for anyone afraid of vilma and his knee read this (1 Viewer)

Vilma did not have microfracture surgery. From USA Today's FF site -

The microfracture reports were started prior with this -

So if he can pass a Dr. Andrews physical I'm all for sending a conditional fourth rounder to the Jets to assure he ends up a Saint.

I agree. I'd give up a 4th for this guy in a heartbeat if Andrews gives him the ok.

I agree. I'd give up a 4th for this guy in a heartbeat if Andrews gives him the ok.

The depth at MLB is what's got me iffy to the deal. I would be sick if we give up a 4th only to see Lofton/Mayo staring us in the face in round 2 and someone like Chevis Jackson/Sims available when the jets pick with our 4th round pick.

Lot of people said the same thing about Brees -- if you have the right guy -- with the right attitude -- then it may be worth the risk

Not sure I'd give up a 4th unless we're sure Vilma has quality years left.

Vilma's 25 years old. If (and yes it's a huge "IF") he's recovered and can pass a Dr. Andrews physical he should have several quality years left.We aren't talking about 34 year old almost 35 Zach Thomas here. Thomas may have a season left but not more than two. Eventually he'll retire and whatever team he signs with will have to eat his signing bonus.

Vilma's 25 years old. If (and yes it's a huge "IF") he's recovered and can pass a Dr. Andrews physical he should have several quality years left.We aren't talking about 34 year old almost 35 Zach Thomas here. Thomas may have a season left but not more than two. Eventually he'll retire and whatever team he signs with will have to eat his signing bonus.

Cie Grant and Chase Lyman were young too. Age doesn't mean squat sometimes....

Hence the words "pass a Dr. Andrews physical" in my post. He won't be signed if he can't pass.......

I understand what you're saying totally, but I'm just saying I'm very weary when this team is ready to win now, especially with the salary cap money we have. we don't have to take on question marks.

Chase lyman passed physicals everytime he came back from sugery. That happened 7 times. Just because Vilma passes, doesn't mean Dr. Andrews can see into the future.

CHI-TOWNSAINT, I'm having a hard time understanding your argument against Vilma. Every MLB available this offseason has injury concerns - Thomas (he only played in 5 games last year) and Morgan (walking injury report. Played in 4 games over the last two seasons). So if I've got a choice between "old and injured" or "young and injured" I'll take "young and injured". Vilma might have a future longer than a season or two.

CHI-TOWNSAINT, I'm having a hard time understanding your argument against Vilma. Every MLB available this offseason has injury concerns - Thomas (he only played in 5 games last year) and Morgan (walking injury report. Played in 4 games over the last two seasons). So if I've got a choice between "old and injured" or "young and injured" I'll take "young and injured". Vilma might have a future longer than a season or two.

I'm not arguing Vilma compared to Thomas or Morgan....I actually haven't brought their names up once in this thread. What I have compared Vilma to in this thread is the draftable MLB's.

Because of the uncertainty......IMO, Vilma minus a 4th is < Lofton/Mayo + a 4th

Just to make this clear though, i would be happy with Vilma or Thomas. We need somone capable of manning the MLB spot THIS year

Last edited:
I'm not arguing Vilma compared to Thomas or Morgan....I actually haven't brought their names up once in this thread. What I have compared Vilma to in this thread is the draftable MLB's.

Because of the uncertainty......IMO, Vilma minus a 4th is > Lofton/Mayo + a 4th

Just to make this clear though, i would be happy with Vilma or Thomas. We need somone capable of manning the MLB spot THIS year

You put your ">" the wrong way. And Vilma can play the outside so if he is indeed healthy he'd be worth a 4th rounder. Then Lofton/Mayo could play the middle. Actually Mayo excelled as an OLB also so he could play either.

Our OLB this year played many more downs then our MLB this year because Simoneau only plays in base formations, and both had around the same number of tackles. Shanle is a career special teams player. He needs replacing and with his contract should probably be cut.

You put your ">" the wrong way. And Vilma can play the outside so if he is indeed healthy he'd be worth a 4th rounder. Then Lofton/Mayo could play the middle. Actually Mayo excelled as an OLB also so he could play either.

Our OLB this year played many more downs then our MLB this year because Simoneau only plays in base formations, and both had around the same number of tackles. Shanle is a career special teams player. He needs replacing and with his contract should probably be cut.

:hihi:

Not being a prototypical 3-4 MLB means he's limited as a player. .

I don't get what you mean? Are you saying that since Vilma didn't do as well in a 3-4 system he is not as "good" of a player. He had 116 tackles in 2006 in the 3-4 system, I don't call that limited. I agree he's not a prototypical 3-4 MLB, he's 230 lbs and needs the big guys up front to keep the big nasties off of him but so do most other guys. I don't see where he's limited, he just fits better in a 4-3, where he can use that 4.5 speed and run sideline to sideline and get 170 tackles like he did in 05' if i recall correctly.

i am not saying that we should get vilma or not but while the microfracture surgery is bad it can be a great rehab tool. people were saying kellen winslow's career could be over. he had the surgery in january of 2007 and played in the pro-bowl in 2008. here's the link

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10015196/rss

Wasn't david Jones a 5ht and he did not even make the team. I would definately give a 5th to turn into a 4th if he plays every game.

you have to look at that in a different way. this years draft is alot deeper that last years especially on defense. there's definitely a tremendous difference. honestly in this years 4th round, you could get a CB, RB or a WR that could start. It's that deep.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom