For PT lovers - a few facts (1 Viewer)

Archie_4_HOF

Northshore Who Dat
Reaction score
For the record, I like PT and think he adds value to the team.

I would like to remind you all of a guy named Fred McAfee who took over for an injured Dalton Hilliard, Gil Fenerty and Ironhead during the 1991 run to the NFC West division title. He finished the season as the teams leading rusher averaging 4.5 yards per carry. He did not have the great one game performance that PT did against the Bears but he was a very solid RB for a stretch of games in a division title season. Fred's career stats continued to declien from there until he became a career special teams player.

Many here want to hang the hopes of our running game on PT after one great game. Why? What do you have to prove he will be any different than Fred McAfee?

I hate this stuff. McAfee has nothing to do with Pierre. They're mutually exclusive situations. There's no one way or the other. There's a million shades of gray that can occur with PT.

We'll see whether or not he is for real in due time. In the meantime, what does everyone have against hope? Sometimes it seems like optimism is a violation of the TOS here.

It's the offseason. Let us hope.

Last edited:
Many here want to hang the hopes of our running game on PT after one great game. Why? What do you have to prove he will be any different than Fred McAfee?

What evidence is there that he will be the same??

Do you see a similar running style?? similar circumstances with the OL?? Enlighten us. At least people rooting for him have some evidence to boast there case.

I would like to remind you all of a guy named Fred McAfee who took over for an injured Dalton Hilliard, Gil Fenerty and Ironhead during the 1991 run to the NFC West division title. He finished the season as the teams leading rusher averaging 4.5 yards per carry. He did not have the great one game performance that PT did against the Bears but he was a very solid RB for a stretch of games in a division title season. Fred's career stats continued to declien from there until he became a career special teams player.

Can you name Pierre's backup in college last year?

Thats right, it was Mendenhall. The same guy people are going bananas over in this years draft. If Pierre could outperform him in college then why are you not giving him the benefit of the doubt even after he has had a monster game against a good defense?

well since you quoted me and started the thread i feel the need to add to it.

the reason McAfee never did anything is cause he was nothing but a ST, PT was an all Big Ten RB and rushed for over 1000 yards 2 years at Illinois. McAfee never rushed for 1000 yards at any level.

PT is already better than Stecker and will get more play at RB this year than Steck. then after that lets make an assumption to how PT will fair as a NFL RB.

Maybe just their names to start? I've got another name for you, not a saint, but a 7th rounder...Terrell Davis! Ability is ability, and this guy has it, why does the glass have to be half empty when talking about PT? We draft and pick up "duds" every year with this team, why would giving PT a full year to prove himself be any different? Why does Jason David,Mark Simoneau,etc., warrant a starting spot and PT doesn't,he's at least flashed positives when given his opportunities.

Because watching Thomas, he seems to just have it. Every chance he was given, he performed. He forced us cut a 4th round pick for him.

I hate this stuff. McAfee has nothing to do with Pierre. They're mutually exclusive situations. There's no one way or the other. There's a million shades of gray that can occur with PT.

We'll see whether or not he is for real in due time. In the meantime, what does everyone have against hope? Sometimes it seems like optimism is a violation of the TOS here.

:plus-un2:

1 star thread.

Because watching Thomas, he seems to just have it. Every chance he was given, he performed. He forced us cut a 4th round pick for him.

This is too true and I'm atop the Reggie Bush bandwagon. PT deserves a legitimate shot at playing Deuce's role from the past two years. I think we do have room to draft a bruiser though.....

So what would you like? Who should be our workhorse?

i think you are all missing the point.....PT is still unproven in the NFL.....hey, i am pulling for him to be what everyone has already annointed him to be....we will just have to wait and see

Ask the Reggie Bush haters on here that question....the people that support Reggie also support PT...the people who don't support Reggie overate PT's value and think only one can shine.....I think its quite optomistic to think Pierre is gonna come in and repeat the same performance game in and game out and the moment he falters those PT lovers will be back on Reggie jock...he's something new....a player you havent seen fall down yet, so the sky is the limit for this kid...we've seen reggie fall so lets focus our attention on "new" hope for this franchise.

I just want to chime back in here and comment on how much sense it would make for the Saints to draft Jacob Hester! I know all of you "homer haters" have stopped reading this by now, but it just would make a ton of sense! Hester is a tough inside runner, has very solid hands, and can provide depth at both RB and FB!

and you cant see that Reggie Bush "has it" when he plays? he comes through in the clutch, almost jordan-esch, and like CHITOWNSAINT said, I'm a big supporter of Reggie Bush, but I'm just as big of a supporter of Pierre, I have nothing bad to say about the guy, its the wedge that PT supporters build between Reggie and Pierre that I dont agree with...Reggie isnt holding Pierre back.

Ask the Reggie Bush haters on here that question....the people that support Reggie also support PT...the people who don't support Reggie overate PT's value and think only one can shine.....I think its quite optomistic to think Pierre is gonna come in and repeat the same performance game in and game out and the moment he falters those PT lovers will be back on Reggie jock...he's something new....a player you havent seen fall down yet, so the sky is the limit for this kid...we've seen reggie fall so lets focus our attention on "new" hope for this franchise.

I'm not bashing Reggie. I hope and believe that Reggie will have a great season. But that doesn't preclude me from feeling the same about Pierre. And I know that PT is unproven. I don't care. I still believe.

I root for whoever wears a Saints jersey.

You know what? Jason David's gonna have a great season too.

I just don't understand what the obsession with pessimism is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom