For 2017 we need a better football administration (a new G.M.) (1 Viewer)

Do you guys think that the buck stops with Loomis? Just curious.

We don't know.

Here's the chain of command. Dennis Lauscha is the de facto replacement of Mr.Benson. He has the trust of the owners and is in charge of the big picture.

Below him is Mickey Loomis, who is in charge of both sports organizations.

Focusing on the Saints only, the problem is that Mickey is both team President and GM. We don't know how deep Lauscha is involved but it seems to me that Mickey is a CEO that answers only to himself.

And Mickey has a strong relation with Payton, what he wants, he gets.

We need better planning, a structure that looks way after the season and focus on mid and long terms. We don't have evidence we work that way. A new GM should bring that.

Chris Ballard is the best GM option available in my honest opinion. Just a talented "football" guy who is not only a shrewd when it comes to talent evaluation but also is a person who does not mind admitting when he is wrong. That's a great trait to possess in this business because sometimes you have to be willing to cut your losses and move on. He has been key to the Chiefs' turnaround after Pioli performed so poorly there.

Pioli has a bad reputation around league circles. He lacks certain traits to be an effective leader and when he's in positions of power he becomes more concerned about the power he has than leading people toward a path of success. It is one thing to succeed with Bill running the show but it is quite another to direct things on his own. He was spectacularly unsuccessful in Kansas City not only in terms of choosing players but also selecting coaches. Let's not forget that all of them were closed to being terminated last year. But they were retained, the Falcons had a successful year, and now Pioli's stock has been artificially elevated. The juice, I am telling you, is just not worth the squeeze.

We don't know.

Here's the chain of command. Dennis Lauscha is the de facto replacement of Mr.Benson. He has the trust of the owners and is in charge of the big picture.

Focusing on the Saints only, the problem is that Mickey is both team President and GM. We don't know how deep Lauscha is involved but it seems to me that Mickey is a CEO that answers only to himself.

We need better planning, a structure that looks way after the season and focus on mid and long terms. We don't have evidence we work that way. A new GM should bring that.

The problem is that short of getting caught stealing from Benson, Loomis is not going anywhere until Benson passes (and even then, its reasonable to expect him to stay on under Gayle).

He's got more job security than probably anyone else in the building.

Let's step back a little for a second and view this a little differently. There was a post about the consistent greatness of the Spurs. How can they lose David Robinson and win 3 more titles? They lost Duncan last year. I saw them a few weeks ago and they look like a title contender this year.

1) The Spurs have a strategic plan they follow throughout the organization. It's starts with Peter Holt, the owner, supporting his FO without meddling.
2) Their plan is to find the players that fit their system: move the ball a lot, pass a lot, find the open man, play team ball and tough defense.
3) So the scouts, under Buford, the GM, know exactly what type of players they are to find. The Spurs realized about 12 years ago that many of these type players were international in Europe and South America.
4) Players with promise were coached-up over 2-4 years and not dumped on poor performance in the 1st 1-2 years.
5) Everyone knows their role. Everyone in the organization knows the goals. and everyone knows their responsibilities.
6) Each year they tweak the plan based on previous years results and each coach, scout, GM and Pop know their goals and are judged so they can adjust at the years end.

This is a far cry from the Saints since 2013, always one player away from another SB run. As many have said, this mentality has led us to way too many quick, rash expensive mistakes. The Saints do not have a strategic plan. It's knee jerk way to often and there is not accountability measurement - and consequences/changes.

The Packers, Steelers, Ravens and Pats function like the Spurs. Loomis is not that leader to run a strategic NFL plan.

We don't know.

I think we can all agree that Loomis is not a "football guy" and he signs whomever Payton wants to sign. So in reality, I've always felt like Payton was more of the dual role Coach/GM, Loomis is more of the puppet, IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom