For defense to be consistently elite. It needs an elite defensive mind. Allen is good, but only elite in spurts. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's how it be. They get hot for several game. Scheme gets stale and figured out with film study. Fall asleep in the clutch. They revert to back to mean. They get hot again and sputter out in the playoffs.

Dennis Allen is a good DC. He maybe more talent dependent than you want to be Is he elite? I would say clearly no.

The problem is that there is only like 5 elite defensive minds in the whole landscape of the NFL that can get you that consistently elite performance.

So... You are stuck in a no man's land of probably can never get better unless you bet on an unknown commodity at coaching.

So, what you do? Maybe bring in some new analyst and assistant, I suppose. Right now... I hope the defense can get back into their groove. I really enjoy when the defense is playing elite.

I think DA has become a really good DC, but the offense has to give the defense something to work with. How can the defense get hyped up or feast off momentum, when the offense gives them nothing to get excited about??? You know these guys feel the weight of the world on their shoulders every week now. It’s appalling that SP has let our offense get to this point. His arrogance is his biggest downfall

Only so much any defense can do when your constantly on the field your getting 80 plays ran on u and Only thing the offense can do is positive is go 3 and out with out a turnover. Keep in mind there missing defensive players as well that help with subs and rotation.

17 of Eagles’ 40 points came off of Saints offense’s turnovers or on an extremely short field right after the offense’s turnovers

The defense is doing the best they can to carry the worst offense in the league. When they don’t look elite, we’re usually missing key starters to injury.

The problem is Allen is good enough at his job that despite the fact we all know the defense could be, should be better... it is a much higher chance that Allen's replacement is a dud and not a stud. It is why you see all these average to above average QBs get paid a gazillion dollars. It is way more likely they'll miss on the replacement than hit. Allen has his shortcomings and I'm not his biggest fan, but the state of the offense is much more alarming. Even before all the injuries on offense, the passing game cannot implode the way it did because it was missing Michael Thomas. I expect the Saints to aggressively address the receiving corps this offseason.

I was with you until you blamed Payton. This entire team was built to give Drew Brees a shot at another title. Drew retired, we let some offensive weapons go due to an already rough cap situation becoming worse because of Covid. MT not coming back and various other injuries have given what little talent the offense had left no chance against even average defenses. I would argue that they’ve played competitive games a credit to Sean Payton.
We have had many chances to bring in veteran WRs. SP has said before that his system is very complex, so he doesn’t like bringing in outside players late. Well, we once tried bringing in Dez and tried trading for OBJ. So, either he likes “big names”, he is full of himself, or he waits too long to act on a situation. And I’ll say this again. Players know many different systems across the league, just different variations of them. SP would rather trot these dudes out every week, instead of bringing in guys that have at least performed at a high level during their career. SP has been around long enough to know that our group of WRs were not good enough. That’s why he was so mad about the MT situation. Had we had other options, the MT deal would’ve been an easier pill to swallow. If you don’t at least blame SP for our offense, then I don’t know what to tell you. He constructed this offense. No one else.

SP’s system is built on complimentary football
depending on the opponent, one side is asked to carry the load for the game
its a system that’s been one of the most successful the last 5 or so years
but the O just hasn’t been able to shoulder the load this year for all the reasons we already know

What's up with Lattimore giving up big plays? It's happened all three games of this skid. Williams bailed him out once or twice today.

It's how it be. They get hot for several game. Scheme gets stale and figured out with film study. Fall asleep in the clutch. They revert to back to mean. They get hot again and sputter out in the playoffs.

Dennis Allen is a good DC. He maybe more talent dependent than you want to be Is he elite? I would say clearly no.

The problem is that there is only like 5 elite defensive minds in the whole landscape of the NFL that can get you that consistently elite performance.

So... You are stuck in a no man's land of probably can never get better unless you bet on an unknown commodity at coaching.

So, what you do? Maybe bring in some new analyst and assistant, I suppose. Right now... I hope the defense can get back into their groove. I really enjoy when the defense is playing elite.
Thank God for this by an ACQB. I can only hope the proper coaches come here to be "Baptized"

Well it’s brutal how bad we are on 3rd down, that has a lot to do with how much our defence is on the field. In terms of Dennis Allen, it seems to be that the guy has his calls, he situational stuff, but he just simply doesn’t have a feel for the game in big moments. That’s why we always seem to have the wrong play out there when it counts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom