For those wanting Sean Payton fired, who chooses his replacement? (1 Viewer)

Kamara Time in NO

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I am a big Sean Payton fan. No, he is not perfect. He does things at times that are irksome and he has no idea how to choose or coach defensive players. Despite that, I want him to stay because I know he can win Super Bowls because he's done it. My biggest concern, however, is if he were to be fired, who is picking the next head coach? I really don't think Benson is capable of doing that with his advanced age. His wife is not going to be able to go out and interview and select a new head coach. So, does Mickey Loomis make the hire? My apologies to Loomis, but I really don't want him being the guy to pick our next head coach. I say give Payton another season. Next year, with cap relief and another year of developing some good, young talent, the Saints should be in a position to be competitive, if they make the right decisions in free agency and the draft. Sean Payton will win another Super Bowl one day. I want it to be here in New Orleans.

I am a big Sean Payton fan. No, he is not perfect. He does things at times that are irksome and he has no idea how to choose or coach defensive players. Despite that, I want him to stay because I know he can win Super Bowls because he's done it. My biggest concern, however, is if he were to be fired, who is picking the next head coach? I really don't think Benson is capable of doing that with his advanced age. His wife is not going to be able to go out and interview and select a new head coach. So, does Mickey Loomis make the hire? My apologies to Loomis, but I really don't want him being the guy to pick our next head coach. I say give Payton another season. Next year, with cap relief and another year of developing some good, young talent, the Saints should be in a position to be competitive, if they make the right decisions in free agency and the draft. Sean Payton will win another Super Bowl one day. I want it to be here in New Orleans.
I'm pretty sure Loomis managed the search to identify Payton. Benson would have had to sign off but do you really think Benson ever did anything but weigh the advice given to him by experts?

I'm sure Loomis would go about it the same way to identify the best prospects. Stop with the fear of the unknown.

This part is not to be afraid of. I just think when the time comes for a new coach they should think about revising the WHOLE org structure and bring in a true football operations GM first and then find the coach who knows he answers to that GM.

Knowing how the Saints seem to work maybe Ireland becomes that Football GM, whether or not that's the best option.

Would you have chosen Sean after Haslett? There isn't a 100% free of failing choice here. I personally don't want to see Sean go, but what he's doing clearly isn't working.

I understand this a rebuilding year, and I along with a lot of folks thought that this would be a building year to next year where we make a run.

Buuuuttt....I've been ok with everything that's happened so far this season, I can live with it until yesterday. The team clearly showed a lack of give a damn after blowing out the rams.

Same problems that have existed for 3 seasons are still here. The only silver lining is Sean has shown that he can take a team that has underwhelmed for 2 season to a super bowl.

Hopefully we see changes and key acquisitions this off-season, but there is a lot more work to be done than there should be. We are basically staring at the same problems we were last off-season.

We need an elite pass rusher, a guard, a tackle, a tight end, a corner and a play making line backer.

I know the NFL isn't an exact science and you aren't going to hit on every draft pick and free agent that comes in. The concerning thing with Sean however is how inconsistent his teams are and how terrible he has been this season at situational play calling.

That's the concern. Getting your team prepared for a football season and not losing all your preseason games and starting the season 1-3 3 years in a row.

It's not that Sean is all of a sudden a terrible coach, it's that he seems to have lost the ability to motivate his team from week to week. That's a huge red flag.

Would you have chosen Sean after Haslett? There isn't a 100% free of failing choice here. I personally don't want to see Sean go, but what he's doing clearly isn't working.

I understand this a rebuilding year, and I along with a lot of folks thought that this would be a building year to next year where we make a run.

Buuuuttt....I've been ok with everything that's happened so far this season, I can live with it until yesterday. The team clearly showed a lack of give a damn after blowing out the rams.

Same problems that have existed for 3 seasons are still here. The only silver lining is Sean has shown that he can take a team that has underwhelmed for 2 season to a super bowl.

Hopefully we see changes and key acquisitions this off-season, but there is a lot more work to be done than there should be. We are basically staring at the same problems we were last off-season.

We need an elite pass rusher, a guard, a tackle, a tight end, a corner and a play making line backer.

I know the NFL isn't an exact science and you aren't going to hit on every draft pick and free agent that comes in. The concerning thing with Sean however is how inconsistent his teams are and how terrible he has been this season at situational play calling.

That's the concern. Getting your team prepared for a football season and not losing all your preseason games and starting the season 1-3 3 years in a row.

It's not that Sean is all of a sudden a terrible coach, it's that he seems to have lost the ability to motivate his team from week to week. That's a huge red flag.
He had motivation for a personal grudge and a stated goal of scoring 50 points to rub a particular coach's nose in it, though that coach's team was mediocre and not even a divisional opponent.

It was very important to win it but expending that much energy and focus to win it in a way to intentionally embarrass the opponent was questionable. It was the Rams, a very winnable game with a sound but not spectacular effort.

Be professional and win the game and save the big emotional effort for the Falcons or the Bucs. One at a time.

For long term success, week to week motivation must come from within the players.... and it starts at practice.

Teach/coach your players to get better every day... and that each and every practice and game is an opportunity to learn about yourself and what motivates you to become a better football player.

Relying on your HC to provide week to week motivation is old school.

Every game.... every practice is your Superbowl.

No one game is more important than the next.

Read "Win Forever" by Pete Carroll to learn more.

This conversation is a bit premature. If we have a losing season next year then you fire Sean. Trying to name his replacement a year away from when he would possibly have to be replaced is too tough. A lot of names could come and go, so who we name now might not be available in a year.

That said, Pete Carmichael would be my choice.

I think it's quite obvious that SP has been a little short of mojo these last couple of seasons.
That ruthless intensity seemed to desert him after his ban and he's looked a shadow of his self at times.
In my opinion he was a little too loyal to certain members of his coaching staff at times and at other times he maybe should have made changes sooner.

Nevertheless, I trust in SP and always will. That's not blind optimism and memories of past glories....I really do think he can get us going again.
We saw last week what he is capable of coaching when he brings the heat. We need that fire every week though and we got it pre-ban.
Last week was seen as a personal duel by SP and you could see that in how he savoured every big play.........it's now down to SP or Mickey to work out how to bring that intensity every week.

This conversation is a bit premature. If we have a losing season next year then you fire Sean. Trying to name his replacement a year away from when he would possibly have to be replaced is too tough. A lot of names could come and go, so who we name now might not be available in a year.

That said, Pete Carmichael would be my choice.

I'm sure not suggesting we begin considering options for head coach. I don't want Payton fired as I stated. My concern, and one nobody seems willing to address, is who would be making the selection of a new head coach? Mr. Benson is probably out of the process so does that leave Mickey Loomis as the sole member of the organization who would be conducting the search? I really don't have the confidence in Loomis to believe he would make a good hire. I say stay with the one you know that brought you to the Super Bowl.

I'm sure not suggesting we begin considering options for head coach. I don't want Payton fired as I stated. My concern, and one nobody seems willing to address, is who would be making the selection of a new head coach? Mr. Benson is probably out of the process so does that leave Mickey Loomis as the sole member of the organization who would be conducting the search? I really don't have the confidence in Loomis to believe he would make a good hire. I say stay with the one you know that brought you to the Super Bowl.
Loomis would have put together a list and brought it to Benson in 2006.

Why would that not work again? This time he brings the candidate list to...?

I see no reason to fear this unless you thought Benson had stellar judgement in making the final hiring decision.

Yeah, but he brought us to the Super Bowl nearly 7 years ago, and since then it has been more disappointment than anything. Even the man that the Super Bowl trophy is named after was fired because he wasn't cutting mustard any longer.

The idea that you never move on from a person because you had a moment of ultimate success sounds more like marriage than a well run business.

I think it's quite obvious that SP has been a little short of mojo these last couple of seasons.
That ruthless intensity seemed to desert him after his ban and he's looked a shadow of his self at times.
In my opinion he was a little too loyal to certain members of his coaching staff at times and at other times he maybe should have made changes sooner.

Nevertheless, I trust in SP and always will. That's not blind optimism and memories of past glories....I really do think he can get us going again.
We saw last week what he is capable of coaching when he brings the heat. We need that fire every week though and we got it pre-ban.
Last week was seen as a personal duel by SP and you could see that in how he savoured every big play.........it's now down to SP or Mickey to work out how to bring that intensity every week.
It's a big problem if you need personal grudge matches or to feel that you need to 'stick it' to people for personal reasons in order to get motivated to do your job at the same high level week in and week out.

The same thing inside him that makes the grudges burn, that makes him stubbornly dig in to prove people wrong and show that his way is the best, is the same thing responsible for both his strengths and weaknesses as a coach.

As an offensive coordinator maybe it's on balance a plus. For his job as a Head Coach I think on balance the ego/arrogance/grudge tendency is a net negative.

Chuck Nolls (Steelers Head Coach) once said that "I had to motivate a player, then I will have to cut them".

I'd say Carmichael easily. He might actually be the genius behind Sean Payton's flare. Twice the offense half the ego , half the price ... Why not

I do love Sean though

I don't want to see SP go, but if that is what it takes to clean the house, then so be it. What good is a #1 offense with a less than average rest of the team?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom