For real this time (Al Copeland dies in Munich, Germany) {merged} (1 Viewer)

Wow, the passing of a local legend. He will be missed. So young too. But it looks like he enjoyed every minute of it.

My first tax-paying job was at Popeye's in Laplace. Fill-a-baggers unite!

I worked at Copelands Restaurant as a bartender fulltime for 6 yrs then another 5 yrs partime.
I've met the man on numerous occasions, and he was always pretty cool.

Love That Chicken from Popeyes!

R.I.P. Al

New Orleans just lost a true original. Say what you want about A.C., but it was really cool of him to put up that Christmas display every year that a lot of us grew up with. He will live on through his chicken. Godspeed.

He was a unique character and will be known as the greatest Hornets fan in New Orleans, as well as the Father of our Popeyes Chicken. In his final years, he was the "Jack Nicholson," of the New Orleans Hornets. He was always on the sidelines. RIP, Al Copeland. I'll always eat your spicy chicken, which is cooked in crab boil. Sad to see him leave us at such an early age.

This morning on ABC's "This Week", George Will lamented the Democratic hyperbole on the economy, asking whether people were eating cold Popeye's for breakfast. I can think of nothing tastier than spicy chicken breasts cooled overnight. Some people lead really empty lives.

RIP; my shuttered arteries salute an original

He was a unique character and will be known as the greatest Hornets fan in New Orleans, as well as the Father of our Popeyes Chicken. In his final years, he was the "Jack Nicholson," of the New Orleans Hornets. He was always on the sidelines. RIP, Al Copeland. I'll always eat your spicy chicken, which is cooked in crab boil. Sad to see him leave us at such an early age.

I don't remember any crab boil.

Since this happened many years ago I guess its okay to ask, but I heard that sometimes Copeland liked to have Christmas services and prayers on public land during the annual season and the ACLU did not like it, in fact tried to prevent him from doing it and raised the specter of lawsuits to stop him. Many people in this area were angry at the ACLU for doing so and had some pretty nasty words for them or did not like them busy bodying around.

Is that story true? My folks told me about it and what I got from it was a negative view of the ACLU. I appreciate them on principle because of their work for civil liberties and for minorities, but I think on this case Copeland was angry and so were a lot of other people because the ACLU put their noses into a minor affair and made a big deal out of it like some people say they do sometimes.
Just wanted some feedback, Mr. Copeland really put up the work required to make himself a success and he did become that. RIP Mr. Copeland for a life lived well done

Last edited:
What a great American success story. Here's a guy who was raised in a housing project, never went to college, and yet by sheer determination and rugged individualism, he became a raging success.

Rest in peace, Al.

PS Why "for real this time"? Was there a "Paul is dead" fiasco somewhere along the way?

Pop-eye's king Al Copeland passed away today..... :(

Pop-eye's king Al Copeland passed away today..... :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom