For the business analysts down here - a look at 2007. (1 Viewer)

Forest

Banned
Reaction score
Hardware Sales

System December 2007 Annual 2007

PlayStation 2 1.1 million 3.97 million
PlayStation 3 797.6 K 2.56 million
PlayStation Portable 1.06 million 3.82 million
Xbox 360 1.26 million 4.62 million
Wii 1.35 million 6.29 million
Nintendo DS 2.47 million 8.50 million

My Notes (although I dont game anymore, I still like to analyze the industry):

Does anyone not have a PS2? I'm constantly amazed it keeps selling. As much as I don't like Sony, I commend them for supporting the PS2 as long as they have.

I made a bet with someone in 2006 about the sales of Wii and PS3 on this board. I won that bet, he lost the bet. Does anyone remember who it was or what the terms were? ha

The Nintendo DS is just sick and will continue to sell very, very well.

PSP is great competition to the DS and is now a worthy contender and will also sell very well.

The PS3 is not great competition to anyone and was never a worthy contender. That said, I bought one for the BluRay player.

The XBox 360 is still over-priced, but still sells well. Time for a price cut, though Microsoft, either that or throw in a wireless adapter with the systems. That said, it will sell well.

The Wii needs better games in 2008 to maintain is pace. Too many rushed game from cheap developers trying to make a buck. Without some serious efforts by developers outside of Nintendo, I am not sure Wii will dominate the competition in 2008, athough, it will be still lead the pack, especially in the first half of the year as people are still trying to get one for the first time.

You guys are still crazy!

Oh, I was joking about buying a PS3 = )

Last edited:
:sbob: :elefant: :rogpen: :penguin2: :chickend: :snoopy2: :piano: :realsmpickle:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NAhR1N5oJNA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NAhR1N5oJNA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If Nintendo had made enough Wii's that 6.29 number would probably be more like 9.5 or so. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find one right now anywhere without camping outside a Best Buy or something.

If Nintendo had made enough Wii's that 6.29 number would probably be more like 9.5 or so. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find one right now anywhere without camping outside a Best Buy or something.

For sure. Every kid and their momma wants one of those. It's a cool thing to have when you're young. I remember I when I got my Nintendo around 5 years old. I loved that thing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NAhR1N5oJNA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NAhR1N5oJNA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That dude is crazy!

:smilielol:

That guy doesn't have a clue about women. He only knows what magazines teach him, but then again he doesn't have time cause he is a gamer.

I think that PSP sales are going well for three reasons. First the price cut. Second, the UMV movie format is being sported with several new releases (notice that Sony doesn't mide having mulitple formats as long as both formats are owned by Sony) and the fact that in a lot places, Wii's and DS's are sold out. So instead not getting your kid anything, i think a lot of people picked them up PSP because that was the only thing out to give for xMass.

I got tired of waiting for my 360 to get back from Texas, so I used a bunch of gift cards from xMass and picked up a xbox 360 Arcade. I got tried of not being able to play rock band and COD4. Havn't tried using the HDMI port yet, i'm not in a hurry because my Vizio only support 1080i and 720p anyways. The new 360 is a lot quiter than my original one.

Is it just me, or is the Wii in reality just not a really interesting gamming machine? I just can't get into it that much. Yeh its fun to play carnival games and wii sports with the kids, but it just hasn't captured my interest the way the games on the 360 have.

Still, the Sales of the Wii show just how small the "hardcore gammer" maket really is. and the ps3 model BluRay player being marketed to movie industry, i'm starting to wonder if the existence of the dedicated video game machine might be coming to an end.

Still, the Sales of the Wii show just how small the "hardcore gammer" maket really is. and the ps3 model BluRay player being marketed to movie industry, i'm starting to wonder if the existence of the dedicated video game machine might be coming to an end.

so, you would prefer to have multiple components for your entertainment over having it all in one machine???

it was me but i dont remember the terms...
i do remember that it entailed US sales, but i wouldnt even desire a search. its obvious wii stomped the PS3...
i dont run away from my obligations...

Last edited:
so, you would prefer to have multiple components for your entertainment over having it all in one machine???

Yeah, I think the future consoles will be a full media experience as opposed to having a stand along gaming system. I'm all for it too. I am glad that M$ supported HD-DVD only to the extent of an add-on drive....this means that with the impending death of the format my 360 will still get supported to the fullest. *until the Xbox 720 comes out that is:9:

Meanwhile....MGS needs to hurry up and get here....I get tired of my fiance asking me why I bought a PS3 if I'm never going to play it.

She doesn't get that whole "gotta have everything new, regardless of need." illness I have!:covri:

depends. I"m not a fan of all in one if it locks into propreitary formats and software. I'd perfer something more open source like. For example, for a long time i would not buy an iPod, because i didn't want to tied down to purchases from the itunes store. It wasn't untill i got software that allowed me to convert any video format to mp4 to play on an iPod that i finally bought one.

As a comsumer, i perfer to make my own choices. If i want to play movies on BluRay and games on the Wii i wouldn't mind buying two different box units to do that. When you locked into a majic box that does it all, you no longer have choice as a consumer.

For sure. Every kid and their momma wants one of those. It's a cool thing to have when you're young. I remember I when I got my Nintendo around 5 years old. I loved that thing.

LTL

When the PS2 dominated, it was because it had "adult-themed" games and not a bunch of kiddy stuff and the people with the money were buying all the games, thus they went with Sony. Gamecube was for kids only, so it finished last since the kids had no money and had to depend on parents, etc

Now, Wii is dominating and suddenly it's because it's cool to have when you're young.

Yeah, LTL baby, LTL - LOVE THE LOGIC!

The Wii's dominance is not due to kids, or their mommas. It's due to one of the most brilliant marketing campaigns in the history of the world, period, and of course, they followed the blue ocean strategy perfectly. How to create uncontested marketspace and make the competition irrelevant. Great book, by the way.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom