For those of us who have never known a Saints team without a HOF QB under center... (1 Viewer)

Brooks had pretty good arm talent, but had 1 throw: A laser bullet.

Man had no touch at all. Many times he could just lob it over the LB's into the open spot, but no, he had to drill it, and try to get it past the LB. When it worked, it was impressive, when it worked...
We didn't get as many RAC yards because the receiver often had to lay out or go down to catch those bullets.

Brooks and Hebert aren’t where you point to when you talk about a legacy of truly bad Saints quarterbacking. The Billy Joes. Wuerffel. Dave Wilson. A washed up Stabler, and an ever deeper dive into a carousel of used-to-bes and never-weres. At least Brooks and Hebert had some success, limited as that was.

Brees is on a whole different level from most other QBs to ever play in the NFL, so certainly no other Saints QB deserves to be mentioned in the same breath. But still, it gets much worse than the two you mentioned. Much.

John Forcade! :giggle:

...what's it like?

Watching Aaron Brooks was a lot of fun. It could be frustrating at times, but a lot of that was scheme and coaching, as Haslett was never up to par as an NFL head coach. And he was far too loyal to his assistants who ran some very questionable schemes, particularly on offense.

Coming on this board and seeing a bunch of hot takes on Jake Delhomme and Aaron Brooks was excruciating. The front page was just a constant pile-up of terrible opinions on our QB situation, and very lightly veiled racially-driven posts.

It certainly wasn't as much fun as watching a hall-of-famer in his prime like we were treated to with Drew, but it didn't suck, especially given that the team was usually around .500 and flirted with/made the playoffs a few times. However the defense on those teams was probably better than what we have now, especially from around 1999-2002. And both Brooks and Delhomme were better than what we've seen out of Bridgewater (so far). I don't think Teddy or Taysom are anywhere near the players that either of them were.

There were some major culture issues under Haslett which manifested in some really weird ways. The team would play below expectations about 75% of the time, then randomly unite and play really well in the last 3 games of the season to get us to 8-8, no playoffs, and a lower draft pick. I doubt we'll see that under Payton, he's a much, much better coach and leader than Haslett was.

Bobby Hebert was awful, as was pretty much every QB before Jeff Blake** (the big free agent we signed who got hurt his first year and lost his job to Brooks).

** Never saw Archie play, so can't really offer much opinion there.

Watching Aaron Brooks was a lot of fun. It could be frustrating at times, but a lot of that was scheme and coaching, as Haslett was never up to par as an NFL head coach. And he was far too loyal to his assistants who ran some very questionable schemes, particularly on offense.

Coming on this board and seeing a bunch of hot takes on Jake Delhomme and Aaron Brooks was excruciating. The front page was just a constant pile-up of terrible opinions on our QB situation, and very lightly veiled racially-driven posts.

It certainly wasn't as much fun as watching a hall-of-famer in his prime like we were treated to with Drew, but it didn't suck, especially given that the team was usually around .500 and flirted with/made the playoffs a few times. However the defense on those teams was probably better than what we have now, especially from around 1999-2002. And both Brooks and Delhomme were better than what we've seen out of Bridgewater (so far). I don't think Teddy or Taysom are anywhere near the players that either of them were.

There were some major culture issues under Haslett which manifested in some really weird ways. The team would play below expectations about 75% of the time, then randomly unite and play really well in the last 3 games of the season to get us to 8-8, no playoffs, and a lower draft pick. I doubt we'll see that under Payton, he's a much, much better coach and leader than Haslett was.

Bobby Hebert was awful, as was pretty much every QB before Jeff Blake** (the big free agent we signed who got hurt his first year and lost his job to Brooks).

Hey man your team gave L.S.U one he'll of a fight. Good game reminded me of the U.S.C vs Texas game for the B.C.S Championship

Oh

Oh yeah I forgot beat the snot out of Oklahoma. I don't care much for those Dust eating Yankees.

Life without Brees is going to bad, and good, and awful. It's going to be a roller coaster except this roller coaster mostly just rides along the ground before abruptly skyrocketing and then coming back down.

The Billy Joe's, Danny weurful. About my cut off. I signed on in the Ditka days. It sucked. Dont wanna go back

Last edited:
I thought about this yesterday afternoon. Plain and simple, imagine winning a game is like going to the playoffs. That’s your analogy. When we’d win a game, it was a PARTY.

Last edited:
Brooks was Cam Newton who could pass better but wasn’t as athletic. Brooks was not a very good leader and would smile when he made mistakes. This would piss everyone off. He’s got the famous reverse throw and had to be put in leadership classes to learn how to be a leader as a QB

Obviously, most on here talk about Brooks like he was the most garbage qb to ever take a snap in the NFL, but the way I remember it is he was just wildly inconsistent...he could be exciting at times, and there were certainly moments where you thought we really had something to work with, but ultimately, he always faltered in the end....still, not quite the disaster he's made out to be on here sometimes, and rarely did he have an even halfway decent defense or offensive line to aid him. JMO
I remember Deuce running for over 200 yards in games with Brooks and we still loss. Our defensive line included 2 all-pro's and studs in the LB's. DB's were so-so. Brooks targeted his receivers and did not see the entire field like Brees does. His accuracy was also questionable in tight coverage. His second season we were 6 and one and commentators were calling us the best team in the NFC. We were headed to the playoffs but Brooks hurt his shoulder at the end of the season and Haslett refused to put in Delomme against a 2 win Cincinnati team and we loss the last 3 games and we were done/no playoffs. Delomme went on to take Carolina to the Super Bowl.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom