For those of us who have never known a Saints team without a HOF QB under center... (1 Viewer)

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
...what's it like?

Posters around these parts speak about Aaron Brooks and even the Cajun Cannon in a way that makes me think that everything pre-2006 was the “bad old days” (at least on offense, other than with Archie - apparently we were just terrible at every other position then). But was it really that bad??

AB must have caught fire at some stage. Bobby obviously took us to the playoffs. Jake Delhomme must have had a good training camp or something. There still must be a few famous road wins? Some game-winning fourth quarter drives?

And surely we have more talent at our skilled positions than those old Saints teams too!?

Somebody say something comforting for those of us who might be spending $10,000.00+ to come from overseas to follow the team around for a month in November.

PS: I'm not counting Luke McCown's start a few years back, or TB last year when Dome field advantage was sewn up.

Aaron Brooks was the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. If he only had a brain he had the talent to beat anyone in the league. The guy that got hurt for him to play, Jeff Blake, was solid too. I vaguely remember the Billy Joes but I was too young then. I was New Orleans fan and not a New Orleans Saints fan (now I’m both). Anything before that is really before my time.

Obviously, most on here talk about Brooks like he was the most garbage qb to ever take a snap in the NFL, but the way I remember it is he was just wildly inconsistent...he could be exciting at times, and there were certainly moments where you thought we really had something to work with, but ultimately, he always faltered in the end....still, not quite the disaster he's made out to be on here sometimes, and rarely did he have an even halfway decent defense or offensive line to aid him. JMO

Probably 1-2 max without a QB. Just got to wait for the right prospect.

We are lucky to be honest.

Last edited:
Brooks and Hebert aren’t where you point to when you talk about a legacy of truly bad Saints quarterbacking. The Billy Joes. Wuerffel. Dave Wilson. A washed up Stabler, and an ever deeper dive into a carousel of used-to-bes and never-weres. At least Brooks and Hebert had some success, limited as that was.

Brees is on a whole different level from most other QBs to ever play in the NFL, so certainly no other Saints QB deserves to be mentioned in the same breath. But still, it gets much worse than the two you mentioned. Much.

...what's it like?

Posters around these parts speak about Aaron Brooks and even the Cajun Cannon in a way that makes me think that everything pre-2006 was the “bad old days” (at least on offense, other than with Archie - apparently we were just terrible at every other position then). But was it really that bad??

AB must have caught fire at some stage. Bobby obviously took us to the playoffs. Jake Delhomme must have had a good training camp or something. There still must be a few famous road wins? Some game-winning fourth quarter drives?

And surely we have more talent at our skilled positions than those old Saints teams too!?

Somebody say something comforting for those of us who might be spending $10,000.00+ to come from overseas to follow the team around for a month in November.

PS: I'm not counting Luke McCown's start a few years back, or TB last year when Dome field advantage was sewn up.
If SP realizes that we have the team to win a Super Bowl, then he must make Taysom the starting QB. TH7 has what it takes, he just needs a chance

...what's it like?

you missed out on danny wherful and steve walsh, those two seemed fairly good to us then bobby hebert and jake delhome came along and we thought we had a good QB with bobby lol. he did manage the clock well though, bobby ran that clock down to 2-3 every time before he snapped it.

then there was chad everett and jeff george and just about every old QB any team discarded that could still complete 20 yard passes

Oh as far as Jake Delhomme goes Haslett ties his wagon to Brooks and wouldn’t really play him. He was good. He didn’t offer the running threat Brooks did but he was a smarter QB. I was fine with rolling with AB at the time but I know a lot of Saints fan would disagree.

Aaron Brooks was the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. If he only had a brain he had the talent to beat anyone in the league. The guy that got hurt for him to play, Jeff Blake, was solid too. I vaguely remember the Billy Joes but I was too young then. I was New Orleans fan and not a New Orleans Saints fan (now I’m both). Anything before that is really before my time.

Jeff Blake was a treat to watch. Dude could throw a deep ball

Jeff Blake was a treat to watch. Dude could throw a deep ball

Yea the way he lost his job was bad but Brooks got us our first playoff win, although it took “Hakim drops the ball” for it to happen. Oh well, looking back at it makes today seem trivial honestly. River city relay springs to mind, Classic us. I guess that’s why I keep watching, I always believe we’ll pull it out in the end.

Man, over the years I've seen some really creative ways to lose games, and I'm just talking about since about 1980. Like so bad that it was almost admirable how the worst possible series of events would take place to produce the absolute worst possible and improbable outcomes. Loveable losers doesn't even begin to describe the faith and expectation that if something could go wrong, it would go wrong.

The fact that we now have a competent and dedicated owner, front office, and coaching staff who have established a commitment to professional success is just delightful. It wasn't always like that.

We've extended Coach now, so I'm confident that this organization will find success, even in the post-Brees era and/or while he rehabs from injury. This team today is built to win. Today was tough because we got whipped, but that game is over and it's on to the next one. I expect us to win in Seattle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom