Football season: chance of happening is approaching 0% (2 Viewers)

Baseball has shown us in less than a week of starting up, organized team sports just isn't tenable.
Unfortunately I think you are right. You are right that baseball has proven this to be true. Football would be much worse. Let's see what happens after 1-2 weeks of training camp.

I think of all the team sports baseball had the best chance of the virus not spreading....and then today came.

Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)

If the season doesn’t happen, I just hope that it ends up being blamed on Goodell and his incompetence in preparing the league to play with so much time to do so... that would be a great silver lining if he is disgraced and forced out.
I have been saying this. The NFL has had MONTHS to try and get themselves aligned, but really have not done much at all. I tend to believe, after the fact, the NFL management were not really all that intended to start the season to begin with. IDK, the way they have entered into training camp, is a bit strange to me. Kinda half donkey! JMO

True, but the players have a choice of the virus and money, or the virus and no money. The virus can't be stopped, only delayed. The best virus defense is very leaky. If you do everything perfectly to defend against it, it will be ruined by several others who don't. The players need to understand that treatment is much more reliable than prevention.
Treatment is more reliable than prevention? Let me think about that for a second! So, what you are saying is, forget the ways to prevent it, just take the risk, catch it and then get the treatment, because you are better off having it and getting the treatment. Less you forget the underlying health issues you are highly likely to have, IF you do not die, even with the best of care.

Not looking good with 4 Viqueens coming down with it, with one being Justin Jefferson. IMO you really could only do a bubble deal in the NBA, NHL, and MLB due to the roster size. No way you could have a bunch of teams with 50+ players in the same area. Maybe you could, but it seems impossible to me.

It would stink so bad to not have football this year essentially with this being possibly Drew’s last year. I think he would come back for sure if that is the case, but then that may hamper Jameis being the future at QB. Its not like this virus is killing everyone, so hopefully they just say we playing with no fans & everyone has to self quarantine when not at the game or the facility. It will be extremely hard to enforce, but have some extreme consequences if they do break quarantine. That seems a little extreme, but I’m selfish and want to see football this season. 😆
Saints could quarantine in the Hyatt Hotel. I said this a number of months back. The Benson’s own a majority share, if not the whole property. They could have been at the Hyatt from jump and held training camp in the Superdome and remained in the hotel for the duration of the season. I am sure other NFL teams could have done the same thing in their respective cities.

Again, it all goes back to the redhead at the top for not thinking more intuitively, but instead, more reactively.

Saints could quarantine in the Hyatt Hotel. I said this a number of months back. The Benson’s own a majority share, if not the whole property. They could have been at the Hyatt from jump and held training camp in the Superdome and remained in the hotel for the duration of the season. I am sure other NFL teams could have done the same thing in their respective cities.

Again, it all goes back to the redhead at the top for not thinking more intuitively, but instead, more reactively.
To me, it all comes down to the NFL refusing to rule out fans early. That has limited their ability to think outside the box. Even if they had though, I'm just not sure it's possible with the scale of the NFL rosters.

The NHL has it figured out...

Their latest round of testing had ZERO positive results for COVID-19.

They’re about to start back up... and I can’t wait!

Agreed, since my wife’s Blackhawks have a renewed chance to make something of their season.

Hockey and hoops take up less space to play than football, which has been football’s insurmountable challenge all along.

I think the hotel bubble idea is the best chance of isolation for the NFL. Teams could lease parts of local hotels and players would have to stay there for the season, and another hotel could be leased for visiting teams. It can be done but I don't know if the league is willing to put the money on the table or if the players would be willing to be separated from their families for the whole season.

I think the hotel bubble idea is the best chance of isolation for the NFL. Teams could lease parts of local hotels and players would have to stay there for the season, and another hotel could be leased for visiting teams. It can be done but I don't know if the league is willing to put the money on the table or if the players would be willing to be separated from their families for the whole season.

But the only way a bubble can truly work is if it's a single large bubble.

Multiple bubbles will only, in theory, protect those within that specific bubble. Once you play another team, both bubbles are compromised because you are interacting with individuals outside your protective area.

Also, bubble means bubble for everyone... support staff, hotel staff and most importantly no travel -- because that exposes you to numerous people outside the theoretical bubbles.

So if you book out hotels, the other team still has to get to these other places and, no doubt, come into contact with numerous people outside of their contained group.

It's just logistically improbable.

The NBA is working within a true bubble. All teams in one area, playing games in one area. No travel, no interactions with individuals who are from outside the bubble and have not sufficiently quarantined.

But the only way a bubble can truly work is if it's a single large bubble.

Multiple bubbles will only, in theory, protect those within that specific bubble. Once you play another team, both bubbles are compromised because you are interacting with individuals outside your protective area.

Also, bubble means bubble for everyone... support staff, hotel staff and most importantly no travel -- because that exposes you to numerous people outside the theoretical bubbles.

So if you book out hotels, the other team still has to get to these other places and, no doubt, come into contact with numerous people outside of their contained group.

It's just logistically improbable.

The NBA is working within a true bubble. All teams in one area, playing games in one area. No travel, no interactions with individuals who are from outside the bubble and have not sufficiently quarantined.
I'm not sure how the NBA is handling the hotel staff but I'm sure they have a protocol for the staff, etc. The NFL is the richest league, so they have money to make it happen. The issue is the NFL does not seem to be working on any plan.

To me, it all comes down to the NFL refusing to rule out fans early. That has limited their ability to think outside the box. Even if they had though, I'm just not sure it's possible with the scale of the NFL rosters.
Definitely- trying to hold onto the little bit of season ticket money will probably cost them big money this season (I’m sure they’re insured against it)
Had they moved to a bubble model (in April/May), they would just need between 8-16 nfl level football fields
That would be fairly easy
Then you just need hotel rooms
Yesterday I was thinking Reno might be a place with a glut of hotels/rooms and enough space to build the fields

So far MLS has done it right and contact-wise soccer is probably closest to football (esp if you keep position groups separate)

Without seeing the actual money- I would guess the increased tv money would be more than ticket sales (but no idea how much overhead the bubble would create)

Agreed, since my wife’s Blackhawks have a renewed chance to make something of their season.

Hockey and hoops take up less space to play than football, which has been football’s insurmountable challenge all along.

Hawks are my team as well! They barely qualified for the tourney, but they have a roster that could really shine in this sort of set up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom