For those that want smaller government (1 Viewer)

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
But since we've privatized the prison system into a massive for-profit enterprise that's serving as an expanding growth engine for the economy, that's not really shrinking government as much as you think.

Jimbo

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
No arguments here but why is the GOP exclusively to blame for this? There are plenty of large powerful lobbying groups who want it to continue, they court both sides of the aisle. By the way prohibition is unconstitutional, just thought I'd throw that in.

OP
Reaction score
Good question, but maybe it's because they are the ones touted as wanting to reduce the government size while Dem's are accused of expanding it.

thefredman63

Very Banned
Reaction score
Dems not only accused, but they do it at every chance...and whats with the legalization of drugs? want to use drugs legally? is that it? pretty selfish if yo ask me

Jimbo

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear neither of the major parties are interested in shrinking the size of government, and haven't been at least since Bush 43 took office.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
i think it's pretty clear neither of the major parties are interested in shrinking the size of government, and haven't been at least since <strike>bush 43 took</strike> truman left office.
fify

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At least for weed.

A significant portion if the Mexican cartel trade and the violence that comes with it stems from weed.

That would evaporate overnight if weed were legal. We can grow better weed up here and people will almost always choose a legal product over an illegal one. Plus it is revenue generating rather than tue budget hole that is the war on drugs. And then there's also the incarceration savings.

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
At least for weed.

A significant portion if the Mexican cartel trade and the violence that comes with it stems from weed.

That would evaporate overnight if weed were legal. We can grow better weed up here and people will almost always choose a legal product over an illegal one. Plus it is revenue generating rather than tue budget hole that is the war on drugs. And then there's also the incarceration savings.
It should all be legal. Right now I can use a crypto digital currency made by a hacker to buy any illegal drug online, and have them delivered to my front door. The people who argue against legalization have no clue. It's a very low barrier these days.

Those that don't want the end to the war on drugs? It would kill the for profit system, and social conservative Republicans. You need look no further then Jindal who runs the largest per capita prison system in the world. He didn't touch it, but gutted healthcare/education. I honestly don't understand the Republican party. I don't think they understand themselves right now.

Sucks LA is in the Bible Belt. New Orleans could be making a killing on Bourbon St cafes.

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand the Republican party. I don't think they understand themselves right now.
They don't. That whole "big tent" thing is killing them. Maybe you can get a bunch of disparate entities to work towards a common goal for a while, but eventually a party comprised of hardline social conservatives, imperialistic, anti-civil liberty neocons, and small government, libertarian-esque conservatives is going to collapse on itself. There is no way to serve all of those masters simultaneously. The neocon policies piss off the small government people. The small government, anti-authoritarian crowd piss off the social conservatives who want legislated morality. You've got a bunch of elements that are fundamentally at odds with one another. That's no way to build a remotely functional political party. It's what happens when you abandon any concept of a real platform and embrace a "just beat the other guys mentality." Maybe for a while you work to defeat your common enemy, but sooner or later the fact that the force you've assembled doesn't share a common ethos will see it deteriorate. And that's what's happening to them now.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They don't. That whole "big tent" thing is killing them. Maybe you can get a bunch of disparate entities to work towards a common goal for a while, but eventually a party comprised of hardline social conservatives, imperialistic, anti-civil liberty neocons, and small government, libertarian-esque conservatives is going to collapse on itself. There is no way to serve all of those masters simultaneously. The neocon policies piss off the small government people. The small government, anti-authoritarian crowd piss off the social conservatives who want legislated morality. You've got a bunch of elements that are fundamentally at odds with one another. That's no way to build a remotely functional political party. It's what happens when you abandon any concept of a real platform and embrace a "just beat the other guys mentality." Maybe for a while you work to defeat your common enemy, but sooner or later the fact that the force you've assembled doesn't share a common ethos will see it deteriorate. And that's what's happening to them now.
Too literally attached to the stupidity that is Ayn Rands "philosophy" and the idea that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Somehow they've become a group of enemies collected because of a mutual enemy against which they all want to fight. The problem, however, is that they're still all at odds with one another.

How on earth a Libertarian could stand abortion and drug prohibitions is beyond me.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
How on earth a Libertarian could stand abortion and drug prohibitions is beyond me.
If they're a libertarian, they can't. But by the same token, how can civil rights and peace advocates support Obama?

The problem is both parties are cobbled together coalitions of disparate elements, which means the main unifying element for both has to be hating the "other".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom