For 2017 we need a better football administration (a new G.M.) (1 Viewer)

Agree 110% with you. A decade is a long body of coaching work to examine a coaches strengths and weaknesses. SP cannot assemble an upper 3rd defense. He cannot pick ST coaches and he can't select FG kickers.

A real GM would cause friction with SP. Right now, SP has nearly 100% control of player personnel and coaches. A good quality GM would recognize those weakness and try and do for SP what he cannot do for himself, cover up SP's weaknesses.

I really suspect this possibility is one of the reasons SP is pimping around the Ram and Charger jobs. Not that SP really intends to leave, but to make sure he has complete control as he does now.

Except for in 2006, 2010, 2013 where we were in the top 3rd for yards (the typical total defense stat).

He's only picked on ST coach, right? So, that's arguable.

We've had a few good kickers over the years.

We don't see the friction. We don't know jack about what goes on in the FO. For all we know there is some friction.

that being said, your theory about Sean's willingness to make it sound like he's interested in other jobs is a good one.

I do feel like this team is in a better position this off season than last. If it weren't for Jahri being available, healthy and bailing us out, we'd have had a really terrible offensive year as well. We still need to address the Offensive line (either for 2017 replacement or to be ready for 2018). We definitely need another OG, and we probably need a RT of the future. We still need another Edge rusher, and we need a LB or two, and likely another CB.

That grocery list seems shorter than years past.. and we have money to spend.

I would like to see Peyton Manning return to his hometown and become the G.M. of his home team.

Manning has a tremendous amount of football knowledge and he knows a lot of very football savvy people inside and outside the league. His football wisdom and connections would be a powerful combination!

I think there is a bigger chance he ends as a GM in Indianapolis then in New Orleans.

There are many rumours that Pagano will stay and Grigson,the GM will be fired. If so, no doubt Irsay will consider Manning for the job. Peyton's football relationship is way stronger with Indy then New Orleans.

Last edited:
Guillermo, I think Piolo also had a hand in hiring as head coach Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel. For me, Green Bay and Baltimore are the model franchises. New England is sui generis because of Belichick--the coaches and others leaving that franchise have had problems being successful.

And from a distance, I would suggest that Peyton Manning really has no special connection to New Orleans, and has stronger ties to Indianapolis and Knoxville. Manning one day might make a fine executive. But at this time, he totally lacks the experience to be considered for such a position.

It's not just the Saints, either. The Pelicans are facing some of the same issues. The organization is wasting the talents of Anthony Davis in much the same way the Saints are wasting away Drew Brees. In other words, this issue is bigger than Sean Payton. There are some serious changes that need to be made on an executive level of this organization before we see any drastic changes on the field or the basketball court.

We need a General Manager that holds the Coach more accountable to the past failures. Instead its "Make it happen Loomis" causing the team to sign bad free agents and costly contracts that have cost this team dearly. Clearly who is the real General Manager? Payton or Loomis?

I think you're onto something.

One of the issues with our FO is that Sean Payton seems to have the last word on personnel/team composition as well as all of the aspects of coaching. I think Payton has a good football mind for sure, but I also think he has blind spots that a good foil would reveal and help to moderate.

Can it really be a coincidence that we've had terrible defenses during almost his entire tenure here? The 2006 defense was actually one of the best during Payton's tenure, and that was with Gary Gibbs as DC, who was generally acknowledged among us as a poor DC.

I think SP gave Gregg Williams free reign to build the defense in his image and paid a massive price for it, so he has insisted on some form of micromanagement of every subsequent DC, including personnel. Payton's specialty is offense, and we need a voice that advocates for everything else that running this team entails.

I think you're onto something.

One of the issues with our FO is that Sean Payton seems to have the last word on personnel/team composition as well as all of the aspects of coaching. I think Payton has a good football mind for sure, but I also think he has blind spots that a good foil would reveal and help to moderate.

Can it really be a coincidence that we've had terrible defenses during almost his entire tenure here? The 2006 defense was actually one of the best during Payton's tenure, and that was with Gary Gibbs as DC, who was generally acknowledged among us as a poor DC.

I think SP gave Gregg Williams free reign to build the defense in his image and paid a massive price for it, so he has insisted on some form of micromanagement of every subsequent DC, including personnel. Payton's specialty is offense, and we need a voice that advocates for everything else that running this team entails.

I think the biggest problem of this administration is the impulse buying. Some of the co tracts awarded made me think that we are working without a budget structure and mid and long term plan.

We had gambled thinking we are a player away. We have finally realized that we are not.

We need a strong figure to add patience to our process, someone who will value our draft picks, the middle of our roster and who can with the vision of 3 years ahead.

We need a General Manager that holds the Coach more accountable to the past failures. Instead its "Make it happen Loomis" causing the team to sign bad free agents and costly contracts that have cost this team dearly. Clearly who is the real General Manager? Payton or Loomis?

We need an owner that holds both accountable. Sounds like you're giving Loomis a pass.

I don't know the dynamics at Airline Drive and how everything works, but right now I see Dennis Lauscha and Mickey Loomis having similar roles.

I understand that in the future Mr. Lauscha will be taking the decisions an owner will normally make. Loomis then will be in control of both franchises. We need then, and I focus on the Saints only, a General Manager in charge of planning, building and keeping structure, cap management, recruiting and held accountability at all levels.

We need someone with the authority to push the breaks on impulse purchases, who can demand changes of coaches and trainers when needed, who will keep an eye to constantly improve our organization, and who will have the stones to let players and coaches leave when the moment comes. Loomis is not that.

As I wrote, this is further then Payton's gossip. We need a better, more defined structure. We need to be better prepared for whatever happens, and I think Pioli is the best man to do it.

In the case scenario that Payton would leave, I would trust Pioli better then Loomis to pick the next head coach.

Amen!

I would like to see Peyton Manning return to his hometown and become the G.M. of his home team.

Manning has a tremendous amount of football knowledge and he knows a lot of very football savvy people inside and outside the league. His football wisdom and connections would be a powerful combination!

Puke.

I am not sure about the prognosis offered because Pioli did so poorly in Kansas City. But I agree completely with the diagnosis--Loomis has been the problem with his failing to hold Payton accountable and his allowing Payton to act as de facto general manager.

agree 100%. It's not fair to SP. He is not being developed as a great HC. He needs someone to help cover his coaching weaknesses. Not having a GM is hurting SP.

Except for in 2006, 2010, 2013 where we were in the top 3rd for yards (the typical total defense stat).

He's only picked on ST coach, right? So, that's arguable.

We've had a few good kickers over the years.

We don't see the friction. We don't know jack about what goes on in the FO. For all we know there is some friction.

that being said, your theory about Sean's willingness to make it sound like he's interested in other jobs is a good one.

I do feel like this team is in a better position this off season than last. If it weren't for Jahri being available, healthy and bailing us out, we'd have had a really terrible offensive year as well. We still need to address the Offensive line (either for 2017 replacement or to be ready for 2018). We definitely need another OG, and we probably need a RT of the future. We still need another Edge rusher, and we need a LB or two, and likely another CB.

That grocery list seems shorter than years past.. and we have money to spend.

oh my! I agree with nearly everything you are saying Ward. The times are a changing. I still think we need a GM to help SP with his weaknesses.

What GM is going to come here knowing he's going to be less favored than the HC? Or the fact that he will not have total say?

If you keep changing some things and not changing others and still not getting results, then the problem is with something that isn't changing. I think SP is a good coach but he needs guidance on defense and ST. That leaves the owner and the GM. Of the two, I'd rather replace the owner with one who isn't embroiled in drama. But that's probably not going to happen.

If you keep changing some things and not changing others and still not getting results, then the problem is with something that isn't changing. I think SP is a good coach but he needs guidance on defense and ST. That leaves the owner and the GM. Of the two, I'd rather replace the owner with one who isn't embroiled in drama. But that's probably not going to happen.

Yeah, you don't just, replace an owner. Its not a thing. Even Donald Sterling had to agree to sell the Clippers amid unreal pressure.

The things that haven't been changed the last 3 years are the GM, Coach and position coaches. Loomis, the cap magician got us in this mess. Payton is too loyal to his position coaches to make those changes. We do have some cap space next year, but we will see what they do with it. I just cant buy that its 100% the fault of players like Stephone Anthony that they aren't being developed.

Do you guys think that the buck stops with Loomis? Just curious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom