For everyone concerned so much with the 40 times (1 Viewer)

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For what its worth, Mike Mckenzie ran the 40 around 4.55-4.58 and I know I've seen him run down some of the fastest guys in the league.

Anyone recall him chasing down, I believe it was Willie Parker, from behind and saving a touchdown?

Just sayin... Don't put too much stock in 40 times, even if the position is Cornerback...

For what its worth, Mike Mckenzie ran the 40 around 4.55-4.58 and I know I've seen him run down some of the fastest guys in the league.

Anyone recall him chasing down, I believe it was Willie Parker, from behind and saving a touchdown?
Just sayin... Don't put too much stock in 40 times, even if the position is Cornerback...

for that one play, i think they still ended up scoring... but i agree, 40 times are useless in the grand scheme of things unless you're looking for a "speedy" reciever

I've also seen him beat Boston to the ball. Predator has a deceptive long stride, with a brief afterburner.

When you have the fuzz, or a mad dog chasin ya, you find a new gear. Game speed is usually better than practice speed or 40 times. Isn't this somewhat considered "long" speed?

Also, we can include Colston in this conversation. Not a great 40 time, but he had one of the best 10yd times IIRC. Faster off the line than in the overall 40yds.

you may have 2 guys run similar 40's but when they put on pads, one of those guys may have a faster 40 than the other. should these guys wear pads during their runs at the combine?

Wouldn't make a difference pads or not, You have losers like Tom Shaw (I believe) who trains these guys for the combine. He trains thier 40's etc and all the timed events, most of these guys will not even be playing football in the shape they are in at the combine. They have just praticed these drills over and over and over so they can stand out, and try and improve the draft stock. The combine is less about football and more about a beauty contest IMO.

Unless a serious red flag jumps out at you, and injury, Ali Highsmith running a 6 second forty, that might have a little bearing, but still shouldn't be the be all end all. i hear alotta teams now a days really only go to the combine for the interview process, granted they have thier scouts there and what not, and coaches are all thier for the meetings. But thats about it.

what about 0.25 - 0.5 seconds to diagnose and react and decide the angle to run? Or just plain choosing the right angle that will alleviate that you are .1 or .2 slower over 40 yards?

compare that time increment to 40 yards of time (who runs that far?).

straight line speed is overrated, but does occasionally matter, read: McFadden.

I think being able to play the ball in the air and being aggressive are more important than 40 times.

Kinda strong words (loser) for a guy that you do not even know ie, ( " Tom Shaw, I believe" ). For the record Tom Shaw is a very respected speed and conditioning coach in the NFL. I assume that you believe Mackie Schillstone is a loser also? You might want to learn something about people before you come on here popping off about them being a " loser".

what about 0.25 - 0.5 seconds to diagnose and react and decide the angle to run? Or just plain choosing the right angle that will alleviate that you are .1 or .2 slower over 40 yards?

compare that time increment to 40 yards of time (who runs that far?).

straight line speed is overrated, but does occasionally matter, read: McFadden.

Great point... I have been saying this for a while as well. If it takes a guy with 4.2 track speed 3 tenths of a second longer to make a decision... or makes a bad decision that costs him 4 tenths of a second regularly... then he's no longer a 4.2 speed guy... he's a 4.5 to 4.6 speed guy.

Kinda strong words (loser) for a guy that you do not even know ie, ( " Tom Shaw, I believe" ). For the record Tom Shaw is a very respected speed and conditioning coach in the NFL. I assume that you believe Mackie Schillstone is a loser also? You might want to learn something about people before you come on here popping off about them being a " loser".

I think that anyone who trains these guys to run faster and skew combine numbers so they get picked higher is a tool.

P.S. how do you know I don't know Tom Shaw.

P.S.S. Yes I hate any director of any of those camps to help kids IMPROVE thier combine, and not thier overall game as a player.

Last edited:
The 40 is really overrated. Very rarely does a player ever run perfectly straight at full speed for 40 yards during an actual game. I think it's just more of a uniformed distance used to compare players. Game speed is totally different than 40 speed anyway. That's why I'm a little leery of guys that just rocket up during draft workouts after not producing at the college level...

That was Jason Craft who ran down Willie Parker. Craft can't cover much but is really fast.

That was Jason Craft who ran down Willie Parker. Craft can't cover much but is really fast.

No, I remember Mckenzie doing it. Maybe you're thinking about a different incident.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom