? For veterans who deal with the VA (1 Viewer)

AmerVet

The 1 Arm Receiver
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I applied for special adaptive housing grant in April. I was denied in May. The grant is given to those who need modifications made to their homes in order to make life less difficult for those with physical or mental disabilities due to service connected disabilities. A lot of you know my story but for those who don't, I was injured in Iraq in 05. The major injuries were to my face and left side which caused me to lose my arm at the shoulder, lose my nose which created ongoing sinus issues and needed 7 surgeries to reconstruct. I also became totally blind in my left eye and I still suffer nerve damage which can get so bad, I can't walk too long. Overall, I'm messed up pretty bad. I just want to know if anyone had applied for or recieved this grant, and if you have knowledge on the process, why do I not qualify? The VA Rep who I talked to said that I needed to be missing more than an arm. I was shocked. It's difficult to do things but I get them done. I just find it crazy that I can't get help with simple things like a hand rails to keep me from busting my butt when I get out if the shower, or lower cabinets so I can reach dishes without having to balance myself to keep from falling. Any info helps

I applied for special adaptive housing grant in April. I was denied in May. The grant is given to those who need modifications made to their homes in order to make life less difficult for those with physical or mental disabilities due to service connected disabilities. A lot of you know my story but for those who don't, I was injured in Iraq in 05. The major injuries were to my face and left side which caused me to lose my arm at the shoulder, lose my nose which created ongoing sinus issues and needed 7 surgeries to reconstruct. I also became totally blind in my left eye and I still suffer nerve damage which can get so bad, I can't walk too long. Overall, I'm messed up pretty bad. I just want to know if anyone had applied for or recieved this grant, and if you have knowledge on the process, why do I not qualify? The VA Rep who I talked to said that I needed to be missing more than an arm. I was shocked. It's difficult to do things but I get them done. I just find it crazy that I can't get help with simple things like a hand rails to keep me from busting my butt when I get out if the shower, or lower cabinets so I can reach dishes without having to balance myself to keep from falling. Any info helps

garysinisefoundation.org

That is EXACTLY what Gary Sinise devotes his life to........helping vets. I was just at his concert on Saturday, “The Lt Dan Band” They travel all over the world & raise millions of $$$ for vets. They build & modify homes for vets.

Also, if you call them up, I am sure that they will be able to cut through some of the stupid red tape of the messed up VA system.

Good Luck ?? ?

I really hate to hear that you are having this kind of trouble.

I know this may sound crazy, but you may want to see and try to contact if there are any Veterans Motorcycle Clubs in your area. They live for this kind of thing. Either by Raising Money through poker Runs to offer some Financial Assistance or volunteering with labor and materials.

Last edited:
My father received this grant and a ramp was purchased for his home. Fortunately my injuries are not severe enough to need such a grant. I will see if mother knows what was done to receive the grant.

Stay strong stay persistent.

I really hate to hear that you are having this kind of trouble.

I know this may sound crazy, but you may want to see and try to contact if there are any Veterans Motorcycle Clubs in your area. They live for this kind of thing. Either by Raising Money through Roker Runs to offer some Financial Assistance or volunteering with labor and materials.

Hey!!! Whatever works ?. It sounds good to me!

I have read about some awesome stuff that those guys do to help others & it makes them feel good & feel useful to contribute.

My advice would to go through the DAV, VFW, American Legion, Paralyzed Vets of American, or some other service organization. My claims go through the DAV because the VA will nickle and dime you to death. Good luck man. I'll ask the DAV next time I go over there.

My advice would to go through the DAV, VFW, American Legion, Paralyzed Vets of American, or some other service organization. My claims go through the DAV because the VA will nickle and dime you to death. Good luck man. I'll ask the DAV next time I go over there.

This. Also, I know in Texas we have the Texas Veteran's Commission. They helped me with my claim and got it approved, although mine is nowhere near what you're dealing with. Check with your state to see if they have something similar.

Prayers are with you, my friend.

Just give them a call... It's the Florida Chapter.

Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association
We assist veterans who need help

We are a local Chapter of a national organization comprised of combat veterans from the U.S. Armed Forces who ride motorcycles as a hobby.
Our Chapter’s mission is to help veterans who need a hand or to simply to say “Welcome Home”.

Phone: (321) 220-9075

Last edited:
Another option that I recently learned about was Habit for Humanity building homes for veterans. With that program they also have a remodel and repair program, you may qualify for that.

Did you apply for the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant or the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant? They are different things. Talk to the Prosthetics department at your local VA or send me a DM and I can pass on what I know of the process. I am a retired 20 year vet that works in rehab medicine at the VA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom