For A Startup, I Think The AAF Had A Successful Debut (1 Viewer)

I wonder how long they will allow the hits on the quarterbacks.
As soon as the quarterbacks start signing enormous contracts in that league.
A lot of the hits to QBs in those games would have gotten NFL players fined & suspended. :covri:

Name names! :devilish::poop:
Probably MJD. I watched all the games available to me but turned that game off at halftime. Even the announcers joked about his bias towards any one affiliated with UCLA. The dude just doesn’t need to be any sort of position that is supposed to be free from bias. He has proven he can’t analyze things free from his emotional ties.

I'm excited about these games. Not about watching them on TV . About going to them.

I'm 53 years old. I've never sat on the 50 yard line, first rows. Now I'm going to do it. Frontier Airlines. I can fly to a city like Orlando for $60. A flight and ticket on front row 50 yard line?..... for $100? Watching NFL level talent (almost) competing?

Sign me up.

As soon as the quarterbacks start signing enormous contracts in that league.
A lot of the hits to QBs in those games would have gotten NFL players fined & suspended. :covri:
Exactly what I said. If that QB was making 32 million a year, you wouldn’t be allowed to breath on him, much less hit him legally and have his helmet fly across the field. The NFL is now officiated with the sole purpose of protecting billionaire’s investments.

I can’t compare it to the USFL because I wasn’t around, but I think this was everything you could ask for in a debut spring football league.
I think this may be the League that stays.

It's not in direct competition with the NFL for top-tier talent, like the USFL was in its three-season existence in the mid-1980s. It's being supported in spirit, basically, by the NFL because many of the guys on rosters would love to get another shot at an NFL contract. The names on its list of founders, executives and investors are fairly impressive, and includes Bill Polian, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward and Jared Allen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_American_Football#Business

Last edited:
I can’t compare it to the USFL because I wasn’t around, but I think this was everything you could ask for in a debut spring football league.
I think this may be the League that stays.

Well you can't really compare the AAF to the USFL, it's a different setup, time and era.. the USFL packed some of their cities in their inaugural season, and the AAF (from what I saw) had some stadiums maybe half way full.. Now, that's no knock against the new kids, personally I think they'll do just fine if they don't try to do something silly, like get too big too fast, or start shelling out huge dollars for players.. I love their concept!.. but what really blew me away watching the Salt Lake City/ Arizona matchup was this..

15/30 SECOND COMMERCIALS!!!!

Wtih the NFL we're spending like 5mins. watching commercials when they cut out.. with the AAF they had like 1 15 second commercial or 2 15 second commercials, and then bam, back to the game! Love Love Love that!!.. they're out to speed up the game, well that's how you do it .. I'll be keeping a close eye on these guys.. and ftr, watching AZ was like watching the Saints, even gotta few of our former guys out there run'n around doin' well.

NW.

Probably MJD. I watched all the games available to me but turned that game off at halftime. Even the announcers joked about his bias towards any one affiliated with UCLA. The dude just doesn’t need to be any sort of position that is supposed to be free from bias. He has proven he can’t analyze things free from his emotional ties.

Yeah, he's had issues bagging the Saints in the past. Thanks!

It's not in direct competition with the NFL for top-tier talent, like the USFL was in its three-season existence in the mid-1980s. It's being supported in spirit, basically, by the NFL because many of the guys on rosters would love to get another shot at an NFL contract. The names on its list of founders, executives and investors are fairly impressive, and includes Bill Polian, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward and Jared Allen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_American_Football#Business

If I recall though it took the USFL a few years to gain credibility. I remember the Gamblers trying out players off the streets (remember the dude with the Mr. T haircut?). When they got Herschel Walker though it was the beginning of the end.

Didnt care for the no kickoffs and no extra points, it that's just me.

Really dont like the illegal defense calls. Can only rush 5... I get it, but I saw 3 flags for this where there were only 5 rushing and one LB either faking a rush or simple being the spy. The announcers started to mention this twice then shut up real quick. Figure they were told not to contradict calls or point out flaws.

Hopefully theyll get this cleaned up, because other than that I really enjoyed the games.

As for the sloppy offensive play, I think that's to be expected with such a short preseason. Defense has a huge advantage since their job is to read and react and much of offense is based on timing. Another reason is the worldwide shortage of quality offensive linemen. In every game I watched, the OLs were getting destroyed on almost every play.

I can see spread offenses taking root in this league much like it has in college.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom