For A Startup, I Think The AAF Had A Successful Debut (1 Viewer)

If I recall though it took the USFL a few years to gain credibility. I remember the Gamblers trying out players off the streets (remember the dude with the Mr. T haircut?). When they got Herschel Walker though it was the beginning of the end.

Not sure what you recall (cuz I was there for 111 days as a kick returner), but Herschel was NEVER in a Gamblers uni.. he ran with Trump's Generals up in NJ.. we had guys like Jimmy Kelly, Ricky Sanders, Richard Johnson, Clarence Verdin (my room-mate), etc.. miss them times, seriously good times, not hard-line NFL, but loose as hell USFL style.. one torn hammy away from fullfilling a life-long dream.. but hey, it is what it is.. & ftr, the USFL woulda' survived if they woulda' just stayed in the spring.. trying to move to the fall-time vs. the NFL wasn't such a hot idea.. a bucks worth.

NW.

Last edited:
This next week will be crucial. The XFL ratings nosedived after week 1. If the AAF follows the same pattern, thats a huge concern. But from the other forums I read, it does seem like the response is generally positive. The question is will people stick with it.

Right now, there is a sweet spot before March Madness, and with the NBA and NHL still in regular season, and before the MLB starts in April. The league was smart to schedule it for this time.

I dunno.. I missed the Saturday games and found out I don’t have cbssn..

I felt the Arizona game’s broadcast was garbage. There was no effort put into the broadcast itself. The gameplay was nice, but I’ve seen more effort put into high school game broadcasts on ESPN than the NFL network did on the Arizona AAF game.

The broadcasters didn’t seem to either know or have a reference sheet of info on the players. At one point calling a player by number only and saying he had a great camp. You couldn’t hear the referee’s calls because the audio was garbled. The green screen set they had was jacking up the ladies’ hair when they’d move their heads.. just a blur that wrecked havoc on my eyes.

It was very poor effort to broadcast the game. The gameplay itself was great, but I couldn’t keep watching the broadcast because of the poor effort put into airing it
I actually enjoyed the lack of broadcasting and enjoyed the speed of the game

If I recall though it took the USFL a few years to gain credibility. I remember the Gamblers trying out players off the streets (remember the dude with the Mr. T haircut?). When they got Herschel Walker though it was the beginning of the end.

:) I sure remember the league and watch the old Breakers games on YouTube during the offseason. The league itself was around for only a few years. The Gamblers might've had players off the streets, but they also had Jim Kelly, a future NFL HOF'er, plus several other players who started on NFL teams when the league folded. For whatever reason, I know that WR Clarence Verdin, a La. native, played for them and later played for the Colts and Falcons. Herschel Walker played for the N.J. Generals and played for them from the very start of the league. The real beginning of the end was chronicled in the 30-for-30 documentary "Small Potatoes." To avoid this being moved to the political board, I'll just leave that up to your own curiosity.

:) I sure remember the league and watch the old Breakers games on YouTube during the offseason. The league itself was around for only a few years. The Gamblers might've had players off the streets, but they also had Jim Kelly, a future NFL HOF'er, plus several other players who started on NFL teams when the league folded. For whatever reason, I know that WR Clarence Verdin, a La. native, played for them and later played for the Colts and Falcons. Herschel Walker played for the N.J. Generals and played for them from the very start of the league. The real beginning of the end was chronicled in the 30-for-30 documentary "Small Potatoes." To avoid this being moved to the political board, I'll just leave that up to your own curiosity.

Oops my bad I think I'm confusing the Gamblers with the Breakers!

The broadcasters didn’t seem to either know or have a reference sheet of info on the players. At one point calling a player by number only and saying he had a great camp.

Unfortunately, that's a product of how the league spent it's first pre-season. Apparently, ALL of the players were at a single training camp. Imagine what would happen if an NFL broadcaster was required to call an NFL game, and it was a brand new team, and the players had only been assigned to the team a week or so prior. I'm sure they would struggle with who some (or all) of the players are.

Watched 3 of the 4 games and enjoyed all 3. The one I missed was the Birmingham game, so good one to miss.

It will be interesting to watch these teams develop and see who makes it to the NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom