For real this time (Al Copeland dies in Munich, Germany) {merged} (1 Viewer)

I should try to find a Popeye's here for dinner. RIP

funny story ...i had an economics class with Al jr....the professor was from England. ( around 92-93 ) One day the professor goes into detail how the whole Popeye's / Churches Chicken deal was a fiasco. Said it was a "lame-brain " CEO move and any businessman worth his salt (paraphrasing of course, but was really laying into Al Copeland ) would have walked away from the deal. Al jr got up and left the classroom. No foul words, not a peep. Then one of the classmates pointed out to the instructor that was "al jr"....white as a ghost. If it were me, i would have let him have it then leave. Jr. didnt and while I wasnt too impressed at the time, it was pretty stand-up on his part to just leave without a verbal sparring match.

Didn't the professor ever look at the roster of who was in the class? What was Al, Jr., going to say? Sounds like the deal *was* a fiasco.

He had to make it a 300 million dollar business first, didn't he?

Also, he negotiated what had to be the sweetest business bankruptcy deal in history by giving up the chicken franchises but keeping the spice and supply company that the stores were obligated to buy from. No more expenses (for the most part), just pure profit.

He didn't bat a thousand but he seemed like a pretty smart businessman to me. :shrug:

Oh, he definitely made a lot of smart moves - yes, including building a $300 million business, and especially the deal keeping the spice company. But bankrupting a $300 million company isn't just 1 bad decision. Lots of bad decisions go into that kind of fall. Throwing good money after bad is a series of bad decisions. Especially when every single advisor was saying it was a bad decision from the start.

All that aside, he was a local icon and a great benefit to the New Orleans community and culture - the kind that only come along once in a lifetime.

Last edited:
Oh, he definitely made a lot of smart moves - yes, including building a $300 million business, and especially the deal keeping the spice company. But bankrupting a $300 million company isn't just 1 bad decision. Lots of bad decisions go into that kind of fall. Throwing good money after bad is a series of bad decisions. Especially when every single advisor was saying it was a bad decision from the start.

You are absolutely correct, but as they say hindsight is 20/20.

All of his ventures were from "bad ideas". He was told it was a bad idea to drop out of high school (maybe, maybe not), but he had a plan and was determined. He was told it was a bad idea to buy his brother's donut shop, but he did it and made it a success. He was told it was a bad idea to open a chicken place when KFC had just moved in, but he did it anyway and made it a success. He was told it was a bad idea to sell spicy chicken, but he did it anyway and what a decision that was. He was told it was a bad idea to get into boating because he could lose it all, he did it anyway and won everything there was. I could go on and on, but you are only interested in his one failure, which by the way he stayed depressed about it until yesterday. Do you think maybe, after being told time after time that everything he did was a "bad Idea", but yet turned out good, he thought this would be the same? Afterall, here was a man who had every "bad idea" turn to gold, what was the worry? He made a mistake (yes, it cost a lot of people), but he learned from it and IMO came out a better person. Afterall he was still worth over $300 million and had an annual salary of over $13 million. He had to be doing something right.

If I remember right, he went bankrupt with $39 million and the spice company, Copeland's, and a couple of other businesses.

he was great for the City and my stomach.

When I was in high school we went to Destin for Labor Day and were walking the beach late at night. We stumble upon these two drunk girls yelling from one of the lifeguard stands. Who walks out of the shadows? None other than Big Al himself. We introduced ourselves and unanimously acknowledged that he had the firmest handshake ever.

R.I.P Al- long live Popeyes and the Christmas lights.

1425 Florida Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70802-4637 (225)346-1682 0.87 miles View Coupon
3777 Choctaw Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70805-8333 (225)357-3600 2.63 miles View Coupon
5275 Government Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70806-6027 225.929.7098 3.05 miles View Coupon
290 Lobdell Hwy
Port Allen, LA 70767-4198 (225)346-1884 3.48 miles View Coupon
7930 Jefferson Highway
Baton Rouge, LA 70809 (225)924-0191 4.98 miles View Coupon
5946 Airline Hwy
Baton Rouge, LA 70805-3201 (225)355-4441 5.18 miles View Coupon
8372 Scotland Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70807 (225)775-2601 5.54 miles View Coupon
2137 Staring Ln
Baton Rouge, LA 70810-1038 (225)766-1700 5.71 miles

Use Google and do your duty ;)

From the article above

"She called the cumulative effect of Mr. Copeland’s metallic palm trees, golden statues of panthers and neon lights “a monstrosity.” He countered that he would put a little more garlic in the food at the restaurant to fend off vampires."

LOL!!!

From the article above

"She called the cumulative effect of Mr. Copeland’s metallic palm trees, golden statues of panthers and neon lights “a monstrosity.” He countered that he would put a little more garlic in the food at the restaurant to fend off vampires."

LOL!!!

All together now:...................... ONLY in New Orleans. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom