Former Lilith Fair regular Michelle Shocked goes on anti-gay rant (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What?? Lord.

Apparently, other gigs on the tour are cancelling.

Singer-songwriter Michelle Shocked has shocked fans after launching an anti-gay rant onstage in San Francisco on Sunday night. The singer – who became a favourite of leftwing music fans with early albums such as The Texas Campfire Tapes and Short Sharp Shocked, but who is now a born-again Christian – began telling the crowd her views of Proposition 8, California's legal definition of marriage being a union between a woman and a man.

"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilisation, and Jesus will come back," Shocked told the crowd at Yoshi's in San Francisco, before many of them reportedly walked out. "You are going to leave here and tell people, 'Michelle Shocked said God hates [derogatory term for gays].'"

The club's manager tried to end the show, but Shocked continued playing until venue staff pulled the plug and turned off the stage lights.

Michelle Shocked enrages fans with onstage anti-gay rant | Music | guardian.co.uk

I just don't understand where these wackos get the idea that the Government would force priests to marry anyone.

I guess free speech only applies to pro left ideals. Wonder if a business owner pulled the plug on a pro gay rant how would the media cover that?

What?? Lord.

Apparently, other gigs on the tour are cancelling.

Michelle Shocked enrages fans with onstage anti-gay rant | Music | guardian.co.uk

I just don't understand where these wackos get the idea that the Government would force priests to marry anyone.

on the issue of homosexuality i agree, this "the gays will bring about the end of the world" mantra has gotten ridiculously tiresome.

I do find one thing interesting, and this is just a another validation that when you dealing with the left side of politics that has a specific agenda, "free speech" only exists for speech they agree with. Doesn't surprise me at all that as soon as this performer starts talking her mind, the concert promoters attempt to silence her by literally pulling the plug.

what a fine example of "tolerance" that is. the first amendment isn't intended to protect popular speech, its intended to protect unpopular speech. in other words, an idiot has a right to look foolish.

I guess free speech only applies to pro left ideals. Wonder if a business owner pulled the plug on a pro gay rant how would the media cover that?

You, sir, are showing your lack of understanding of the first amendment.

the crowd at Yoshi's in San Francisco, before many of them reportedly walked out.

And the venue owner has a responsibility to watch the talent drive paying customers out the door because? Oh, that's right. Business owners only have a right to protect their investments when it's God-fearin' types like Chik-Fil-A.

ohh I understand it was a private venue, media coverage bias is more of the issue vs 1st amendment. she was lucky to not cause a riot

Really?

That's not free speech. That's a private business owner (in San Francisco for Pete's sake) who has some performer on stage making a rant an using offensive language.

He's entirely within his prerogative to shut it down. Has nothing to do with free speech.

on the issue of homosexuality i agree, this "the gays will bring about the end of the world" mantra has gotten ridiculously tiresome.

I do find one thing interesting, and this is just a another validation that when you dealing with the left side of politics that has a specific agenda, "free speech" only exists for speech they agree with. Doesn't surprise me at all that as soon as this performer starts talking her mind, the concert promoters attempt to silence her by literally pulling the plug.

what a fine example of "tolerance" that is. the first amendment isn't intended to protect popular speech, its intended to protect unpopular speech. in other words, an idiot has a right to look foolish.

I just don't get that at all. It has zero to do with free speech or the First Amendment.

The owner is running a business. He probably paid her. He can shut it down if she goes on some rant that his customers might find offensive.

ohh I understand it was a private venue, media coverage bias is more of the issue vs 1st amendment. she was lucky to not cause a riot

What I find tiresome is the ignorance of the First Amendment -- or in DesertKajun's case here, the purposeful twisting of it to score a cheap political point (media bias omg!).

The First Amendment protects speech from government censorship. That is not the issue here.

It doesn't protect an individual from the speech or lawful actions of other individuals.

Shocked (whoever she is) is more than free to let her bigot flag fly during her concerts. I'd be completely opposed to the government trying to step in and block her speech.

Concert goers are more than free to exercise their rights by walking out and choosing to no longer purchase Shocked's music or tickets to her shows.

The operator of a private music venue is more than free to exercise their rights by pulling the plug on her set and kicking her off the stage.

No one's First Amendment rights were violated in this case.

I don't know why religious people are so upset. If you really knew god was coming, just be smug and keep your mouth shut. You're one of the chosen ones and you're going to heaven.

No reason to get all butt hurt over things like gay marriage.

Besides the misconceptions about free speech that have already been addressed, that isn't even what the issue is.

It isn't about her being allowed to speak her mind, the issue is equal rights.

So what is so hard to figure out about why someone would receive more backlash for speaking out against equal rights, compared to someone trying to promote it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom