For real this time (Al Copeland dies in Munich, Germany) {merged} (2 Viewers)

I lived in the New Orleans area my whole life, and the only time I got to talk to him was when I was in Destin a few years ago wearing a Baron Davis(ugh...) jersey and he said he loved the Hornets and I talked to him for a little bit. Cool Guy.

RIP.

One of the best businessmen ever. I mean he sold his car to open a doughnut shop. Ran the shop for a few years, then bought a KFC. Ran the KFC. Opened up a chicken chain that nearly failed until he started using Louisiana spices to cook the Chicken and renamed it Popeye's and made millions. And he wasn't a snobby rich man, he loved to spend his money and show off, sure, but he never lost his roots.

again, RIP.

Read about it last night, it's sad i liked the guy a lot, was the coolest rich dude in New Orleans, no one else like him around, he will be missed, i grew up seeing his elaborate decorations and speed boats during mardi gras, and eating tons of fried chicken, beans and rice and biscuits.

Im also sad to hear the Popeyes Resturants is owned by a company in Atlanta called AFCE..

AFC Enterprises, Inc. They also own Kentucky fried chicken and Taco bell and had acquired Churches through Al copeland when he bought them out and then went bankrupt.

I ran in to him while waiting to use the courtyard restroom at Charter House Café during French Quarter Fest last year. Let’s just say that he wasn’t exactly sober (but neither was anybody else). Nice guy.

That wasn't too long before he found out he was sick. I guess it's like Kansas said in the song Dust in the Wind, "It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy." At least he did things his way while he had the chance. I bet if you asked him, he wouldn’t have changed a thing.

He stole the Popeye's brand name, he was a thief, no loss here.

Gee, I don't know how to respond to this non-sense without receiving an infraction.

Talk about a total lack of respect........

You should have said nothing.

Joe

"With Mr. Copeland that night was Jennifer Devall Copeland, his fourth wife. They had gone to the restaurant to celebrate their first anniversary.

According to papers filed last year, when she and Mr. Copeland were divorced, his net worth in 2004 was about $319 million and his annual income was about $13 million. "

I knew it. I went to high school with her. I'm 33.

RIP Al

Gee, I don't know how to respond to this non-sense without receiving an infraction.

Talk about a total lack of respect........

You should have said nothing.

Joe

Agreed, While I do have more negative things to say about him than positive (I worked for him for a good while, opened up the Vet's CC Bistro, and worked at some of his private throw-downs at his & Al Jr's houses), now is a good time to hold the negatives to MYSELF. The man does a a huge family, some I know personally, and others like Al Jr. that has never showed anything to me but the utmost respect, so for me to even talk about Al's misgivings right now would be disrespecting his entire family because this should be a time for them to mourn their great loss.

R.I.P Al, your limo is waiting for you upstairs!

Last edited:
That is correct SoonerJim. The name was taken from "Popeye" Doyle. He also never used the cartoon Popeye until years later when he started racing boats and he licensed the use from King Syndicate and Paramount. He may have rubbed some people the wrong way and he may not have been liked by some, but to say (as rlemieux did) that he stole the name is ridiculous and shows a lack of education on his part. He was one of the smartest business minded people around (except for the Church's fiasco), but everyone makes mistakes.

LMAO - "smartest businessman, except for that running a $300 million company into bankruptcy" part. :covri:

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

R.I.P.
Thanks for all your contributions to New Orleans Mr. Copeland.

Diversified foods (Copeland's) gave my freelance business a good bit of work when my wife & I were getting the business off the ground. Though those business decisions were made by people other than Al, he was always at the end of the chain of approvals and also the guy who signed off on our prices. I've met Al Jr several times and the guy was always classy & respectful. My thoughts & prayers go out to his family.
R.I.P. Big Al

LMAO - "smartest businessman, except for that running a $300 million company into bankruptcy" part. :covri:

I had a whole page written out in response to this, but decided not to lower myself. If one mistake to you equals failure then so be it. I guess all the successful businessmen with a less than 100% success rate are failures in your eyes. Whatever....:idunno:

i had popeye's for lunch today :9:

i have heard that copeland still owned that popeye's on transcontinental near w. esplanade.....does anyone know if that's true????

it's probably teh best popeye's in the area and it's a 3 minute drive from his house:shrug:

that was my old local Popeyes when I lived in Metairie.

Now I have two in Huntsville, one about a mile from my office and the other about 2 miles from home ;)

I had my wings for lunch. Thanks Al.

Good meeting you, and its been a pleasure eating at Popeyes and Copelands all these years.

funny story ...i had an economics class with Al jr....the professor was from England. ( around 92-93 ) One day the professor goes into detail how the whole Popeye's / Churches Chicken deal was a fiasco. Said it was a "lame-brain " CEO move and any businessman worth his salt (paraphrasing of course, but was really laying into Al Copeland ) would have walked away from the deal. Al jr got up and left the classroom. No foul words, not a peep. Then one of the classmates pointed out to the instructor that was "al jr"....white as a ghost. If it were me, i would have let him have it then leave. Jr. didnt and while I wasnt too impressed at the time, it was pretty stand-up on his part to just leave without a verbal sparring match.

He had to make it a 300 million dollar business first, didn't he?

Also, he negotiated what had to be the sweetest business bankruptcy deal in history by giving up the chicken franchises but keeping the spice and supply company that the stores were obligated to buy from. No more expenses (for the most part), just pure profit.

He didn't bat a thousand but he seemed like a pretty smart businessman to me. :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom