For all of the Mike Jenkins fans... (1 Viewer)

OldSaintFan

USM Golden Eagles
Reaction score
This is a quote from the Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide: " Mike Jenkins downside... Plays down to the level of competition. Has poor practice habits_finds excuses not to practice, does not understand why it's important and relies way too muich on his natural talent. He has been coddled throughtout college and expect prima donna treatment. Takes too many plays off on the field. Tends to freelance and do his own thing in part because of his lack of dicipline. Will turn down some contact and is a very selective hitter. Only hits when he feels like it. Average ball skills. Marginal hands. Tight in the hips. Does not like to participate on special teams. Lacks mental toughness."

His upside: " Has a very good size-speed ratio and can recover easily when out of position. Great closing speed. Excellent man-cover skills. Can flip his hips, stick his foot in the ground and come out of breaks fast.

Concensus: "High-risk pick".

Do you still want him as out pick?

Mike Jenkins downside... Tight in the hips.

His upside: " Can flip his hips, stick his foot in the ground and come out of breaks fast.

Contradictory statement. :shrug: Anyhow...

Each player will be scrutinized, tested, talked about with their college coaches, etc. Remember who else was a "problem child" at college? Marques Colston. Now, he wasn't the high talent that Jenkins is, but it did cause him to drop a bit. Plaxico Burress also had warnings put out about him from the same coaches that put out warnings about Demetrius Underwood. Randy Moss had character issues that dropped him to Pick 21, and below Kevin Dyson.

Moral of the story? The draft is a crap shoot, players are a crap shoot, and teams better do their homework...but not everyone who is a problem child in college flops in the NFL.

Last edited:
<b>"Plays down to the level of competition. Has poor practice habits_finds excuses not to practice, does not understand why it's important"</b>

that statement alone would scare me away from him with any draft pick, let alone the #10 overall

Last edited:
Playing down to the level of competition isn't such a big deal in the NFL. It's not like they have bad receivers(not including devery) starting on most teams. Playing to your level of competition also means you can stick his *** on Moss and he'll perform:p

Sounds half like Jason David actually.....great recovery speed when out of position, etc. etc....

Picking A Db With A First Round Pick Is A Crap Shoot. There Are At Least 5 At That Position That Could Be Available At The Ten Spot. Payton's Got Some Homework To Do Before April 26th. His Burden Will Be Lessened If Dorsey Is Sitting There At Ten.

Everyone please realize that the statements about his supposedly poor practice habits are exactly what the Hofstra coaches said about Marques Colston that scared everyone away (along with supposedly not being a "team player"). I'm not sure what Colston did that so ticked off his coaches there that they spread those nasty rumors about him, but as we well know, none of it was true.

I don't know where this report originates (coaches, scouts, some USF fan or rival school fan, or what), but without some substantial source for it, I'd say these guys are just talking blah, blah, woof, woof like a great number of the draftniks do.

Everyone please realize that the statements about his supposedly poor practice habits are exactly what the Hofstra coaches said about Marques Colston that scared everyone away (along with supposedly not being a "team player"). I'm not sure what Colston did that so ticked off his coaches there that they spread those nasty rumors about him, but as we well know, none of it was true.

I don't know where this report originates (coaches, scouts, some USF fan or rival school fan, or what), but without some substantial source for it, I'd say these guys are just talking blah, blah, woof, woof like a great number of the draftniks do.

true, but colston wasn't a top 10 pick
you dont take a guy with supposed bad habits at 10

Mel Kiper's evaluation in 2001: Richard Seymour, DT, Georgia -- Still carries a high grade as far as the seniors are concerned, but his up and down performances in the SEC could result in some mixed opinion on whether he's future Pro Bowl material. Folks, in order to establish yourself as a top 10 pick in round one, you'd better convince the NFL brass that a trip to Hawaii in early February is in the cards. Seymour certainly has the natural talent to wreak havoc, but there were games this season in which he didn't always perform up to the level expected. Ultimately, you could see the 6'5", 290-pounder be regarded as a gamble on greatness if selected in the early-mid portion of round one. (Drafted 6th)

Seymour has earned a Pro Bowl berth in each of the past five seasons (except 2007) and is the only member of the Patriots to currently own a streak of multiple Pro Bowl seasons. His five Pro Bowl berths are the most by any Patriots defensive lineman since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

All players have upsides and down sides. It's like the list of potential side effects in those t.v. ads from drug companies. Possible rectal bleeding you would think would scare a lot of people away. Turns out it's not likely to happen.

I watched Jenkins play every game of his college career...

If I was given 30 guesses as to what USF player was being described in that, Jenkins would not be one of them...

I could care less what PFW says, I'd much rather rely on things that beat writers of the team say (that he's a hard worker and a very classy individual) or what the coaches say... It's garbage...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom