Football season: chance of happening is approaching 0% (1 Viewer)

If it doesn't happen it SHOULD be blamed on incompetence...but not Goodell's.
I agree that it will really be more to blame on the players and the individual organizations if this season gets canned...

I can't believe nobody has suggested the real reason football won't happen this year: it'll keep the Saints out of the Super Bowl. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the league waited until, say, the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship Game (probably right after a Brees deep TD pass that gives us a commanding lead over Tom Brady's Bucs) to cancel the season outright.

(Note: I'm not making light of the global catastrophe that is COVID-19.)

Not remotely.

Even if you recover from the acute phase, there's a high likelihood of suffering long term effects. Effects that specifically hurt a professional athlete.

Absolutely ON POINT! And this is what a lot of people do not understand. Yes...you could catch it and subsequently survive. But the long term health issues is the disturbing aspect concerning doctors and the medical community. Aside from the fact, how is it going to impact health insurance costs, down the road.

MLB will be shut down by the end of next week.

Football won't make make it to the first game.
hope both statements come to pass

1) mlb shutting down makes the decision to shut nfl easier
2) both leagues' seasons are a sham under current circumstances
3) don't want any saints sickened/hurt for 2021 over a few meaningless games

any mlb and/or nfl "championship" for 2020 is the definition of moot

NFL should postpone to start in November and figure out a way to make a bubble, or bubbles work.

there’s probably 30+ quality football fields with capacity for NFL rosters in Dallas-Ft Worth..... then also in Houston. Could have a bubble in each city, one for AFC other for NFC. Or London has around 22 quality pitches. But logistically it couldn’t work quite like the NBA using Disney in FL. Football is too big. But it can be done. Would just need quarantined busdrivers, food workers, janitors, and thousands more... and way more effort than the NBA. Just due todifferences in roster sizes, facility needs and equipment needs.

The MLB isn’t having success.

Last edited:
With enough money, anything is possible. The league could have certainly come up with a creative way to have a campus and a unique schedule to play football this year.

Instead, they just hoped it would go away by the time the season started.

Failure of leadership. Seems to be the American way.

MLB will be shut down by the end of next week.

Football won't make make it to the first game.

And yet the NHL and Soccer worldwide continue without incident. Maybe, just maybe, MLB is making bad mistakes from which the NFL can learn. Certainly, they need to speak extensively with NHL and Soccer executives t find out what they're doing correctly. It's obvious that it CAN be done since it is being done by not not one, but two sports organizations, both of which are international.

With enough money, anything is possible. The league could have certainly come up with a creative way to have a campus and a unique schedule to play football this year.

Instead, they just hoped it would go away by the time the season started.

Failure of leadership. Seems to be the American way.
The problem is that some of these governor's are taking the public's prospective on the virus as actual science 😂.
It's all political.
These states are allowing people with four year degrees, in who knows what, dictate hospital protocols and treatment plans. Yet, when one of them stroll into the hospital they DEMAND the same treatment we were told BY THE GOVERNOR, would cause heavy fines and suspension of license.
We signed NDA's but who listens to those nowadays.

I believe Goodell and his leadership team miscalculated the seriousness and longevity of COVID-19. They basically went about their business assuming things would get better by the time training camp
rolled around.

I believe Goodell and his leadership team miscalculated the seriousness and longevity of COVID-19. They basically went about their business assuming things would get better by the time training camp
rolled around.

They were told that it would be over by now, it wasn't really a bid deal, and they need to play football this fall.

Players can't even be trusted to do the right thing and they are making millions. The only way this was going to work was through the discipline of everyone involved to essentially quarantine themselves to guard against getting infected. MLB plan is failing because a few players decided they could fool the virus. It comes down to selfishness and that is why the US as a country won't be able to have the same success that other countries have had. Our population is far too selfish.

MLB plan is failing because a few players decided they could fool the virus.
The MLB plan is working. We have baseball. Of course there were problems, but the Marlins will play again tonight. And millions of quarantined baseball fans will be able to turn on their TV and enjoy life again because they have baseball. And It Was Good.
It comes down to selfishness and that is why the US as a country won't be able to have the same success that other countries have had. Our population is far too selfish.
If a player wants to play, and the team management wants them to play, and the fans want them to play - and an outsider wants them to not play - then who is being selfish?

The MLB plan is working. We have baseball. Of course there were problems, but the Marlins will play again tonight.
So you're saying that the MLB plan was to see one team lose half its active roster to the virus and then spread the virus to another team resulting in multiple games being cancelled and the season threatened for at least one team? Nah, I don't think that was their plan at all. Their plan was for teams and players to take the necessary precautions to ensure that their players didn't get infected and that if they did, it was contained. That has not happened. You have baseball.....but for how long?

If you need to see an example of a plan that is working, look at what the NBA is doing. The NBA is working, not MLB.

And millions of quarantined baseball fans will be able to turn on their TV and enjoy life again because they have baseball. And It Was Good.
Just because baseball fans get to turn on their TV and see baseball means nothing if they end up being teased with the season having to be cancelled halfway through a shortened season due to Covid-19. Not everyone's life is enjoyable because baseball is back.
If a player wants to play, and the team management wants them to play, and the fans want them to play - and an outsider wants them to not play - then who is being selfish?
I don't even know what this means. We as fans want nothing more than to watch sports if only on TV. It represents a sense of normal. It takes people's minds off of the pandemic. That's fans being selfish because fans are not considering the risks that the players are exposing themselves and their families to provide fans with entertainment. Players choosing to socialize and frequent crowded bars and otherwise exposing themselves to the virus knowing that the league is trying to salvage the season is players being selfish and not having self discipline.

You don't know the name of player's daughter or wife or mother or friend but you want them to go out there and expose all of them to a deadly virus so that you can be entertained and not think about the virus. I want sports....even sports I don't watch but I don't want it so bad that I don't care if the people playing the sports get infected or infect the people they love. I try to think long term rather than a short term fix like some kind of addict.

rolled around.
Yep. Exactly. Goodell going to show us how it is done. You going down now COVID-19.
(Sarcasm)
Feel better now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom