Football's Future Draft Grade (1 Viewer)

Vega$$aint

Resident GoldenTee Junkie
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New Orleans Saints: A-

Best Pick: Charles Brown, OT, USC. 2nd Round. –Brown is a first round talent that they landed with the last pick in the 2nd round. A good athlete with toughness, Brown could play on either side of the line and gives the team options with Jammal Brown possibly being moved.

Sleeper: Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami. 3rd Round –Graham is the best athlete in the draft, pound for pound and flashed a lot of ability in his lone season on the gridiron. He was a solid basketball player at the U, but turned down pro offers overseas to play football. His size, speed, and athleticism make him a tough matchup for any defender.

The Rest: Adding Patrick Robinson with their top pick gives the team a lot of young playmakers in the secondary. Jimmy Graham has the potential to be the best TE in the draft, and gives the offense another matchup advantage. Al Woods and Matt Tennant late in the draft gives the team depth on the defensive and offensive line, respectively.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/nfcgrades.html

I found Yahoo's Draft Grade also ala pro football weekly

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...t_get_stronger

New Orleans Saints
With Malcolm Jenkins(notes) appearing set to move to free safety, GM Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton added another big, athletic cornerback to the roster in Patrick Robinson(notes). OT Charles Brown(notes) enters the league with a back injury that makes the pick risky. TE Jimmy Graham(notes) and DT Al Woods(notes) (for whom they packaged a fourth-round pick and a sixth to land) are loaded with upside but will require patience. Fifth-round C Matt Tennant(notes) and seventh-round QB Sean Canfield(notes) have intriguing developmental potential. The Super Bowl winners, picking at the back of the round where the board was dry, built for the future with a crop of picks who may not provide many immediate dividends but could blossom in time and potentially bring three starters.
Grade: B

Last edited:
and mel kiper jr. who gave us a C. :)

I gave us a B, but that was the average of six grades. The only pick I disapproved of was the 7th round pick, to which I assigned a C-. If you take that grade out of the mix and average the first five only, my grade was a B+, which is pretty close to what Football's Future gives us.

And I liked the Charles Brown pick most of all, to which I assigned an A grade, the highest one I gave.

I didn't like the Canfield pick either. I know its only a 7th round pick, but hey Marques Colston spoiled me, I want all our 7th round picks to be stars. lol.

Anyways I think Jarrett Brown out of WV, would have been a better pick up. I think he has a more legimate shot to be a solid contributor in the NFL.

I like the Brown pick as well, but I most definately like the Graham pick and I think everyone is going to surprised at how much he's going to contribute this coming season. Lastly, I also like the Tennant pick and think he will start by next season and the Patrick Robinson pick was a need as well as Gay definately needs to be replaced, he's become a liability in pass coverage and is a dime back at best now.

Mel Kiper also said JaMarcus Russel would be a top 5 QB. Take what he says with a grain of salt. It's amazing how he was so baffled by how we took Graham over Hernandez(really was it that much a stretch?).

Every new thing I read about Jimmy Graham, I start to get more and more excited.

This time, I think I just peed a little.

Can you imagine if he pans out a Shockey, Graham two TE set with just about any combination of our offense?

I'd better stop. I need to go to the bathroom before I read more draft reviews.

Mel Kiper also said JaMarcus Russel would be a top 5 QB. Take what he says with a grain of salt. It's amazing how he was so baffled by how we took Graham over Hernandez(really was it that much a stretch?).
The Boston Globe reported that Hernandez failed mutliple drug tests for Marijuana. Its funny how Urban can act all christian defended Tim Tebow against the press, but when his players fail mutiple drug tests he don't have the guts to even suspend them not even for a game.

Every new thing I read about Jimmy Graham, I start to get more and more excited.

This time, I think I just peed a little.

Can you imagine if he pans out a Shockey, Graham two TE set with just about any combination of our offense?

I'd better stop. I need to go to the bathroom before I read more draft reviews.

Many believe he could be better than Shockey.....Antonio Gates-esque....me likey

What makes it more interesting is that Jimmy Graham has basically 2 years of football experience, he played his 9th grade of his high school year, from then it was all basketball, got a scholarship to the U for hoops, and didn't get back to the gridiron till his senior year at the U, only had 17 catches on the year but 5 were for touchdowns. Jeremy Shockey has already twittered he looks forward to teaching him the game.

I didn't like the Canfield pick either. I know its only a 7th round pick, but hey Marques Colston spoiled me, I want all our 7th round picks to be stars. lol.

Yeah, but we signed enough guys in FA I would have been thrilled with in the 7th (Galette, Sharpe, Coleman, Carter, Ross) that I could care less that Payton decided to choose his camp quarterback in the 7th. I'm not going to start arguing with Payton about quarterbacks even if I personally find it hard to get excited about Canfield's skills.

Nice to see someone out there is looking at the value of each pick rather than the downgrading each pick because it didn't fill a perceived need. Like most long term Saints fans I've gotten used to the "experts" panning the Saints drafts good or bad. If the Saints had picked players high to fill those perceived holes they would be thoroughly criticized for "making reaches to fill needs". We just have to remember those same guys said - Marques Colston was a bad pick because the team didn't need another project TE, both Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks were long term projects, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom