For the win, 4th and 2 off a timeout (1 Viewer)

I'm not super upset with the coverage. The player has to at least make the tackle there, even if he gives up the catch. Learning experience for a young guy.

Meh, I get what you are saying but we said the same thing about Marcus Williams after the Minny Miracle and he makes another boneheaded play two years later. We need better situational coaching on the defensive side in my opinion to keep these stupid things from happening year after year.

I wish the TO hadn’t come in. We had jimmy as someone (can’t remember who) crashed the RG and just bulldozed him back into Jimmy. He’d have been sacked imo or hurried into a bad throw.

Last week when they closed out Atlanta with a pressure sack on the last play, no one complained. Not disagreeing that the game left a lot to be desired with our defensive effort. With that said, the Niners had a great game plan with misdirection plays as well as several trick plays to slow our pass rush/pressure packages down. Those types of things will make the defenders play a split second off. What is sad is that if the timeout had not been called, the pressure blitz would have gotten to Jimmy g. on the play and the game would have been over. So goes the game of football. It is truly a game of inches, what ifs, and would of could of should ofs.

Last edited:
Yes.
And Kittle said himself after the game that “the guy they had guarding me did a great job on me all game, but I got him at the end.”
He also praised the dome and environment.

Even though he may have played him well all game. In the 4th and2 situation to win the game you don’t leave their best player 1 on 1. You have to make someone else beat you.

I still think we take them in the playoffs though.

I wish the TO hadn’t come in. We had jimmy as someone (can’t remember who) crashed the RG and just bulldozed him back into Jimmy. He’d have been sacked imo or hurried into a bad throw.

I just read this. It won't make you feel better Hump. Oh so close...

Shanahan told reporters on Monday as he started to explain what happened on that play. "I've been in that stadium a lot, but it was louder than usual to me. You never can hear at the line, but it was very hard for him to hear in the huddle. That's why we had to call a timeout on that 4th-and-2.

"I called a play that had '14' in it, but it sounded a heck of a lot like '15.' ... You just couldn't hear it. So that stuff was happening a lot, and for him to just still keep his poise, and try to fix things a lot in the game, he kept our guys pretty cool the whole time."

Shanahan confirmed that the difference between '14' and '15' in the play call could have led to an offensive disaster.

"Wrist band No. 15 is a lot different than wrist band No. 14," Shanahan explained. "And you don't really know until they line up there, and it's a pretty big time in the game, and you're also trying to save your timeouts, too. ... I didn't know exactly what [Garoppolo] missed because I didn't know what '15' looked like at the time, but I knew it didn't look like '14' when they lined up.

"Fortunately, we had a timeout, and we [used] it. And then, fortunately, the next play was a good play."

I just read this. It won't make you feel better Hump. Oh so close...

Shanahan told reporters on Monday as he started to explain what happened on that play. "I've been in that stadium a lot, but it was louder than usual to me. You never can hear at the line, but it was very hard for him to hear in the huddle. That's why we had to call a timeout on that 4th-and-2.

"I called a play that had '14' in it, but it sounded a heck of a lot like '15.' ... You just couldn't hear it. So that stuff was happening a lot, and for him to just still keep his poise, and try to fix things a lot in the game, he kept our guys pretty cool the whole time."

Shanahan confirmed that the difference between '14' and '15' in the play call could have led to an offensive disaster.

"Wrist band No. 15 is a lot different than wrist band No. 14," Shanahan explained. "And you don't really know until they line up there, and it's a pretty big time in the game, and you're also trying to save your timeouts, too. ... I didn't know exactly what [Garoppolo] missed because I didn't know what '15' looked like at the time, but I knew it didn't look like '14' when they lined up.

"Fortunately, we had a timeout, and we [used] it. And then, fortunately, the next play was a good play."

Lol. Nope def doesn’t make me feel better. And that’s also my worry on playing them again.

In spite of ALL of that amazing disconcerting noise, they STILL put up 48.

Even though he may have played him well all game. In the 4th and2 situation to win the game you don’t leave their best player 1 on 1. You have to make someone else beat you.

I still think we take them in the playoffs though.
So who do you put on him in a stacked formation?

And while Gould has been an exceptionally accurate kicker in his career, he's not known for having a Lutz/Tucker/Zeuerlein leg and he's pretty old now.
I'm surprised that no one mentioned how close Davenport came to blocking the game-winning field goal after he jumped over the line. If his outstretched hand was about a foot or so to the right, he gets a piece of that football which could have saved the game.

Yes, the game was truly that close.

The problem with DA is he tried to win the game on that 4&2 play, which was stupid. SF had just burned a timeout which was awesome for us. They had one left which they would HAVE to use after the conversion. As a Def coordinator you have to know SF is just about 100% of the time just trying to convert the 1st down there.

Keep it in front of you, let them have the underneath route, make the tackle, and force the timeout. Then there's 30 seconds left, no timeouts and about 30 yards to go. If they get the FG them God bless.

Blitzing and going for the win there when they've been quick releasing the short routes all game was just awful.

With that being said, we had a man in him, and he failed to make the play.

For all the smack CGJ talks, including the play just before that one; he has to make that tackle.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned how close Davenport came to blocking the game-winning field goal after he jumped over the line. If his outstretched hand was about a foot or so to the right, he gets a piece of that football which could have saved the game.

Yes, the game was truly that close.

I did. Lol
I even made a thread about it.

So who do you put on him in a stacked formation?

If it were me I would have bracketed him. One guy would have been responsible for inside move (unlikely) and another waiting to jump the out route. Would have put money on the out route because if time/distance/and field position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom