For those complaining about giving up all our late round picks (1 Viewer)

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Here is who we drafted in rounds 5 or later over the last 5 years:

Saquan Hampton
Alize Mack
Kaden Ellis

Natrell Jamerson
Kamrin Moore
Boston Scott
Will Clapp

2017:
Al-Quadin Muhammad

2016:
Daniel Lasco

2015:
Davis Tull
Tyeler Davison
Damian Swann
Marcus Murphy

Of those players, I think only Swann ever got meaningful playing time outside of maybe special teams.

Saquan Hampton
Alize Mack
Kaden Ellis

Natrell Jamerson
Kamrin Moore
Boston Scott
Will Clapp

2017:
Al-Quadin Muhammad

2016:
Daniel Lasco

2015:
Davis Tull
Tyeler Davison
Damian Swann
Marcus Murphy

Of those players, I think only Swann ever got meaningful playing time outside of maybe special teams.
You're forgetting Ueler Davison, who was very crucial to our interior DL.

Saquan Hampton
Alize Mack
Kaden Ellis

Natrell Jamerson
Kamrin Moore
Boston Scott
Will Clapp

2017:
Al-Quadin Muhammad

2016:
Daniel Lasco

2015:
Davis Tull
Tyeler Davison
Damian Swann
Marcus Murphy

Will Clapp started three games for us last year and was the sixth OL power guy in a bunch more. Tyeler Davison started for three years and got a FA contract with Atlanta. Muhammed started four games for Indy last year, and Boston Scott averaged 4.0 YPC for the Eagles late in the season. Elliss and Hampton are still with us. Jamerson and Mack are still bouncing around the league.

What I am sure we are banking on right now is that given these odd circumstances, more guys that we might have liked in rounds 5-7 than usual will slip all the way through and be UDFA (e.g., Shy Tuttle), so this was the year to pull the trigger on Trautman.

Bottom line, this roster is very talented and only a few players were likely to make the team. So, why not focus on quality as opposed to quantity.

Will Clapp started three games for us last year and was the sixth OL power guy in a bunch more. Tyeler Davison started for three years and got a FA contract with Atlanta. Muhammed started four games for Indy last year, and Boston Scott averaged 4.0 YPC for the Eagles late in the season. Elliss and Hampton are still with us. Jamerson and Mack are still bouncing around the league.

What I am sure we are banking on right now is that given these odd circumstances, more guys that we might have liked in rounds 5-7 than usual will slip all the way through and be UDFA (e.g., Shy Tuttle), so this was the year to pull the trigger on Trautman.

I like having the late round lottery picks and I'm not in love with trading them all away this year. But, for every guy that makes the team, there are 3 or 4 who don't. Even in your example above, at least 4 of those guys are just going to bounce around the league and be "a guy" in the last 5 spots on a roster some place and most of the guys who made our roster are just guys that we want to upgrade. That's certainly the case with Clapp and probably the case with Hampton. And those are the relatively successful ones. Many guys taken in those rounds are selling cars to trade on their college fame. And I'm not sure that some of those guys don't get the benefit of the doubt and stay on some rosters just because they were draft picks with some resources invested in them.

But, I do agree that part of what is going on this year is that they preferred quality over quantity in a year with no off season program and that they figure a lot of guys from small schools or who were backups at big schools will fall through the cracks in UDFA. So, the UDFAs probably have just as good of a chance of making the team as most of the guys who will be taken in rounds 4 to 7.

We got three guys who all look like they could contribute significantly this season, so I can't complain. I also think Payton doesn't believe a lot of late round drift picks will be able to stick b/c there will be no rookie minicamps or OTAs to develop them. So, I think trading away all of our late picks to get a guy in Trautman who should see significant playing time this season due to his ability to block and play in line (unlike Cook) was an intentional strategy, not an impulse buy, so to speak.

Two spots that had the need we got.
1 Spot we built up the line.

The battle is won in the trenches.

REALLY good draft for Saints value at EVERY pick.

For reference, here are some UDFA who have made the roster over the last 4 years...

PK Will Lutz
CB Ken Crowley

QB Taysom Hill
OG/C Cameron Tom
DB Justin Hardee

WR Keith Kirkwood
DT Taylor Stallworth
S J.T. Gray

DT Shy Tuttle
KR/WR Deonte Harris
DE Carl Granderson
OT Ethan Greenidge

We’ve done a good job in the UDFA market. I’m sure there will be more this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom