For 2017 we need a better football administration (a new G.M.) (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know things have been better for the last couple of years but we can do better.

Mickey Loomis is a man who has trust of Mr. And Ms. Benson and he has global responsibilities with both Saints and Pelicans. He has to focus on the big picture.

In my opinion, he and Sean Payton are too close, and while mostly good, a little disagreement is always better.

On the administrative side, Khai Hartley is doing well. Ireland is improving college scouting, and I think Fontenot is fine but can do better. They should stay at their place.

So independently if Sean stays, I wish we would have an experience General Manager to make the difficult questions about personnel, coaching staff and the recurrent problems we see towards depth and general health of the team.

My pick would be Scott Pioli, who is part of the now legendary Cleveland staff, went to New England, moved to Kansas City and is now in Atlanta.

Many of you would consider his time with the Chiefs a failure. He missed to bring a quarterback but look at the players he drafted. Look also how Atlanta's talent has improved since he is there. Stealing him from the falcons is a double whammy.

Finally, on the social side, he is the son in law of Bill Parcells.

Having Pioli as our de facto General Manager would be a great addition, and would us better prepared for the future, not matter the path Sean Payton would take.

Last edited:
We need a General Manager that holds the Coach more accountable to the past failures. Instead its "Make it happen Loomis" causing the team to sign bad free agents and costly contracts that have cost this team dearly. Clearly who is the real General Manager? Payton or Loomis?

I know things have been better for the last couple of years but we can do better.

Mickey Loomis is a man who has trust of Mr. And Ms. Benson and he has global responsibilities with both Saints and Pelicans. He has to focus on the big picture.

In my opinion, he and Sean Payton are too close, and while mostly good, a little disagreement is always better.

On the administrative side, Khai Hartley is doing well. Ireland is improving college scouting, and I think Fontenot is fine but can do better. They should stay at their place.

So independently if Sean stays, I wish we would have an experience General Manager to make the difficult questions about personnel, coaching staff and the recurrent problems we see towards depth and general health of the team.

My pick would be Scott Pioli, who is part of the now legendary Cleveland staff, went to New England, moved to Kansas City and is now in Atlanta.

Many of you would consider his time with the Chiefs a failure. He missed to bring a quarterback but look at the players he drafted. Look also how Atlanta's talent has improved since he is there. Stealing him from the falcons is a double whammy.

Finally, on the social side, he is the son in law of Bill Parcells.

Having Pioli as our de facto General Manager would be a great addition, and would us better prepared for the future, not matter the path Sean Payton would take.

Agree 110% with you. A decade is a long body of coaching work to examine a coaches strengths and weaknesses. SP cannot assemble an upper 3rd defense. He cannot pick ST coaches and he can't select FG kickers.

A real GM would cause friction with SP. Right now, SP has nearly 100% control of player personnel and coaches. A good quality GM would recognize those weakness and try and do for SP what he cannot do for himself, cover up SP's weaknesses.

I really suspect this possibility is one of the reasons SP is pimping around the Ram and Charger jobs. Not that SP really intends to leave, but to make sure he has complete control as he does now.

Agree 110% with you. A decade is a long body of coaching work to examine a coaches strengths and weaknesses. SP cannot assemble an upper 3rd defense. He cannot pick ST coaches and he can't select FG kickers.

A real GM would cause friction with SP. Right now, SP has nearly 100% control of player personnel and coaches. A good quality GM would recognize those weakness and try and do for SP what he cannot do for himself, cover up SP's weaknesses.

I really suspect this possibility is one of the reasons SP is pimping around the Ram and Charger jobs. Not that SP really intends to leave, but to make sure he has complete control as he does now.

I don't know the dynamics at Airline Drive and how everything works, but right now I see Dennis Lauscha and Mickey Loomis having similar roles.

I understand that in the future Mr. Lauscha will be taking the decisions an owner will normally make. Loomis then will be in control of both franchises. We need then, and I focus on the Saints only, a General Manager in charge of planning, building and keeping structure, cap management, recruiting and held accountability at all levels.

We need someone with the authority to push the breaks on impulse purchases, who can demand changes of coaches and trainers when needed, who will keep an eye to constantly improve our organization, and who will have the stones to let players and coaches leave when the moment comes. Loomis is not that.

As I wrote, this is further then Payton's gossip. We need a better, more defined structure. We need to be better prepared for whatever happens, and I think Pioli is the best man to do it.

In the case scenario that Payton would leave, I would trust Pioli better then Loomis to pick the next head coach.

Last edited:
ABSOLUTELY! Someone forward this thread to Lukewarm Loomis on how a real GM should conduct business. Ozzie Newsome would've demanded better by now!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I think GM for football only is what we need. Someone that knows the game and knows talent.

I am not sure about the prognosis offered because Pioli did so poorly in Kansas City. But I agree completely with the diagnosis--Loomis has been the problem with his failing to hold Payton accountable and his allowing Payton to act as de facto general manager.

I don't know his name but there's a guy in Green Bay who they like so much that they're thinking of asking Ted Thompson to step down and take an advisory role so that they don't lose him. That's a person I'd like to see us talk to, just don't know if he's ready to leave GB.

Is it possible, Loomis wants to make changes to the staff and Payton is pushing back? This is Payton's way of trying to control the situation? Thoughts?????

Who knows what is going on, and who knows how much authority over staff and other matters Payton has under his contract. But Payton could have killed the rumors in 10 seconds when answering questions yesterday, and he declined to do so.

And it would be nice to see whoever is running the show go public and show some level of accountability. I guess one day this we get the postseason press conference.

I am not sure about the prognosis offered because Pioli did so poorly in Kansas City. But I agree completely with the diagnosis--Loomis has been the problem with his failing to hold Payton accountable and his allowing Payton to act as de facto general manager.

His problem was not bringing a suitable quarterback, but take a look at his draft picks, there and at New England and Atlanta.

Other candidates are welcomed.

I don't know his name but there's a guy in Green Bay who they like so much that they're thinking of asking Ted Thompson to step down and take an advisory role so that they don't lose him. That's a person I'd like to see us talk to, just don't know if he's ready to leave GB.

That is Eliot Wolfe, son of Ron Wolfe. Tough to get him out of Green Bay.

I would love to have him. The Packers have the right approach of being patient, build by the draft, prepare for replacing players that eventually will leave for higher salaries and use free agency only when needed and mostly by acquiring players released from contracts.

Looking for GMs, no doubt to look at the pupils of New England, Green Bay and Baltimore is the way to go.

I would like to see Peyton Manning return to his hometown and become the G.M. of his home team.

Manning has a tremendous amount of football knowledge and he knows a lot of very football savvy people inside and outside the league. His football wisdom and connections would be a powerful combination!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom