For all those in Southeast [now Southwest as well] Louisiana... (1 Viewer)

I spent my Friday w/ over 150 other volunteers at Barrel Proof on Magazine helping make over 5,200k pb&j sammiches, pack 'em w/ snacks, and load 'em up for delivery to areas around BR. That was very cool. They did it initially on Wed, made 2k sammiches. Hopefully they'll do it again this week. Oh, and Guido, there's some free sand about a block away from Barrel Proof if ya need some for your backyard :ezbill:... Plus a short vid...

https://www.facebook.com/SueStrachan504/videos/524305361097073/?pnref=story

Attachments

• sammiches1.jpg
    sammiches1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 9
  • sammiches2.jpg
    sammiches2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 9
  • sammiches3.jpg
    sammiches3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 9
  • sammiches4.jpg
    sammiches4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 74
  • freesandnola.jpg
    freesandnola.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 10
Another house cleaned out... Today was off of 1026 just south of I-12 in Denham. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57bbbc225440f/IMG_20160822_133728066.jpg?

Big crew today... 12 on demolition alone.

It was a very thorough job and I was proud to work with those guys although my knees and shoulder forced me to quit by 3pm today... I think that if the mold remediation was done and the studs were dry that we could've begun hanging sheet rock today.

That area was hit crazy hard... On Forest Delatte Rd. A few blocks away, the mud line on the trees seemed like it was over the roof of my truck in some spots. If the picture attaches and is viewable (hosting via tapatalk) you'll see an area a bit higher in elevation, but just down the road from where it was 6' deep in the street.

Another house cleaned out... Today was off of 1026 just south of I-12 in Denham. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57bbbc225440f/IMG_20160822_133728066.jpg?

Big crew today... 12 on demolition alone.

It was a very thorough job and I was proud to work with those guys although my knees and shoulder forced me to quit by 3pm today... I think that if the mold remediation was done and the studs were dry that we could've begun hanging sheet rock today.

That area was hit crazy hard... On Forest Delatte Rd. A few blocks away, the mud line on the trees seemed like it was over the roof of my truck in some spots. If the picture attaches and is viewable (hosting via tapatalk) you'll see an area a bit higher in elevation, but just down the road from where it was 6' deep in the street.

I have pictures of the mud line from the same exact place. If you kept driving down a bit farther on the right hand side it opens up to a big field. The mud lines running along the field and the tree lines were also quite impressive. Just shows how deep for how big of an area it was.

I have pictures of the mud line from the same exact place. If you kept driving down a bit farther on the right hand side it opens up to a big field. The mud lines running along the field and the tree lines were also quite impressive. Just shows how deep for how big of an area it was.

I watched your interview with the Meyer family in DS. Great job! There are so many families like them here. Thank you for giving one a voice.

When it's too big to comprehend I always go back to Celebrity Jeopardy from SNL... What is "Eleventy Billion" Alex...

There had to be eleventy billion gallons of water dropped in the region. It's just insane how wide-spread the devastation is... I can understand Metairie & New Orleans for Katrina... We're inside of a bowl. The levees keep us hemmed in and when you don't push the water out the bowl w/ pumping, then it builds up and floods homes.

This was from Baton Rouge to east of I-55. The amount of water that was pushed into homes, and the elevations at which it happened is unreal.

This isn't going to be over for a LONG time...

on Saturday, while ripping out sheet rock and hauling furniture out of my mother-in-law's house, we had some guys from St. Bernard parish swing through and deliver lunch to the neighborhood...

that was pretty awesome of those guys....very much appreciated....

on Saturday, while ripping out sheet rock and hauling furniture out of my mother-in-law's house, we had some guys from St. Bernard parish swing through and deliver lunch to the neighborhood...

that was pretty awesome of those guys....very much appreciated....

I'm not going to lie... I was doing it for the bbq.

We had a guy show up at the house yesterday with a tow-behind BBQ 'kitchen'. Mad props to that guy...

He even had a 'hand-wash' station that he'd improvised because he knew we'd need it.

I thought I wasn't going to be hungry. The smell near the trash piles is enough to make you swear off food for a while, but then I sat in the shade for a bit to take a break and the charcoal & wood smoke smell wafted over to me.

I decided I could probably eat after all. Mouth is watering now thinking about that burger.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/22/us/louisiana-flooding-maps.html?_r=0

pretty interesting map.

scroll down to see "blackout" map- Nasa night photos of normal evening ( lights) and night of flood.

The scale is just shocking. But on those two night-satellite images, it just feels to me that those aren't apples to apples (maybe the contrast has been adjusted or some of the haze from the light glow pulled down). Would there really have been a significant diminishment power on the far east of the map? North of Slidell, or parts of the West Bank, for instance? Did those areas experience anything that would cause power outages?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom