for anyone afraid of vilma and his knee read this (1 Viewer)

80% chance is good but not when risking a major draft pick. Furthermore a MLB is constantly in major collisions and I am not sure his longevity would be much considering the NFL game takes a toll even on players who do not have potentially chronic knee problems.

I remember Amare was shaky after coming off of this surgery, and thats basketball.

I can only imagine how shaky Vilma will be. He may need another season.

if we trade a 4th round draft pick for him and he does work then that would be awesome. If we trade and he doesn't it's no worse than last years 4th round draft picks. I think the upside is defiantly worth it.

If Saints could get Vilma for a 4th rounder or less, then they should jump on it, surgery or not.

even if I had to wait for another year for a player like Vilma I still send my 4th rounder no questions asked.

Wasn't david Jones a 5ht and he did not even make the team. I would definately give a 5th to turn into a 4th if he plays every game.

Taking a chance on him with a 2nd day draft pick is not the problem. It's that Vilma will be looking for contact extension when he is traded. He's going to want to be paid for his 2006 numbers, but I doubt anyone would take that chance.

If he tries to play this year to see if he is worth it at the end of the season, he probably won't be at 100% just yet.

Having said that, Kellen Winslow came back from offseason Microfracture surgery last year and has had less issues with his knee and had the best season of his short career.

The Saints can get a healthy LB in the fourth with as much ability without the obvious risk. Not being a prototypical 3-4 MLB means he's limited as a player. Z. Thomas is similar in size and has been successful in both systems. Pass on him unless it's for a sixth or seventh.

if we trade a 4th round draft pick for him and he does work then that would be awesome. If we trade and he doesn't it's no worse than last years 4th round draft picks. I think the upside is defiantly worth it.

Thank you....its not like we are gonna trade for him then sign him to a 6yr 50mill deal...its gonna be a mid round draft pick for a guy that is very productive when he was in a 4-3 and had an injury...if he doesnt work out, no need to fuse, because we got him for a draft pick, we talk about getting better but when we try or it gets picked apart (bad and good) to the point we lose focus on the big picture (trying to improve) everybody on this board wants a sure thing...and there is no such thing...thats why people on this board hate Reggie...they thought he was a sure thing.

they should try out trade no more than 4th round pick, if he is back as he was then great if not you did not lose, last year we cut A. Pittman and he was 4th round pick. we need more than one LB.

Vilma did not have microfracture surgery. From USA Today's FF site -

Dec. 31, 2007 - 9:22 a.m. ET
Jonathan Vilma's knee surgery was reportedly to remove floating bone chips and fragments.

He was seen on the Jets' sideline without crutches Sunday, a highly positive development. It was originally feared that Vilma underwent microfracture surgery, but that doesn't appear to be the case. There's a good chance Vilma will be dealt this offseason if he recovers well.
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

The microfracture reports were started prior with this -

Nov. 7, 2007 - 6:34 p.m. ET
An orthopedist tells Newsday that Jonathan Vilma may be undergoing microfracture surgery.

The doctor doesn't believe the Jets would've ended Vilma's season if he only needed an arthroscopic cleanup. He adds that Vilma may need two full years to rehabilitate from the microfracture procedure. Vilma's agent, Mitch Frankel, has said the surgery his client will undergo isn't career threatening and that surgeons expect Vilma to make a full recovery.
Source: Newsday

So if he can pass a Dr. Andrews physical I'm all for sending a conditional fourth rounder to the Jets to assure he ends up a Saint.

Here are the 4th round picks from 2000 to now......some real good players, some not. this is just to compare a what we would be giving up for a ? of a player.

Jermond Bushrod(quality...albeit unknow...lots of potential)
Antonio Pittman(quality)
Jahri Evans(stud)
Chase Lyman(dud)
Montrae Holland(quality)
Keyou Craver(dud)
Moran Norris(quality)
Terrelle Smith(stud)

2 misses, the rest are very good quality picks and 2 players are studs. Not sure I'd give up a 4th unless we're sure Vilma has quality years left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom