Former Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson, considered a friend of Vladimir Putin, to be voted in as Secretary of State today (1 Viewer)

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham may have had their doubts but they are ready to vote in favor of former ExxonMobil chief executive Rex Tillerson to be the next secretary of state. That, in short, means his confirmation is all but assured. “After careful consideration, and much discussion with Mr. Tillerson, we have decided to support his nomination to be Secretary of State,” McCain and Graham said in a statement. “Though we still have concerns about his past dealings with the Russian government and President Vladimir Putin, we believe that Mr. Tillerson can be an effective advocate for U.S. interests.”

Former Exxon CEO Tillerson likely to be confirmed after McCain, Graham express support.

lades

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't worry. Everything will be fine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LNK430YOiT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great news that Tillerson will be confirmed today!...clear enough for you? ?
Why? Have you ever heard of the guy before he was listed as a potential nominee? You don't think his oil money and contacts could be a conflict of interest?

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I would think its clear why someone who likes and supports Trump would like Tillerson. He is not a politician, he was one of the leaders of the world's largest company in a role where he negotiated and structured complex deals in various parts of the world. He hasn;t played a role in a previous Republican Administration (assuming he is a Republican, I don;t know) in a political or non-political role. He is an untraditional choice.

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I would think its clear why someone who likes and supports Trump would like Tillerson. He is not a politician, he was one of the leaders of the world's largest company in a role where he negotiated and structured complex deals in various parts of the world. He hasn;t played a role in a previous Republican Administration (assuming he is a Republican, I don;t know) in a political or non-political role. He is an untraditional choice.
How does being the leader of a PUBLICLY traded integrated energy company automatically mean this person is good for a role at the highest level of government?

One role requires completing deals in the best interest of your stockholders, which as a public company, lends to more short-term emphasis for said stockholders.

The other as part of government where decisions should be made for the benefit of the masses in the long-term.

Any other reasons you have? The above is pretty weak on its own.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jim was being kind to describe why he'd be likeable to a Trump supporter, not to him. Maybe one of the Trump thumpers will use the helping hand to rise to an adult discussion of why they like Tillerson in more detail than the opener there.

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Jim was being kind to describe why he'd be likeable to a Trump supporter, not to him. Maybe one of the Trump thumpers will use the helping hand to rise to an adult discussion of why they like Tillerson in more detail than the opener there.
I wasn't directly attributing anything to Jim either. But since he seems to have knowledge into the minds of Trump supporters, perhaps he can also give a more well thought reason other than the one given.

We all know the usual Trump supporters are only good for the usual 5 word drive bys.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll still hold out hope that one will step up every now and then.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tillerson is actually a pretty smart guy. I think his connections to Russia are a bit troubling, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that he'd sell out his country to them. He did divest himself of his Exxon stock, so he no longer has a direct conflict of interest.

He's not my first pick, but I'm less concerned about him than other Cabinet nominees.

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
How does being the leader of a PUBLICLY traded integrated energy company automatically mean this person is good for a role at the highest level of government?

One role requires completing deals in the best interest of your stockholders, which as a public company, lends to more short-term emphasis for said stockholders.

The other as part of government where decisions should be made for the benefit of the masses in the long-term.

Any other reasons you have? The above is pretty weak on its own.
People let in a community organizer named Obama as president.
How about we all take a chill and see how things shake out in the coming months. Or is the emotion still to raw?

Remember Hillary has a 98% chance of winning. - MSM

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom