but I was negative :)

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I’m certain of, is all of these fools want their money... and they’ll try their best to make it happen.
True, but the players have a choice of the virus and money, or the virus and no money. The virus can't be stopped, only delayed. The best virus defense is very leaky. If you do everything perfectly to defend against it, it will be ruined by several others who don't. The players need to understand that treatment is much more reliable than prevention.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When the Docs thought I might have the virus last week, all 3 Docs I drilled down quickly got to the same response about the majority of my questions, "We just don't know yet!" Mods, sorry, but I was negative :)
Problem is, you did the drilling, not the docs. 3 docs with a large enough drill bit and the Mods' problems would have been over.

J/K Swimmer, you're a treasure, just like a solid gold thorn.

Last edited:

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Money concern seems like it would increase risk vs decrease

Nfl has at least double the roster of mlb

Nfl is full and continuous contact - no chance at social distancing (speculation is that the catchers were the ones who spread to the other team - that’s just batters staning near a sick player)
Not sure what you mean by the first part.

Yes, the roster size is larger. But it’s pretty rare for guys on the same team to spend significant amounts of time with people outside of their own position group, much less on the opposite side of the ball. And when they do this year, they will be wearing masks, etc.

Not saying players won’t get it. They absolutely will. But the discussion is about whether or not they will play. And they will.

WhoDat?DrewDat

Jimmy Graham #1 Fan
Reaction score
wait, i thought masks work?
Cant tell if your trolling or not.

Masks are highly effective at helping reduce the transmission of the disease if everyone wore them properly. Nothing 100% reduces the spread but social distancing and wearing masks helps greatly. If you doubt the effectiveness of wearing a mask I would recommend reading the article (as well as the links in the article) below.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
Not looking good with 4 Viqueens coming down with it, with one being Justin Jefferson. IMO you really could only do a bubble deal in the NBA, NHL, and MLB due to the roster size. No way you could have a bunch of teams with 50+ players in the same area. Maybe you could, but it seems impossible to me.

It would stink so bad to not have football this year essentially with this being possibly Drew’s last year. I think he would come back for sure if that is the case, but then that may hamper Jameis being the future at QB. Its not like this virus is killing everyone, so hopefully they just say we playing with no fans & everyone has to self quarantine when not at the game or the facility. It will be extremely hard to enforce, but have some extreme consequences if they do break quarantine. That seems a little extreme, but I’m selfish and want to see football this season. 😆

Rmcleod999

Rebel Saint
Reaction score
Just have division games with one location per division and the division champions are the ones to make the playoffs
I like this. 6 games against each other w maybe one more game between best two teams for division champ.
Four division champs then do the same thing and they crown a conference champ.
14 game season plus a Superbowl. Better than nothing.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
True, but the players have a choice of the virus and money, or the virus and no money. The virus can't be stopped, only delayed. The best virus defense is very leaky. If you do everything perfectly to defend against it, it will be ruined by several others who don't. The players need to understand that treatment is much more reliable than prevention.
Not remotely.

Even if you recover from the acute phase, there's a high likelihood of suffering long term effects. Effects that specifically hurt a professional athlete.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Problem is, you did the drilling, not the docs. 3 docs with a large enough drill bit and the Mods' problems would have been over.

J/K Swimmer, you're a treasure, just like a solid gold thorn.
My mom told me that I was a special treasure all the time - lol, until I grew-up

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Cant tell if your trolling or not.

Masks are highly effective at helping reduce the transmission of the disease if everyone wore them properly. Nothing 100% reduces the spread but social distancing and wearing masks helps greatly. If you doubt the effectiveness of wearing a mask I would recommend reading the article (as well as the links in the article) below.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
As my Doctor told me when they thought there was a chance I had the virus, "Dan, if you have to go outside, if you have the virus, you could literally kill somebody if you don't wear a mask!" I think he made his point

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Baseball has shown us in less than a week of starting up, organized team sports just isn't tenable.
Unfortunately I think you are right. You are right that baseball has proven this to be true. Football would be much worse. Let's see what happens after 1-2 weeks of training camp.

I think of all the team sports baseball had the best chance of the virus not spreading....and then today came.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
For asthmatic Saints TE Cole Wick, opting out of season is 'bigger than football' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
BobE N/S Derrius Guice has been released by the Washington Football Team following a domestic violence investigation Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
4 weeks Saints Latavius Murray could be worth starting in fantasy football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints318 First "Official" Day of Louisiana High School Football Practice Everything Else Board 7
ktmoze Drew Brees Press Conference: "This Year's going to be about something greater than Football" Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Andrus Saints' Sean Payton: More 'live' football planned this preseason SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints’ Payton: More ‘live’ football planned this preseason SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Analysis Latest New Orleans Football Podcast (Underhill & Washington) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Poll: If You Were an NFL Player, Would You Opt-Out for 2020 Season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Andrus Why Saints' Marcus Davenport will have a T.J. Watt-type edge rusher breakout season in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 6: Sean Payton speaks on coaches opting out of the 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buccaneers plan a “voluntary” bubble during the regular season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Zack Lee discounting injury and illness, which player do you think holds the biggest key to a successful season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 23
Fleur-de-Links, August 4: Saints release another player and a preview of Marshon Lattimore’s season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Odell Beckham says season should be cancelled. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 49
NFL needs to create a bubble plan for 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints to rent out part of the Loews Hotel to 'sequester' before the season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WhoDat_SB44 I hope we play this season since we have upgraded just about every position group Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
Walker: Drew Brees, driven by Super Bowl quest, faces toughest challenge yet in 20th NFL season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
SuperSaint Saints Report: MLB could cancel season as early as Monday (Not looking good...) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Drew Brees sidesteps whether 2020 will be his last season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Oye NBA 2020 Season and Playoffs Everything Else Board 159
Taker597 N/S Cowboys have canceled all of 2020 Season Tickets Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Optimism abounds for Pelicans as NBA season officially restarts Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
How Many Saints will end up opting out of the 2020 NFL season? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 29: First Saints player to opt out of 2020 season and a preview of a 2020 Saints game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If the season is shortened or canceled due to covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Day 1 of the weird season has arrived for the Saints. 'We're grinding through it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints guard Warford, two current backups opt out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints OL Larry Warford to sit out the 2020 NFL season: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Unsigned G Warford opts out of season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints TE Cole Wick opts out of 2020 season due to asthma Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Cole Wick opting out of season {Merged and merged again} Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
This NFL season rides on players’ abilities to “play by the rules” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
N/S If we are using MLB as a test (Cluster of cases puts Marlins' season on hold) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 58