For the win, 4th and 2 off a timeout (1 Viewer)

syracuse saint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if there is a thread on this topic. If so, moderators please delete this one.

First and foremost, all I asked for is an evenly called game by the refs and, generally speaking, calls seemed to go both ways and there was a couple missed on both sides. The refs let two teams play football. The better team won yesterday. Also, there were some really positive things from the game that make me feel better about the offense and most of the players played smarter football.

I am going to break my own rule of waiting 24 hours to post after a loss. To me, this was such an egregious coaching blunder that I feel compelled to vent a little. How on earth does DA put 22 in single coverage on Kittle with 4th and 2 yards with the entire game on the line? Everyone in the stadium, except for DA, knew where the play was going and he puts a rookie in single coverage on Kittle. Unbelievable and inexcusable.

As a side note, Marcus Williams is horrible in a defensive scheme where he has to play assignment defense. Unless he is a free safety in the literal sense of the word, he is a liability. A second side note...how many times did we see Eli Apple get beat on the same exact in route in yesterday's game? That probably was supposed to get some safety help, but maybe someone can clarify on what went wrong on that same exact play. SF went to that play every time they needed a first down.

Last edited:
I was surprised to se 22 on Kittle in single trail coverage, especially with him getting called for so many penalties leading up to that. He should have at least been bracketed so the play could have been broken up.

I think they were worried about Apple too much.

I think they were worried about Apple too much.
In the immortal words of Sean Payton from XLIV, "Don't let their best player beat us!" (Interestingly enough, another TE, Dallas Clark.)

We let their best player beat us.

ETA: And we didn't have to take any help away from Apple to bracket Kittle. Could have used a linebacker or even Marcus friggin Williams. He's definitely much better playing the ball in the air than he is tackling anyone.

And while Gould has been an exceptionally accurate kicker in his career, he's not known for having a Lutz/Tucker/Zeuerlein leg and he's pretty old now.

I think we blitzed as well. Everyone hates prevent, but there’s just no reason not to just rush 4 there. Even if they get in FG range, it’s gonna be a long one.

And while Gould has been an exceptionally accurate kicker in his career, he's not known for having a Lutz/Tucker/Zeuerlein leg and he's pretty old now.

Yep. I think they said his range is like 46 yards.

You have to take Kittle out of that play in that situation. If they beat you then they beat you but don't let their best player beat you.

Agreed but I think had they done that Sanders or heck any other player would have been open.

Must we forget, that once again, on the same play, Williams was so flagrant on the face mask penalty, it allowed the Niners to get inside the 20 with the additional 15 penalty yards. Marcus Williams is a loser!

I think at that point either he holds on to the face mask to force a FG try or Kittle scores... ?‍♂️

Should have never been in that situation.

I think at that point either he holds on to the face mask to force a FG try or Kittle scores... ?‍♂️

Should have never been in that situation.

Agreed that the play shouldn’t have even reached him...but he could have simply pushed Kittle out of bounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom