For those with three or more children... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
How was the transition from having two to having three?

Is that the most challenging transition (after the first one)? I have heard going from three to four is a lot easier, but two to three was the big step up.

I have heard the zone defense from man-to-man analogy.

I have also heard from several that by the time you have four, that fourth one is pretty much raising itself.

Just trying to get some perspective before I venture there myself.

Is that the most challenging transition (after the first one)? I have heard going from three to four is a lot easier, but two to three was the big step up.

I have also heard from several that by the time you have four, that fourth one is pretty much raising itself.

Good lord, man. Why is there even a question? Avoid the pain.

i am the 4th child....but i am the only boy as well....so i didn't raise myself.....

i am what you might call a "mama's boy".....:hihi:

We have four. Adding number 3 was pretty easy for us because one and two were older a pretty independent on the basics. They were in school and bathing themselves, cleaning their own mess etc. so the third was pretty easy. If anything they were a help, especially my daughter who was 8 at the time.

Four has been more difficult and time consuming because he had a stroke and that creates a whole different set of circumstances. However, even that hasn't really been hard. He's two now and my daughter is 12 so she's very helpful with both of the younger boys.

Honestly none of them were a problem for us but my wife and I really relish in being parents so each additional and each additional set of responsibilities just adds to the fun.

the wife is wanting number 2

i do not want

any advice there?

Iron, I think the question here is do you really want another kid? Things will be better if you do obviously.

the wife is wanting number 2

i do not want

any advice there?

The best gifts you can give your children are siblings. We have two girls and a third due in February. God willing, we'll be able to have more. I cannot tell you how much joy it brings me to see my girls interact with each other and the excitement they express in knowing they've got a sister coming. Remember, love is not a zero sum game!

As to the original question, I asked that of a family we know that has 7. Their advice was that going from two to three was not nearly the transition that one to two was.

We have four. Adding number 3 was pretty easy for us because one and two were older a pretty independent on the basics. They were in school and bathing themselves, cleaning their own mess etc. so the third was pretty easy. If anything they were a help, especially my daughter who was 8 at the time.

Four has been more difficult and time consuming because he had a stroke and that creates a whole different set of circumstances. However, even that hasn't really been hard. He's two now and my daughter is 12 so she's very helpful with both of the younger boys.

Honestly none of them were a problem for us but my wife and I really relish in being parents so each additional and each additional set of responsibilities just adds to the fun.

Except for the ages, this describes us as well. My oldest was 7 when our 4th was born, but he is very helpful with all of the others.

Like SBTB, we've loved the new dynamics that each child has brought to the family. It is great to see how they interact differently with each other depending on which of their siblings are around them.

i don't know.....my son was pretty happy with the telescope i bought him for x-mas:hihi:

my 2 year old was happy as hell when i gave him my old wallet with some credit cards in it.

The best gifts you can give your children are siblings.

Agreed. I had 3 about as fast as one could. There's only 27 1/2 months between the birthdays of the first and last ones. They are close, have good relationships, share friends, activities, were each others sparring partners....... It was easy to find an activity that suited all of them. They all moved to the "big pool" the same summer, took all the training wheels off the same day, were never alone if they didn't want to be ....... Being so close in age made it easy on me. Piece of cake. It was great.

I highly recommend it, but I wish I had had more.

Time between first two - 4 1/2 years.
Time between numbers 2 and 3 - 5 years, 2 weeks.
All boys.
None of it is easy.

Our third was an accident and she is the best thing to ever happen to her two older brothers and our family. She really introduced a dynamic that they were so far removed from. I think going from one to two was the biggest adjustment, or maybe going from zero to one was but I can't remember that far back...
The third is cake, and three is the magic number if your'e going to have kids.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom