Ford’s Road to Full Autonomy (1 Viewer)

<snipped>
We tend to think in terms of seconds for such an event, but a computer is thinking in nanoseconds. We can lose sight of objects or focus, a computer never does.
<snipped>

Isn't this exactly what happened with the Tesla accident? The car's computer lost site of a truck.

I think with the introduction of the automated vehicles, we will see explorations of them. It will get out that you can do things like cut off an automated car and it will just stop for you. I wonder how road rage will be affected while we have both automated and driver cars at the same time.

In our lifetime we will have laws that make it illegal to drive your own car in metropolitan areas. Sunday driving will again become a pastime as urban dwellers seek the thrill and freedom of controlling your own vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would fully support a law that would make driving personal vehicles downtown illegal (public transportation and foot traffic only). But expanding that to an entire metro area would be a bit much.

I would fully support a law that would make driving personal vehicles downtown illegal (public transportation and foot traffic only). But expanding that to an entire metro area would be a bit much.
It'll start with a small designated area like that. But the radius will quickly expand. Then there will be stretches of busy interstate that will mandate switching to automated mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Isn't this exactly what happened with the Tesla accident? The car's computer lost site of a truck.

I think with the introduction of the automated vehicles, we will see explorations of them. It will get out that you can do things like cut off an automated car and it will just stop for you. I wonder how road rage will be affected while we have both automated and driver cars at the same time.

I've not kept up with that incident so cannot say.

I'd not be opposed to adding beacon's to older vehicles which would alert newer more capable systems of their existence. That should be a relatively cheap add on which could enhance safety for all.

From what I've heard, the real advantages kick in when the cars can actually communicate. Unfortunately as you've pointed out, so too do the disadvantages.

I would imagine that was a fat fingered red thumb.

I truly hope so. It's not the thumb itself that bothers me. It's the lack of sympathy a person might have if it wasn't accidental.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom