For those that love to reference PFF... (1 Viewer)

Where :shrug:

I'm sure smart GMs keep tabs on these sites like PFF or FootballOutsiders. Wy wouldn't you? They're trying to push the bounds of statistics applied to football and it would behoove any GM to keep track and see if there are any new or interesting ideas popping up.

But honestly he could do that by getting Intern Jim a dummy account and telling him to keep tabs on it and send a memo in anything interesting.

I'm not sure what an entire NFL franchise would be subscribing for.

Very first paragraph in ad. Mentions NFL teams, and agents that they provide information to. Im just trying to point out they do provide a great service. Others can make thier cute little pictures making fun of what I said. Everyone is entitled to believe what they choose to believe.

It might not be perfect but it at least gives us a non-biased database to compare players. There signature stats also have a lot less variance in error than their grades and has some information that is extremely insightful. There is a reason why the players generally regarded as the best receive such high grades while the players cut after the season bring up the rear.

I mean if all we'd had to judge players were tackles and sacks we'd be a bunch of morons. There is more to the game than that and such a simplistic view is for kindegarteners.

Says right on thier site. If it wasnt true, I promise you Goodell would make them take it down.

Lol... This is like that commercial where the super hot chick says "if its on the Internet, it's gota be true" then goes on to meet her boyfriend, the French model..

Bonjourno!!!

Very first paragraph in ad. Mentions NFL teams, and agents that they provide information to. Im just trying to point out they do provide a great service. Others can make thier cute little pictures making fun of what I said. Everyone is entitled to believe what they choose to believe.

Their*

It's an ad for what basically amounts to someone doing data entry at an intern level.

And somehow that means they have unpaid "fans" with no actual skills producing their data?

Stretch much?

It might not be perfect but it at least gives us a non-biased database to compare players. There signature stats also have a lot less variance in error than their grades and has some information that is extremely insightful. There is a reason why the players generally regarded as the best receive such high grades while the players cut after the season bring up the rear.

I mean if all we'd had to judge players were tackles and sacks we'd be a bunch of morons. There is more to the game than that and such a simplistic view is for kindegarteners.

Yeah it's great for fans. In particular the tracking of things like positions, formations, times in coverage, etc, is invaluable because no one is going to go and track that stuff for, say, Keenan Lewis in the Steelers. You might see, what, 3 Steelers games in a year, and not pay specific attention to anyone when you watch those? It makes fans much more educated, which is always good.

But, obviously, "ratings" are subjective and should be treated as such.

Can't believe I haven't seen this posted yet...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/19/become-part-of-the-pff-team/

Yes, you too can join the team of random guys sitting at home 'grading' NFL players! :no:

They do a very good job. I'm not sure what media you prefer, but they seem to put a lot more work in than most.

Every player opinion we consume through the media comes from "random guys" who form opinions through watching games. At least these guys chart their findings and give context to what they say, vs. just saying Jay Cutler is good because he is good.

Where :shrug:

I'm sure smart GMs keep tabs on these sites like PFF or FootballOutsiders. Wy wouldn't you? They're trying to push the bounds of statistics applied to football and it would behoove any GM to keep track and see if there are any new or interesting ideas popping up.

But honestly he could do that by getting Intern Jim a dummy account and telling him to keep tabs on it and send a memo in anything interesting.

I'm not sure what an entire NFL franchise would be subscribing for.

NFL teams paying for PFF data doesn't mean that they have a $25 subscription. They collect a ton of data not published on the website and available to members, most of which would be cumbersome for NFL teams to collect themselves. STATS INC and Football Outsiders both work with teams similarly.

NFL teams paying for PFF data doesn't mean that they have a $25 subscription. They collect a ton of data not published on the website and available to members, most of which would be cumbersome for NFL teams to collect themselves. STATS INC and Football Outsiders both work with teams similarly.

Yeah but like what? I'm not arguing I'm genuinely interested.

It's a great tool. Many NFL teams use thier service. It's an awesome service
No, its not - and that's the point.

You have a random guy watching NFL Replay "breaking down film" with no expressed qualifications much less any quality control. The company is ran by an English man ( Neil Hornsby ) and as of Dec 2012, they had 26 people 'breaking down film'. These random guys are watching regular game footage and attempting to determine things like who got beat in coverage, if a lineman was beat off their block, etc.

Both corners in press coverage, one WR runs a short hook and the CB stays with him. On the other side of the field, the CB stays in the flat as the WR breaks out, but the WR ran an out & up and is wide open down the sideline before the safety can get there.... was that a cover 2 and the safety just couldn't get over in time? Or was it a quarters coverage and the corner blew his assignment?

If corners are 7 yards off at the snap and the WR runs a quick hitch for a catch, is that an "allowed catch" marked against the CB?

Did that offensive linemen get beat or did he slip his block on purpose because he was on a fold and someone else was suppose to pick that guy up?

You saw 4+ drops by WRs but PFF only lists 1 in the game and its credited to a guy who was jumping backwards to try to get a hand on the ball?!

In all cases, judging by PFF's numbers, the answer is.... flip a coin. The 'data' outside of mundane things like 'snaps taken' is not much better than a random number generator. If any team's fan base should know this, it should be ours - Franklin, Rogers, and even Bunkley certainly did not perform even non-scheme specific tasks ( ex. Shaun played on rollerskates ) as well as PFF had rated them in the previous year, but suddenly they went from top of the line players ( according to PFF... ) to so-so or players no team seems too happy to sign.

Friends don't let friends use PFF to judge a player's performance.

So what you're saying is Jenkins wasn't really the worst Safety in the league as PFF showed?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom