Force-out rule eliminated - Not Good For Colston (merged) (1 Viewer)

marccooper

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
There was an earlier thread on the proposal to eliminate the rule, perhaps they can be merged but the title needs to be updated.

The NFL owners voted to eliminate the force-out so now defensive players can push offensive players out of bounds before both their feet touch to eliminate a reception.

Apparently this rule was too much of a judgement call (would he have landed in bounds??) and too hard to correctly officiate in general so many supported its elimination.

However, I think with a pass-oriented offense and a big physical young receiver like Colston who will now be less effective and more subject to injury, this is bad for us. Some will argue that we have not benefitted from force-out ruling but I would argue that we have benefitted from the force-out being illegal and thus defensive players being reluctant to blatantly attempt it.

On defense, I think this also may help other teams more. I dont think we have the most physical secondary in the league with the most speed to always be there to knock the receiver out of bounds.

On the whole, I think this rule significantly hurts the value of big sideline receivers like Colston compared to sideline speedsters who get receptions by burning corners and slot receivers and tight ends who are less active on the sidelines, though some tight ends are also used in a way that is vulnerable to force-outs.

As an NFL fan I can understand this rule though I worry about the injury risk. As a Saints fan I don't like it.

I don't think that this rule will have that much of an impact on any team, regardless of their receivers or defenders. It really just makes things less subjective, making the officiating more consistent.

This rule should help our D. Since they're already late getting to the ball, they can just shove the receiver out of bounds. :D

Colston is not a sideline receiver. He lines up in the slot as much as anywhere else. Receivers already can't be touched outside of 5 yards unless they have the ball. It's their job to run routes that create separation from the defensive back... if they aren't doing that, then if they get knocked out of bounds while trying to make a catch, it's their fault. I love that they eliminated this stupid rule. Either man up or go play Arena ball.

Colston is not a sideline receiver. He lines up in the slot as much as anywhere else. Receivers already can't be touched outside of 5 yards unless they have the ball. It's their job to run routes that create separation from the defensive back... if they aren't doing that, then if they get knocked out of bounds while trying to make a catch, it's their fault. I love that they eliminated this stupid rule. Either man up or go play Arena ball.

i agree.....especially the bolded part

this rule will likely have little impact on any WR.....as stated before, it will make officiating more consistent

How often was this called league wide? At most, once every week or 2?

That is a huge rule change. Play calling and route running could change. Safeties will be teeing off on receivers on the sidelines now. I like rule changes that take the guess-work out of the equation, but this is one I'm not sure I like. As it is, a receiver has to get both feet in bounds, unlike college and high school.

I'd rather them change the "illegal contact downfield" five-yard, automatic first down call. It's cheap, too subjective and kills a good defensive effort.

And going for the legs is still a good move, because if you can cause the WR to drop the ball on impact, then it's an incompletion. The change makes sense. It was way too subjective, and we usually didn't benefit from anything subjective.

Yeah, force out were pretty rare before anyways. If this has any real effect it'll be more pass interference calls from sloppy/lazy CBs trying to time a push-out on the receiver instead of playing the ball like they're supposed too. A lot of those will end up early and pass interference, probably causing a rise in that penalty until position coaches start cracking down on that bad habit.

I think most of you are wrong.

I don't care if this rule was never called all season.

It still had an effect because it made defenders more hesitant to attempt force-outs whereas they will now be practicing force-outs all week long. It's not as if defenders will play with the same mindset now that the rule is changed. How many times was the straight arm called last season? Not too common probably. Make it legal and see whether that has an impact.

The top 3 receivers in our division are Colston, Steve Smith, and Galloway. Who do you think this effects most?

I think most of you are wrong.

I don't care if this rule was never called all season.

It still had an effect because it made defenders more hesitant to attempt force-outs whereas they will now be practicing force-outs all week long. It's not as if defenders will play with the same mindset now that the rule is changed. How many times was the straight arm called last season? Not too common probably. Make it legal and see whether that has an impact.

The top 3 receivers in our division are Colston, Steve Smith, and Galloway. Who do you think this effects most?

Steve Smith. It's really not even close. Colston is tall enough to not leave his feet and strong enough to provide some resistance to the defender. Steve Smith on the other hand spends most of his time at WR airborne and getting flipped end-over-end by defenders.

hardly....this is why:

how many times was it ruled that a saints WR was pushed out of bounds last year???

seriously

My thinking is that defenders now have the option of not going for the ball, but using the sideline more as help and opt to keep the receiver from getting both feet in bounds. But, maybe I "huge" was an exagerration. :hihi:

i've NEVER seen a play where a defender held back on hitting a receiver due to the force out rule. never. this rule will have zero impact on how the game is played. none. seriously, have you ever seen a defender ease up on a receiver near the sideline for fear of the rule. no way. to the contrary they hit as hard as possible hpoing to stop the reciver from maintiaining control of the ball (which is was still required under the force out rule). show me one play where a defender was "hesitant" to hit a receiver by a sideline. just one...

This rule will have little if any impact on MOST players. I don't care if your joe smooe, if your an exceptional player, like Colston you will adjust to the rule. Db's adjusted to the 5 yard contact rule instead beating the crap out of wr 15 yds down the field just fine, all this does is even up the playing field a little. Rules are going to change every now an then.Great players adjust and don't make excuses with no drop off. PERIOD.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom