Forecast: 2016 Draft is as good for Saints as 2017 Draft (1 Viewer)

RT3

SR is my life!
Reaction score

The Saints only had 5 pick in 2016 and 4 years later we can say 'THEY HIT ON EVERY SINGLE ONE.'
When people wonder, “How are the Saints still winning even without Drew Brees?” The answer is they drafted 9 starters in 2 years starting in 2016.

This has been an all time great run of drafts for this front office. In the span of just a few years they've drafted potentially the greatest RB, WR, and CB in franchise history. We're not talking about just decent starters. We're talking top 5 at their position type players.

It's likely to do down as the two greatest draft classes back to back.

My guess would be the Pittsburgh Steelers of the early seventies would be the biggest rival to that statement.

Last edited:
This has been an all time great run of drafts for this front office. In the span of just a few years they've drafted potentially the greatest RB, WR, and CB in franchise history. We're not talking about just decent starters. We're talking top 5 at their position type players.

What about best RT in Ram? And best C with McCoy? I know it's a little early but hot damn is that impressive.

2017 was better, but 2016 was still an unbelievable draft.

The 2016 draft was a fine example of the virtues of patience! Other than MT, it took the rest of group a couple of years to develop n come around. But that class is lookin pretty good right now!

This is a good example of having to wait 3-5 years to accurately grade a draft class. The top 4 picks are positions that take awhile to develop at the NFL level, 2 DTs, WR and S. WR normally take 3 years to develop into NFL WRs if they do at all and we were spoiled with MT. With the exception of a few DTs that can come in and dominate from day 1 it normally takes DTs a few seasons to develop. A 21/22 y/o DT going against 27-32 y/o experienced offensive lineman is a lot for those young DTs. Upgrading our coaching on the DL has worked wonders with our young defensive lineman. And last, safety takes a while because there is so much safeties have to learn to play the position. I read an article that discussed why there are so many older safeties in the league and it is because of just that, it takes a while for the guys to totally grasp the position at the NFL level. Now we are seeing the benefits of drafting the right players, keeping and developing them and then let them play and produce.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom