For those wanting Jonathan Vilma (1 Viewer)

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a quote from the NY Post when he had his surgery...

"Mangini also offered no timetable on when Vilma is expected to return or if he'll be ready for training camp."

this from CBSsportsline...

"Vilma's 2007 ended when he seriously damaged his knee, and speculation was such that he had microfracture surgery on the knee. The Jets have said nothing about the extent of the injury, but they say they want to keep Vilma."

I think it is buyer beware on this player. I like Jonathan Vilma but he is damaged goods and wouldn't consider moving down to make it a part of the team or anything like that.

I don't think he is the answer given his history with knee problems.

What other realistic options are out there, in terms of experience MLB's?

The guy in Atlanta (Williams?) is a WLB as far as I remember, and likely to be too expensive in trading terms (unrestricted free agent, likely to get top tender)

Carlos Dansby from 'Zona is probably not going to be allowed to leave, franchise tag if no deal...

who else is there?

Though we could draft someone...this year is deep on LB's

So this would just lower his trade value right? Why not give up a 6th or even a 5th rd pick for him? I'd take my chances.

It has also been stated that he has some kind of bone disorder in his knees so its a big possibility that he'll be hobbled and injury prone for his entire career.

If we can get him for a late 2nd day pick, you take the chance. But with the talent at LB in this draft you can draft a great MLB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of giving up that pick for Vilma.

I keep pointing back to this that was posted sometime ago. I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

According to a brief mention in the Newark Star-Ledger, Jets LB Jonathan Vilma’s mysterious knee surgery earlier this season was performed in order to remove floating bone chips and fragments from his right knee.

As with all their injuries, the Jets have been extremely tight-lipped about Vilma’s condition, and speculation began to emerge that the linebacker had undergone microfracture surgery, a serious procedure that would have severely impacted Vilma’s value on the trade market.

On Sunday, Vilma made an appearance on the sidelines without crutches, another indication that the injury is not serious, and that his rehabilitation is progressing smoothly.

Assuming the former Pro Bowler is on his way to a clean bill of health, it’s extremely probable that Vilma will be dealt in the offseason. Rookie David Harris has excelled during Vilma’s absence.

This is dumb we would check him out before the trade was final anyway so what Mangini said means nothing!!!

If the Jets are interested in moving him, why the secrecy involving his injury? All that does is drive down his trade value.

If the Jets are interested in moving him, why the secrecy involving his injury? All that does is drive down his trade value.

Yeah, that's the mystery to me as well. Almost seems that they want to retain him but everything else you hear says otherwise. David Harris proved more than capable of manning the middle for the Jets so Vilma seems expendable to me.

Man, IF he is healthy and could play up to his potential then he could be a steal for a second day pick. Still young and very talented..........IF healthy.

I love his work ethic, but the saints havent exactly done awesome historically in trades, except 06' and that doesnt count. God gave us a break for Katrina. Knee injures scare the crap out of me.

BY TOM ROCK
January 18, 2008

Jonathan Vilma's knee is healthy enough for him to play football again -- at least the two-hand-touch variety among sixth-graders in a middle-school gym. Oh, and he has to be the automatic quarterback because he's not ready to run yet.

It was the right knee that ended Vilma's season after seven games. He had surgery in November to remove bone chips from the joint, still walks with a limp and has not yet tried to run. He continues to rehab near his home in Miami.

Vilma said he is unsure whether he will be physically ready to participate in OTAs or minicamps this spring. He said that is something the coaches will have to decide but added that it doesn't seem worth risking further injury or derailing his rehab progress to learn a defensive system he already knows.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0119,0,3978334.story

I'm not sure if he'd be able to pass the physical now or in the spring.

Well the Jets being silent on his knees status actually says alot. It most likely means the knee is as least as bad the reports. Meaning he can't pass a physical. If he were closer to being able to play the Jets would be saying something to the effect of "His knee is on schedule and is being closely monitored. We think he'll be ready by training camp. We want him back to compete for the middle linebacker spot". Of course this would all be an attempt to pump up hid trade value. Their silence probably means the reports are true his knee is a mess.......

I gave up on the dream of getting Vilma in a trade... until Dr Andrews signs off on this... I say lets take Rivers at 10 to play MIKE (he's playing MIKE in the Senior Bowl I think)...

'Jonathan Vilma (knee surgery) is uncertain if he'll be ready for spring workouts.
Vilma is off crutches, but can't run yet after undergoing surgery to remove floating bone fragments from his right knee in early November. When asked if he expects to be traded this offseason, Vilma would only say "that's outside of my control." He has two years left on his rookie contract.'

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom