For A Startup, I Think The AAF Had A Successful Debut (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can’t compare it to the USFL because I wasn’t around, but I think this was everything you could ask for in a debut spring football league.
I think this may be the League that stays.

XFL did pretty well in its opening as well and it fell apart. AAF seems to have the support of the NFL though so that is certainly a plus. We shall see but yeah, not bad.

I dunno.. I missed the Saturday games and found out I don’t have cbssn..

I felt the Arizona game’s broadcast was garbage. There was no effort put into the broadcast itself. The gameplay was nice, but I’ve seen more effort put into high school game broadcasts on ESPN than the NFL network did on the Arizona AAF game.

The broadcasters didn’t seem to either know or have a reference sheet of info on the players. At one point calling a player by number only and saying he had a great camp. You couldn’t hear the referee’s calls because the audio was garbled. The green screen set they had was jacking up the ladies’ hair when they’d move their heads.. just a blur that wrecked havoc on my eyes.

It was very poor effort to broadcast the game. The gameplay itself was great, but I couldn’t keep watching the broadcast because of the poor effort put into airing it

I felt the Arizona game’s broadcast was garbage. There was no effort put into the broadcast itself. The gameplay was nice, but I’ve seen more effort put into high school game broadcasts on ESPN than the NFL network did on the Arizona AAF game.

The broadcasters didn’t seem to either know or have a reference sheet of info on the players. At one point calling a player by number only and saying he had a great camp. You couldn’t hear the referee’s calls because the audio was garbled. The green screen set they had was jacking up the ladies’ hair when they’d move their heads.. just a blur that wrecked havoc on my eyes.

It was very poor effort to broadcast the game. The gameplay itself was great, but I couldn’t keep watching the broadcast because of the poor effort put into airing it

Agree, I think they could do alot better broadcasting and with camera work. But I think they got the most important part right, which was the on field product.

You know I'll have to label it a win so far for me. Gave me alot to watch on an otherwise football-less weekend (and being jaded from NBA in it's current state)
On the field product was quite decent, maybe a step above preseason games, and things like the ref transparency is refreshing.
Also, what might help it survive is it being in the social media age. Whereas people would've forgotten about it after one week otherwise, people are starting to creep onto message boards, pick teams and talk smack, make fun of and make memes about the lesser teams. If they can successfully create even this subculture and hold some attention for awhile, it might just have a shot.

Good post by the OP.

No, it's not the NFL, but the variation in rules makes it interesting, if not exciting.

Somehow, I believe the Saints will see someone in the AAF who has the potential for being a dynamic PR/KR, and go after him. :scratch:

We could use another Beerman or Tyrone Hughes-type!

:gosaints:

I wonder how long they will allow the hits on the quarterbacks.

I'm hoping it does well. Just happy to have some football to watch this weekend.

Won’t say the name but one of the broadcasters said he didn’t like the sky judge. And that the correct team was in the super bowl. Bleep him.

The rule where you can only rush 5 pass rushers on Defense is laughable and should be changed if this league wants any credibility going forward.

Other than that I thought the games were average at best, there was a lot of mediocrity sprinkled in with moments of excitement on big hits, interceptions, trick plays... but a whole lot of bad Quarterback play was pretty consistent. The Arizona game tonight featured some better QB play but the AAF gets a Meh for me for now.. it's Football and a developmental league but you can tell the quality and consistency aren't there yet.

I haven't decided on a team to pull for yet so I will go with pulling for anyone who faces Spurrier and Orlando

I can’t compare it to the USFL because I wasn’t around, but I think this was everything you could ask for in a debut spring football league.
I think this may be the League that stays.
I enjoyed it and think the NFL could adopt many of the positives from the league. As far as the USFL, it had some of the best players in the world. Jim Kelley, Steve Young, and Herschel Walker to name a few. Biggest difference for me they had some star attraction.

I watched the San Diego Antonio game, and enjoyed it. Offenses still have plenty to work on, but overall it was entertaining, and more NFL-drafted guys than I expected. I thought the broadcast team was good, the hot mikes and sky judge were great to have.

To be honest, if I didn't frequent this site, I would've never heard of AAF. In fact, last week I had to look it up, because I kept seeing it, but had no idea what it was. I don't watch a lot of broadcast TV, but I do turn it on every morning so I can listen to the weather report as I get ready for work. Not once has AAF ever been mentioned, so I'm not sure it's as popular as people are making it out to be. Have there been any commercials? How did all of you hear about it, because this site is still the only place I've ever seen or heard it mentioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom