For those of us with any long-covid issues, also know as covid long haulers. (2 Viewers)

Another good example of why getting the vaccine was a wise choice. I know the author caught it before
the original vaccine came out. I mentioned a co-worker of mine in one of the covid threads. She lost her sense
of smell also. She was vaccinated though. She finally recovered her sense of smell,but it took her 18 months
to do so. Her Dr. told her it probably would have been worse if she wasn't vaccinated.
My wife lost her taste and sense of smell for a few weeks and when it returned it came back distorted.

Her favorite food has always been shrimp. She's like the Bubba Gump of eating shrimp, but no longer. She says it tastes metallic and disgusting and although she tries it every once and again it's never been good since the original stain of covid.

Lobster, crab and other shellfish are all fine. Crazy.

My wife lost her taste and sense of smell for a few weeks and when it returned it came back distorted.

Her favorite food has always been shrimp. She's like the Bubba Gump of eating shrimp, but no longer. She says it tastes metallic and disgusting and although she tries it every once and again it's never been good since the original stain of covid.

weird

For my wife, it’s bell peppers. She used to LOVE getting the three pack of red, yellow and orange bell peppers to make salads, omelettes and etc… now, she can’t stand the taste of them.

Another good example of why getting the vaccine was a wise choice. I know the author caught it before
the original vaccine came out. I mentioned a co-worker of mine in one of the covid threads. She lost her sense
of smell also. She was vaccinated though. She finally recovered her sense of smell,but it took her 18 months
to do so. Her Dr. told her it probably would have been worse if she wasn't vaccinated.
Yeah, I've mostly lost my sense of smell since having COVID. Hopefully it'll come back for me at some point.

Covid is a weird disease. It can kill you or you can have no symptoms at all. Mankind has never
seen a disease like this before. Hopefully we'll never see one like it again.
We may not survive another one.

For my wife, it’s bell peppers. She used to LOVE getting the three pack of red, yellow and orange bell peppers to make salads, omelettes and etc… now, she can’t stand the taste of them.
If she's getting those packs from Costco (I think they are 6) - those are weird mutant peppers anyway. They will stay good longer than any other pepper from any store, and they don't taste like anythingt\,

So it's possible her taste got better.

Many people with long Covid feel tired, unwell and in pain for lengthy periods after exercise, and researchers say they now know why.

Experts say they have evidence that biological changes are to blame, such as severe muscle damage, mitochondrial problems and the presence of microclots in the body.

“It’s really confirming that there is something inside the body going wrong with the disease,” said Dr Rob Wüst, an author of the study at Vrije Universiteit (Free University) Amsterdam.

Long Covid is thought to affect tens of thousands of people in the UK alone, and many experience a worsening of symptoms for weeks after a single bout of exercise.

Published in the journal Nature Communications, the study involved 25 patients with long Covid who reported experiencing malaise after exercising, and 21 people who had had Covid but made a full recovery. None of the participants had been hospitalised with Covid, while all had been fit and healthy before catching the virus and were of working age.

Each participant spent about 10-15 minutes on an exercise bicycle, and blood samples and skeletal muscle biopsies were taken a week before and the day after the task.

While there was considerable variation between patients, on average, people with long Covid had a lower exercise capacity than healthy participants.

When the researchers analysed the biopsies taken before exercise, they found that those with long Covid had a greater proportion of white fibres in their muscles than healthy participants. These fibres have fewer power-producing structures, known as mitochondria, within their cells, and fewer capillaries.

The team also found signs that the mitochondria in people with long Covid did not work as well as those in healthy participants.

Wüst said the findings partly explained why people with long Covid had a lower capacity for exercise.……

Im 10 months post covid and the brain fog is still very real. As easy as it is to joke about it ,i feel like covid shaved 10 IQ points off ,and I cant afford to lose any!

I wonder if sportswriter/ESPN talking head Bill Plaschke has brain fog from long covid

He caught it early on and the times I've seen him on air he definitely seems a bit off
================================

Longtime Los Angeles Times sports columnist Bill Plaschke wrote on Wednesday that he contracted COVID-19 recently and outlined his symptoms and struggles with the virus that has ripped through communities across the U.S.

"My temperature hovered in the upper reaches of 102," Plaschke wrote. "It felt like my head was on fire. One night I sweated through five shirts. I shook so much from the chills I thought I chipped a tooth. My chest felt like LeBron James was sitting on it. My fatigue made it feel as if I was dressed in the chains of Jacob Marley’s ghost. I coughed so hard it felt like I broke a rib."

Plaschke, 61, wrote that he thinks he became infected while meeting friends for two dinners at an outdoor patio with social distancing, in accordance with local ordinances. He also said he had been following rules of self-isolation and had been wearing his mask when needed.

"I would fall asleep in a chair and wake up terrified from a hallucinatory dream where I was chased through a playground by old women with giant heads," he continued. "During phone calls I would get confused and just stop talking. I would begin crying for no reason. I lost my sense of taste, smell, and five pounds in the first four days."

Plaschke also wrote about the mental toll from the virus, how it sparked a pang of fear over his future health, how he contemplated heading to the hospital...........

Last edited:
I wonder of sportswriter/ESPN talking head Bill Plaschke has brain fog from long covid

He caught it early on and the times I've seen him on air he definitely seems a bit off
================================

Longtime Los Angeles Times sports columnist Bill Plaschke wrote on Wednesday that he contracted COVID-19 recently and outlined his symptoms and struggles with the virus that has ripped through communities across the U.S.

"My temperature hovered in the upper reaches of 102," Plaschke wrote. "It felt like my head was on fire. One night I sweated through five shirts. I shook so much from the chills I thought I chipped a tooth. My chest felt like LeBron James was sitting on it. My fatigue made it feel as if I was dressed in the chains of Jacob Marley’s ghost. I coughed so hard it felt like I broke a rib."

Plaschke, 61, wrote that he thinks he became infected while meeting friends for two dinners at an outdoor patio with social distancing, in accordance with local ordinances. He also said he had been following rules of self-isolation and had been wearing his mask when needed.

"I would fall asleep in a chair and wake up terrified from a hallucinatory dream where I was chased through a playground by old women with giant heads," he continued. "During phone calls I would get confused and just stop talking. I would begin crying for no reason. I lost my sense of taste, smell, and five pounds in the first four days."

Plaschke also wrote about the mental toll from the virus, how it sparked a pang of fear over his future health, how he contemplated heading to the hospital...........

These are good reads. Once again, just because you survived covid it doesn't mean everything will be
fine in a few days.

People with excessively flexible joints may be at heightened risk of long Covid and persistent fatigue, research suggests.

Hypermobility is where some or all of a person’s joints have an unusually large range of movement due to differences in the structure of their connective tissues that support, protect and give structure to organs, joints and other tissues.

Up to 20% of adults are hypermobile and many of them are completely healthy. Hypermobility can even be beneficial, with many musicians and athletes having very flexible joints. However, it can also create problems, such as an increased propensity to pain, fatigue, joint injuries and stomach or digestive problems…….

I still have issues focusing. I really have to read the same thing over and over some times to grasp it. Thought it might be age or covid.

Scientist think one of the big drivers of long covid is a disruption of iron regulation.

*Warning this is very long*

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom